Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
Get published and Win $1000!
1  2  Next

Yael

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 6:28 am

Is your dream to be a published author? Now you can! Plus, receive a FREE copy of the book with your published story!

The “Be Published” contest is presented to you by Reserve A Book Library, in order to encourage new writers, and in turn, provide others with more to read.

How to enter the contest:
    1. Register—Send an email by July 30, 2017 to Librarian@reserveabookonline.com requesting the Reserve A Book Library story guidelines and a contest application to complete and send back.

2. Write—Write a story, in English, containing 2,000-100,000 words, geared to ages 10-18. You must follow the Reserve A Book Library story guidelines.

3. Send—Send your story to Librarian@reserveabookonline.com by October 31, 2017, in Microsoft Word or Google Doc formats.

4. Win—Grand prize winner will receive $1000, plus a copy of the book with their story, when it is published.
    20 additional winners will receive $25, plus a copy of the book with their story, when it is published!

Keep in mind:
    • Entry is open to ages 12-120.
    • There is no cost to enter the “Be Published” contest.
    • All submissions become the property of Reserve A Book Library.
    • Winners will be chosen at the discretion of Reserve A Book Library. If fewer than 20 stories are chosen, there may be fewer winners.
    • Registration deadline: July 30, 2017
    • Story submission deadline: October 31, 2017

Reserve A Book Library is a Jewish Library redefined. We have a selection of over 5,000 books for all ages, which you can exchange as often as you want, daily, weekly, or monthly, with no due dates or late fees.

Currently located at 1024 51st Street in Boro Park.

To help bring Reserve A Book Library to your neighborhood, contact us at librarian@reserveabookonline.com.

Sponsored Post

lora

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 4:51 pm
I submitted a story when this "contest?" was open two years ago and was told I got excepted and would be published, I wonder what happened though, that was the last I ever heard about it.

pause

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 7:02 pm
lora wrote:
I submitted a story when this "contest?" was open two years ago and was told I got excepted and would be published, I wonder what happened though, that was the last I ever heard about it.

I'm sorry about your story.

WADR to the library, my first thought upon reading the OP is that this is a scam, quite an elaborate way to ferret out stories...

cnc

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 7:11 pm
pause wrote:
I'm sorry about your story.

WADR to the library, my first thought upon reading the OP is that this is a scam, quite an elaborate way to ferret out stories...

OOC, a scam in what way?

pause

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 7:27 pm
cnc wrote:
OOC, a scam in what way?
Get a bunch of great stories for publishing whether in book or magazine form. All submissions become property of the library, so whether someone wins the lottery or not, the author has no claim to her story.

Mevater

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 7:35 pm
lora wrote:

I was thinking of passing this on to the writers in my family.

Thanks for all the time you saved them!

Im grateful.

Yael

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 7:39 pm
Before jumping to conclusions let us allow them to respond. I have emailed them to ask them to reply. When I have a response I will post it.

Alternatively you can email them and ask for clarification.

Mevater

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 7:46 pm
Perhaps the company can provide a list of past winners.

lkwdlady

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 7:59 pm
$1000 is a really nice amount! But only 1 (ONE) person will get that. The thought if sitting a writing a story for only $25 (and a story that I can never use again ...) I would think that it would be more of a incentive to write if they payment were higher. Maybe I'm wrong! It might be a good way to start for a high school girl.

Laiya

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 8:05 pm
Writing contests typically retain the non-exclusive right to publish winners' work. It's strange that they're saying all entries become their property.

oliveoil

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 8:06 pm
Yes. In general with contests where they want to take all rights to all entries, the prize is far more significant.

Mevater

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 5:29 am
What could be their rationale for

"All submissions become the property of Reserve A Book Library"

other than using some of the stories and not paying for them?

lora

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 5:59 am
omg! I did not log in since yesterday and only saw the responses now! im so sorry I did not clarify, when the contest was up two years ago there was no monetary reward being offered as far as I know, they just promised to send a copy of your published book, which I never received... sorry if I wasn't clear.

pause

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 6:33 am
lora wrote:
omg! I did not log in since yesterday and only saw the responses now! im so sorry I did not clarify, when the contest was up two years ago there was no monetary reward being offered as far as I know, they just promised to send a copy of your published book, which I never received... sorry if I wasn't clear.
Bad enough.

oliveoil

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 6:36 am
Mevater wrote:
What could be their rationale for

"All submissions become the property of Reserve A Book Library"

other than using some of the stories and not paying for them?

That's exactly it. They want to be able to use all the stories.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 8:18 am
Don't do it. Sounds very iffy.

rainbow

Post Thu, Jul 20 2017, 5:55 am
Request an application. You'll receive a list of guidelines. The list is extensive and exhaustive.

Yael

Post Thu, Jul 20 2017, 2:22 pm
Reply from Reserve a Book Library.

Yes it is true that we did have some technical difficulties and previous winners were not published yet, now the rest are being worked on and will iyh be published over the next few months.

pause

Post Thu, Jul 20 2017, 5:12 pm
Sounds peachy!

oliveoil

Post Thu, Jul 20 2017, 5:27 pm
Also, why not just post the guidelines here?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics