Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Career change

tovasara

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 9:56 am
I am interested in hearing your experiences if you changed careers at some point in your life. My situation is that I've been working in the same field for almost 30 years and am experiencing a combination of burn out and feeling very unfulfilled. I have ideas of what I want to move on to and am interested in learning from others experiences.

Thank you in advance.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 3:11 pm
Following.
Which field were you in till now?

mha3484

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 3:22 pm
I worked for three different law firms and found that I was not suited for it. I worked for a year in a real estate company and I did like it but my coworker was horrible. I have spent the past 2 1/2 years working in staffing and recruiting and I really enjoy it. I think its the perfect career for me.

tovasara

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 2:03 pm
Computer programming.

ssspectacular

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 7:40 pm
It's very common to change at midlife. I did and am happy about it but I did have to cut back on my spending.

imasinger

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 8:42 pm
My former career, which involved public singing, was not possible when I became BT.

I made a lateral move into music teaching.

You have to be prepared to make beginner's mistakes in your new field. And sometimes to be treated with less respect, until you prove yourself.
And often, to handle a cut in pay.

My advice -- read books on career change, like "what color is your parachute" for helpful tips. Look online, too. Get help revising your resume. Get as much advice on success in your new field as possible. Check in frequently to see how you are doing, and what to improve.

And have fun!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics