Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
How many times did you read/see Harry Potter?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

pesek zman

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 11:26 am
Zero.

Doesn't appeal to me at all

treestump

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 11:28 am
amother wrote:
I have all 7 books on tape and listen to them again and again.
Hated the movies. The whole beauty of the books is the day to day life which is too long for a movie...

I'm waiting for a long Harry Potter TV show.

iammom

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 11:30 am
I've watched the movies and read the books so many times I can't count.

I used to be able to tell you who said what but I'll admit I've gotten rusty over the years.

The beauty of HP is how much thought and research went into every object, name, curse, family tree, concepts etc. Its a quality of book that just isn't so common.

iammom

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 11:31 am
Now, the real proof of being a potterhead is if you sorted yourself into a house and tested which patronus you'd have.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 11:40 am
iammom wrote:
Now, the real proof of being a potterhead is if you sorted yourself into a house and tested which patronus you'd have.

My kids did that for me. They put me in Hufflepuff.

Last night I put DD's folded clothes on her bed and asked her to put it away. I saw she was rather tired and spacey and ended up doing it for her. Right in front of her nose. And then suddenly she spaced in and said, oh, where are my clothes?

So I waved my hand, wand-like, and pointed, and said they all put themselves away!

I love my potterhead.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 11:41 am
treestump wrote:

I still want an entire series dealing with the PTSD and grief they all faced after the war. How the entire society changed and how there was an entire generation who had watched their friends die, was disgusted with the Ministry and its corruption, who had fought with elves and goblins and now fought for equality. How many jobs weren't relevant anymore. How people were messed up. How Hogwarts fell apart or totally reformed.

Not Ron, Hermione, Harry and Ginny just stepping seamlessly into their parents places in the same sort of society, with the same sort of roles, years later.

JKR has released snippets over the years and they did do all that, but I agree, I'd like more detail on what went on in those 19 years. One of the things I like about Fantastic Beasts (aside from seeing the American wizarding community) was that it was about adult characters and you got to see life beyond school. Adult wizards going about their adult lives and how different that is from young wizards in training.

youngishbear

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 11:51 am
Oh, are we complaining about the movies?

I'm grateful to the cast and production teams for doing an amazing job bringing the Wizarding World to life. I can't imagine anyone but Rickman as Snape, nor a different Hermione or Ron.

That said... I have plenty of complaints. Movie Ginny is a disaster! The actor is okay but the lines and direction are just ugh.

In general some of the best parts were omitted and random unecessary stuff added. (The Burrow burning?? Why??) The movies are not anywhere as funny as the books.

I think if JKR had written the scripts these issues could have been avoided.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 11:52 am
I've read that some people are harassed by grown up friends to get sorted etc. Real turn off.

youngishbear

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 11:55 am
iammom wrote:

Na. The real proof is if you made a new account if you didn't like what you got. LOL

And... Do you own anything in your house colors or with its crest?

saw50st8

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 12:15 pm
I've read the first 4 books 100+ times. When I was in college, I used to read one a night.

The last three I've read 5+ times each.

I don't like the movies.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 12:38 pm
The last few movies are much better than the earlier ones.

devash1

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 12:50 pm
I am finding this thread quite comforting because I have a daughter that can read nothing but Harry Potter for hours on end and I was getting really worried. She's always liked to read but never the same book over and over again, she has all of them. Are there any books in Hebrew that kids who like Harry Potter would like because now that she's read this book she can't find anything else that she enjoys.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 12:54 pm
devash1 wrote:
I am finding this thread quite comforting because I have a daughter that can read nothing but Harry Potter for hours on end and I was getting really worried. She's always liked to read but never the same book over and over again, she has all of them. Are there any books in Hebrew that kids who like Harry Potter would like because now that she's read this book she can't find anything else that she enjoys.

They have harry potter in hebrew...

treestump

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 12:55 pm
devash1 wrote:

Is Percy Jackson translated in Hebrew? A lot of young Harry Potter fans like it.
(I haven't read the series though, so I can't vouch for the appropriateness of it.)

devash1

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 12:57 pm
She has all of them in Hebrew so I'm looking for something else that she might enjoy as well. I know not all books are translated into Hebrew. She reads English but on a much lower level than her Hebrew.

youngishbear

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 12:59 pm
Does she enjoy it for the fantasy, interesting characters, mystery, adventure, or something else? I am not much of a fantasy fan but I remember being interested in the Artemis Fowl series when I was a young teen.

devash1

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 1:01 pm
Thanks for the suggestion youngishbear. I think she likes it for all of the above. She really loves to read and she really got into this one more than anything but what she's ever read. She will read other things just not many times as Harry Potter.

youngishbear

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 1:06 pm
devash1 wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion youngishbear. I think she likes it for all of the above. She really loves to read and she really got into this one more than anything but what she's ever read. She will read other things just not many times as Harry Potter.

There are no other fiction books I'm willing to reread as many times as Harry Potter, either. Smile

iammom

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 1:11 pm
Chayalle wrote:
My kids did that for me. They put me in Hufflepuff.

Last night I put DD's folded clothes on her bed and asked her to put it away. I saw she was rather tired and spacey and ended up doing it for her. Right in front of her nose. And then suddenly she spaced in and said, oh, where are my clothes?

So I waved my hand, wand-like, and pointed, and said they all put themselves away!

I love my potterhead.

Baddum tss!

iammom

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 1:12 pm
youngishbear wrote:
Na. The real proof is if you made a new account if you didn't like what you got. LOL

And... Do you own anything in your house colors or with its crest?

I don't.
Hiding in shame... 10 points from Hufflepuff!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics