Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Corporate World: Required to say "You're Welcome"?

amother
Green

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 3:15 pm
I work at a large corporate firm where people often reach out to me with legal questions.
When I respond, and they send a quick "thank you!", do I need to respond "you're welcome" or can their thank you be the end of the conversation?
My hesitation comes because I know that some colleagues are slammed with emails and I prefer not to send redundant emails that many would prefer to not receive. IMO less is more here.
However, I don't want to seem rude by not responding, but would someone really find that rude if you say thank you and I don't respond?

If you're not familiar with corporate culture and offering advice on this thread, please include that in your response. Thanks!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 3:16 pm
First time the person writes thank you, respond. Next time you help them out it's not necessary.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 3:29 pm
I'm an associate at a law firm. I don't expect (or usually get) responses when I thank someone for answering a question sending me a document or some research or whatever.

So no need to respond. Unless you want to fish for additional work or just suck up. In which case you might respond with a line about how you're happy to help and encouraging the person to reach out to you if they have any further questions or anything else comes up.

Also, if you think that there is a culture in your corporation of being scared/intimidated by the legal department and you think a lot of people may have questions that they're afraid to ask, you might also respond to thank you's reiterating how it's no trouble and people should feel free to call or email or stop by anytime.

loveit

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 4:12 pm
Nope, I work in a corporate culture and a thank you is the conversation ended. Above PP had excellent reasons for responding to a thank you and furthering the conversation so I would definitely take her advice

leopardspots

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 4:33 pm
No need to reply to a "thank you", it would be excessive.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 5:46 pm
if the email was a simple "thanks!" or "thank-you" then no response.

If it was a bit longer like 'thank-you for the quick response, the information you provided was spot-on'. Then something like: "Happy to hear that, please let me know if there is anything else I can help with", would be appropriate.

(ie they gave you a bit extra to validate you - so you should validate their efforts for doing so by responding).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette