Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
At what age can a child start eating hot dogs?
1  2  Next

muss

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 3:40 pm
I know they are a chocking hazard so when can they start?

mha3484

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 3:55 pm
My rule of thumb is that when I feel my children can chew their food well I will let them eat grapes, hot dogs etc. I make sure they are sitting and someone is sitting next to them. My oldest one choked on a frozen grape so I would wait a lot longer on those.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 5:26 pm
I have given my fifteenth month old. I skin them and cut them up in small pieces

Fox

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 6:33 pm
I have heard personally from Dr. Lauren Holinger, one of the top pediatric ENT/Otolaryngologists in the U.S. and the head of ENT at Lurie Children's Hospital, that hot dogs, grapes, and hard round candies should never be given to children under the age of 6 -- even cut up.

According to Dr. Holinger, the top reason for emergency pediatric trachotomies is choking on hot dogs, followed by grapes.

I enforced this rule strictly when my kids were little, and it did not win me any popularity contests among the other mommies. Whether or not you choose to observe this rule with your own kids, please don't offer hot dogs/grapes to guests under the age of six or provide grapes for pre-school Shabbos parties, etc. A group of pre-schoolers munching on grapes under the supervision of one or two adults is a disaster waiting to happen.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 6:33 pm
Yuck. Never. Hot dogs are ghastly. So unhealthy

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 6:43 pm
I don't not give my kids hot dogs until they are two+. However, last night my 1 year old stole a few bites off of her older siblings plate....

cm

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 7:27 pm
Our ENT also said age 6.

Fox

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 7:42 pm
Quote:

Age 6 is probably also a good time to teach the lesson that one doesn't offer one's unsolicited opinion about various foods by saying "yuck" or "ghastly" -- whatever their relative healthfulness.

petiteruchy

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 9:07 pm
Wait a minute... I'm supposed to withhold grapes and hotdogs from someone who can ride a bike, swim a length of a pool, read in two languages and go to the bathroom alone? I feel like that's pretty extreme.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 6:52 am
I'm not American. I neither withhold nor cut (nor go yuck on food).

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 7:33 am
pesek zman wrote:

We teach our kids that if they don't like something, they can say "it's not my taste." We also teach them that we don't use negative words like yuck or gross to describe food.

mommy2379

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 7:44 am
[quote="petiteruchy"]Wait a minute... I'm supposed to withhold grapes and hotdogs from someone who can ride a bike, swim a length of a pool, read in two languages and go to the bathroom alone? I feel like that's pretty extreme.[/quote

Even a child who can swim and read and use the bathroom may suddenly jump up off a picnic bench with a half chewed piece of hot dog in his mouth at a bbq...or decide to pop a handful of grapes into his mouth before racing his little sister across the lawn. I do give my six year old grapes but I also try to discuss often how dangerous they are, they need to be fully chewed one at a time and while sitting etc etc....being able to go to the bathroom on ones own has nothing to do with it. Kids move, they're impulsive, they jump around and they don't always properly chew they're food.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 7:50 am
petiteruchy wrote:
Wait a minute... I'm supposed to withhold grapes and hotdogs from someone who can ride a bike, swim a length of a pool, read in two languages and go to the bathroom alone? I feel like that's pretty extreme.

My 6 yr old choked on a lollipop which she was sucking while sitting and not talking.
Doesn't mean I wouldn't give her grapes or hotdogs, I'm just saying, 6 yr olds can choke on those foods too.
I also know an adult who choked on a whole lychee fruit.

cheeseblintz

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 11:25 am
If you cut it up then it's really no different than a lot of other foods. Hot dogs are delicious and kids should start enjoying them around age 18 months.

lizard8

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 12:05 pm
If you peel the hot dog first, and then cut it, its much less likely to be a choking hazard.

petiteruchy

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 12:19 pm
My point was that 6 is extreme. I am all for risk reduction, but there is a point where it's taken too far. And no grapes before grade 1 is extreme IMO. I do enforce sitting while eating, because a) good manners b) reduce mess c) choking. I do encourage chewing carefully - see above. I also encourage adults to have first aid training. I don't think there's a reason for any adult, parents particularly, not to have first aid training which can prevent all sorts of tragedies.

Some people also consider pools and trampolines to be unacceptable risks. It is true that there are horrific injuries and deaths caused by these unnecessary recreations, but I'd rather be aware and cautious than ban something fun and completely ubiquitous.

giselle

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 12:31 pm
Can't see any reason you can't give them peeled and cut up. Not any more chokable than other foods. In fact challa can be very chokable if not given in tiny pieces.

browser

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 12:35 pm
JuSt cut into small pieces. I buy "uncured" from empire. So it's not full of nitrates.

Last edited by browser on Wed, Jul 19 2017, 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

groovy1224

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 12:38 pm
Fox wrote:
I have heard personally from Dr. Lauren Holinger, one of the top pediatric ENT/Otolaryngologists in the U.S. and the head of ENT at Lurie Children's Hospital, that hot dogs, grapes, and hard round candies should never be given to children under the age of 6 -- even cut up.

Just curious, why would a hot dog or a grape cut lengthwise still be a choking hazard? Especially if it's been peeled?

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 12:40 pm
A whole hotdog is good for a six year old. I would give slices the size of quarters.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics