Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Is margarine still less healthy than oil?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 10:15 pm
If margarine doesn't include trans fat anymore, is there any reason to still substitute oil (referring to canola oil, not a healthier alternative)?

Moonlight

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 10:55 pm
I think so. It is still a solid at room temperature and in your artieries. ....

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 11:02 pm
Moonlight wrote:
I think so. It is still a solid at room temperature and in your artieries. ....

What makes it worse than oil? That it's solid? Or because of its other ingredients?

mha3484

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 11:02 pm
Some recipes don't work with oil. You need a hard fat and you can't use butter so margarine or coconut oil are your only choices.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 11:04 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Some recipes don't work with oil.

I understand that. But, in recipes that you have the option of interchanging - why is the oil better than the margarine?

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 11:04 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Some recipes don't work with oil.

I understand that. But, in recipes that you have the option of interchanging - why is the oil better than the margarine?

iammom

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 11:09 pm
The way I see it is how I once read - however hard it is to wash a fat off your hands that shows how hard it is to wash it out internally. So it's harder to wash margarine off your hands than oil - imagine how stuck it is inside your body.
Don't know if this makes sense but that's how I picture it.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 11:13 pm
iammom wrote:
The way I see it is how I once read - however hard it is to wash a fat off your hands that shows how hard it is to wash it out internally. So it's harder to wash margarine off your hands than oil - imagine how stuck it is inside your body.
Don't know if this makes sense but that's how I picture it.

That's definitely a cute analogy. I wonder if there's any scientific basis to that though...

iammom

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 11:17 pm
amother wrote:
That's definitely a cute analogy. I wonder if there's any scientific basis to that though...

I wonder too Very Happy

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 11:33 pm
Generally, the more processed, the less healthy. Is margarine more processed than healthy oils? Yes. Canola is really processed too though, so that might be a coin toss.

Health is a Virture

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 7:00 am
margarine is homogenized fat, oil is non-homogenized. at one point, health people were trying to make margarine illegal. margarine is unhealthy---not all oils are unhealthy, in fact, olive oil and flaxseed oil are very healthy

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 7:03 am
Vegetal margarine is prescribed by cardiologists.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 8:20 am
OK, OP, let's get this back on track because I've been wondering too.
Let's say there's a binary choice. Margarine that says no trans fat, and canola oil. Coconut oil, safflower oil, olive oil, et al, are NOT options.
Discuss.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 9:20 am
Health is a Virture wrote:
at one point, health people were trying to make margarine illegal

Yes, but that was only because of the extremely high amount of trans fat included. All the 'propaganda' against margarine that blew up over the past years was about the trans fat, which was at first greatly reduced and now all, but close to disappearing.

So the question remains, is canola oil more healthy than margarine or not?

And as Pinkfridge said, for many of us these are the only options we are choosing between so the point isn't whether there are healthier oils available, but which of these two are better and why. (The lesser of the two evils, if you wish.)

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 11:19 am
amother wrote:

And as Pinkfridge said, for many of us these are the only options we are choosing between so the point isn't whether there are healthier oils available, but which of these two are better and why. (The lesser of the two evils, if you wish.)

TBH, I do use other oils to some degree. But I do want a direct answer too as those are the primary fats I use. (And - please no hate letters - shortening sometimes. Twisted Evil Then again, shortening I also trans free these days so somewhat better than our mothers' Crisco, right?)

studying_torah

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 12:15 pm
I'd love to know as well, is trans fat free margarine or shortening worse than canola oil or have I been fooling myself?

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 12:26 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
OK, OP, let's get this back on track because I've been wondering too.
Let's say there's a binary choice. Margarine that says no trans fat, and canola oil. Coconut oil, safflower oil, olive oil, et al, are NOT options.
Discuss.

What is your margarine made of in this binary choice?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 1:51 pm
amother wrote:

If I *cough cough* had such a box in the h*cough*ouse I'd get up to check now. Assume it's standard J&J/heimish or Fleischmanns. Just for the fun of it.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 1:53 pm
amother wrote:

(Admit it, you're really thinking, What is your poison margarine made of etc. Very Happy )

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 10:34 pm
I don't know which is better but I have a funny story.
I bought margarine for Pesach right after Purim and went to put it into my freezer. I guess I forgot to put it in and on Pesach when I went to look for it I found it on top of the freezer.
It looked ok so I googled if it was okay to use and what I found out shocked me. Many people don't refrigerate margarine because it is mainly chemicals and I think I read it is one or two ingredients away from plastic.
I have to say that I used it and not one person for sick.
I made a rule to really try not to bring it into the house anymore.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking