Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Faiga
1  2  Next

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 2:27 pm
We are concidering to name our next baby (if it will be a girl)
faiga or faiga leah

any nickname ideas?

tigerwife

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 2:32 pm
Faigy
Faye
I actually like how Faiga Leah sounds better than Faiga on its own.
Some people convert Faiga to Ciporah.

crust

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 2:36 pm
I know a Faigy whos nickname is Birdy.

CDL

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 3:03 pm
Layla

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 3:25 pm
thank you for your input.

we also prefer faiga leah to just faiga

I dont want it to be pronounced as in "hey", but rather "eye"

layla sounds nice

a friend suggestted 'faigush' or 'faigaleh' .... hm...we are not sure yet.

tovli toraspicha

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 3:25 pm
Faigala
Faigie
Fayla
Layala
Fay

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 3:30 pm
thank you tovli

faigale sounds really cute and it even combines both names in a way Smile

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 3:49 pm
Where do you live? If you live in the US, I don't think that "Faigele" is a very good nickname. Maybe elsewhere, it doesn't have the same connotation.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 4:09 pm
The name Faiga translates to the word Fig. The name Faigl translates to bird and is similar to the name Tziporah.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 4:10 pm
amother wrote:
Where do you live? If you live in the US, I don't think that "Faigele" is a very good nickname. Maybe elsewhere, it doesn't have the same connotation.

Lei or Lee is a common second name is certain US regions. So the ele added on to Yiddish names is somewhat familiar to some.
But I wouldn't worry about normal and accepted today since foreign names are becoming more and more commonplace.

iyar

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 4:46 pm
Chayalle wrote:
The name Faiga translates to the word Fig. The name Faigl translates to bird and is similar to the name Tziporah.

Not sure you're right.
Are you sure you're right?
I know a lot more Faiga's than Faigl's, and the name is associated with a winged feathered creature, not a fruit. The common Yiddish name ends in a aleph; the version ending in a lamed isn't heard a lot. A lot of Faiga's become Tzippora or Cypora or some bird-like name if their mothers don't want to give the Yiddish version.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 4:54 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Lei or Lee is a common second name is certain US regions. So the ele added on to Yiddish names is somewhat familiar to some.
But I wouldn't worry about normal and accepted today since foreign names are becoming more and more commonplace.

I thought the poster was referring to the slang meaning of the name.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 4:55 pm
Iymnok wrote:

Sure, foreign names are accepted. But not when they have another connotation in English. So Fuku may be a lovely name in Japan, but I wouldn't name my kid that in the US. And Titty is apparently a nickname for Leticia, but only if you're cruel.

Faygeleh is an offensive term for gay men. No matter how accepted foreign names are, its not one I'd saddle my kid with.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 5:06 pm
amother wrote:
Sure, foreign names are accepted. But not when they have another connotation in English. So Fuku may be a lovely name in Japan, but I wouldn't name my kid that in the US. And Titty is apparently a nickname for Leticia, but only if you're cruel.

Faygeleh is an offensive term for gay men. No matter how accepted foreign names are, its not one I'd saddle my kid with.

Isn't it an offensive term in Yiddish? What does it have to do with America?
I think there are still a lot of girls with this name

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 7:55 pm
iyar wrote:
Not sure you're right.
Are you sure you're right?
I know a lot more Faiga's than Faigl's, and the name is associated with a winged feathered creature, not a fruit. The common Yiddish name ends in a aleph; the version ending in a lamed isn't heard a lot. A lot of Faiga's become Tzippora or Cypora or some bird-like name if their mothers don't want to give the Yiddish version.

Alot of people don't know yiddish. A bird in yiddish is a faigl, not a faiga.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 8:08 pm
Chayalle wrote:

I've heard this as well. From a friend who's name is Faigel, and another friend who used the name for her daughter.

tigerwife

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 10:34 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Alot of people don't know yiddish. A bird in yiddish is a faigl, not a faiga.

Interesting. I actually know a few Tziporah Faigas, one is a women in her 60s. I always thought it was an Aryeh Leib kind of name.

crust

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 11:08 pm
amother wrote:

If we are discussing the same thing here, the meaning for Faygeleh is much broader than the definition you use.
With all due respect to wiki, Faygeleh is a generalized, old fashioned adjective for any boy/girl/man/woman who, is trying to flee the system or institution s/he was affiliated with.

Faygelech come in many versions, and can range from s/he has new ideas, to s/he tends to make impulsive businesss moves, to s/he is an independent thinker, to s/he enjoys non mainstream fun, to s/he doesn't want a kollel/ learning lifestyle and on and on.

It can be used as an adjective; s'nisht azoy fogeldig.... It's not so glittery or,
As a noun; 'Faygelech in kup'. Has Ideas flying in head... someone with Faygelech in kup, is sometimes called a Faygaleh.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 11:53 pm
It can be Faiga like תאנה פייגן
or Faigel ציפור פייגל bird.
The word is not faigala its fligala (wings) and it means a person with more then one partner.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Jul 20 2017, 2:55 am
so what is the offensive term again? fligele or faigale? im so confused. we dont live in the U.S. but I certainly wouldnt want my daughter to have a nickname which is offensive Sad

people actually use the word to insult others, did I understand that correctly?

I just thougt faigale sounds cute. sorry
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names