Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Career change? court reporter /stenographer?

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Jul 20 2017, 7:14 pm
Are you a court reporter or stenographer? or do you know of someone in this profession?

I am thinking of this as a profession, but I wanted to know a little about it.

I live in nyc, and I am wondering if anyone knows about schools here or online. But, if it is online. I don't know how I would practice without a machine. The machines are expensive.

Anyone with information, please post.

Thank you.

Maya

Post Thu, Jul 20 2017, 7:21 pm
I got my degree in Court and Realtime Reporting, but I am not working in that field. There are certificate programs which don't provide all the requisite liberal arts classes that a degree requires. It's considered a well paying field.

The schooling is really difficult. I did it all online at a SUNY, and you must buy a machine either way whether you're doing online schooling or going to a brick-and-mortar school.
If you want to be good enough to get a job, you must practice at least three hours every day in addition to the assigned schoolwork. My program also demanded many hours of internship.

When I graduated, there weren't many jobs available, but I hear that's changed. You should do more research about that. Some people say the market is expected to grow, while others say it's a matter of time before voice recording takes over.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Jul 20 2017, 7:29 pm
thanks for the reply maya. Did you buy a machine? So far, I have seen they cost at least $2500, am I correct?

Thanks for all the information.

Maya

Post Thu, Jul 20 2017, 7:32 pm
amother wrote:
thanks for the reply maya. Did you buy a machine? So far, I have seen they cost at least $2500, am I correct?

Thanks for all the information.

I don't remember how much I paid, and I believe that student machines are cheaper, but yes they are very expensive. Maybe $800 or so.
I still have mine, if you're interested in a steeply discounted machine Smile

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Jul 20 2017, 7:35 pm
thanks again maya, as of now, I am only finding out information about this, as I am in a different career and would have to figure out how I would have time to practice 3 hours a day with little kids and a full time job. I am doing research about it now, but I am not sure if I can start school yet being so busy now.

Thanks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics