Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Steps too short now- possible to add to depth?
1  2  Next

amother
Pewter

Post Sat, Jul 22 2017, 10:54 pm
We redid our steps but they cut it too short, so it's not deep enough, the actual step the part you step on, it's about 8 inches deep and we want it at least 10 inches. Is there anything to add to the step maybe metal piece so that we dont have to do the entire steps all over. Any links would be helpful.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 12:49 am
In the US the standard tred rise is 7", the standard tred depth is 10". Are these interior or exterior stairs? What materials are used in construction?

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 2:27 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
In the US the standard tred rise is 7", the standard tred depth is 10". Are these interior or exterior stairs? What materials are used in construction?

The depth is too short for interior stairs, it's hardwood.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 2:37 am
amother wrote:
The depth is too short for interior stairs, it's hardwood.

I'm an accomplished finish carpenter and I would never attempt interior hardwood stairs. You may want to hire someone with experience in closed stair construction. Its an art unto itself. Also check your local building codes. Most indicate permissible stair standards.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 11:35 am
Did you have an architect? Where his specifications for the stairs followed? If not, then it is the builder's responsibility to redo them.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 11:43 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
I'm an accomplished finish carpenter and I would never attempt interior hardwood stairs. You may want to hire someone with experience in closed stair construction. Its an art unto itself. Also check your local building codes. Most indicate permissible stair standards.

We wouldn't do it ourselves, but I'm wondering if we have to redo the whole steps or if something can be added.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 11:48 am
OOTBubby wrote:
Did you have an architect? Where his specifications for the stairs followed? If not, then it is the builder's responsibility to redo them.

No architecht. The guy who did the steps should have told us it was too short, he said it will be only a little shorter but it was almost 2 inches shorter.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 11:50 am
amother wrote:
No architecht. The guy who did the steps should have told us it was too short, he said it will be only a little shorter but it was almost 2 inches shorter.

Didn't you have a contract or plans you signed off on stating exact dimensions? If so and that is what was built, it is up to you to get it fixed, BUT if it was not built to the specifications signed on, then whoever built it must fix it.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 11:55 am
OOTBubby wrote:
Didn't you have a contract or plans you signed off on stating exact dimensions? If so and that is what was built, it is up to you to get it fixed, BUT if it was not built to the specifications signed on, then whoever built it must fix it.

It didnt state depth of stairs on contract. Either way we're going to need to fix it, but I'm wondering if we can add something on top of the steps to make it 2-3 inches longer or if we have to redo the entire staircase.

happy12

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 12:09 pm
adding something wont work because the depth of the step beneath it will the be affected

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 3:35 pm
amother wrote:

You got burned, but if you didn't have the job specified properly you have no one to blame but yourself. The guy told you he wasn't going to complete the job to standards (no less to code) and you gave him the job anyway. For future reference be sure to have any change of work in writing. Is this guy even a contractor?

justmarried:)

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 3:43 pm
2" x the amount of stairs you have can add up? Do you even have the space for the extra 2" x the amount of stairs

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 4:06 pm
happy12 wrote:
adding something wont work because the depth of the step beneath it will the be affected

All the steps would have to have something added, not just one or two.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 4:07 pm
justmarried:) wrote:
2" x the amount of stairs you have can add up? Do you even have the space for the extra 2" x the amount of stairs

We have room because the nose was cut off- and that was about 1.5 inches.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 4:50 pm
amother wrote:
We have room because the nose was cut off- and that was about 1.5 inches.

What are you calling the nose? Are you talking about the overhang of a tred over a riser?

Did this person remove the existing stairs and rehang the new ones?

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 4:57 pm
amother wrote:
It didnt state depth of stairs on contract. Either way we're going to need to fix it, but I'm wondering if we can add something on top of the steps to make it 2-3 inches longer or if we have to redo the entire staircase.

Perhaps you can change the treads or cut the tread length wise and insert an insert in the middle there. My understanding is that you want to cantilever something on the end two inches. How is this supposed to support weight? Also will it be ugly?

Do the steps have a rounded nose?

justmarried:)

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 5:01 pm
How many steps are too short?

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 5:24 pm
amother wrote:
All the steps would have to have something added, not just one or two.

Each time the tred is made deeper, the step below will need even more depth added to it. This is not a one to one ratio. As each of the subsequent trends is added to, the depth of the stringers will have to be adjusted. If the stringers were pre made and bought at lowes or Home Despot you cannot safely adjust them.

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 5:48 pm
It sounds to me her guy cut the nose off the treads.

OP, where are you located?

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 7:13 pm
Hee cut off a part that hangs over the next step for all steps. All the steps originally had it so it would not affect the depth of the other steps because they were there originally. The stairs are covered with hard wood prefinished wood and a rounded prefinished wood nose over the part that he cut. What is a stringer?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics