Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Filling a Lot of Cavities - local or general anesthesia?
Previous  1  2

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 6:06 pm
We've been through similar many years ago. We did 1 or 2 at a time without any numbing. Find a great pediatric dentist who can do it quickly without pain.
Don't go the general anesthesia route. It's very dangerous. And if you have to go that route, go to a very reputable hospital, no compromising on that one.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 7:04 pm
Mommy1! wrote:
UGH! Just called the dentist to say that I would like to do local and the receptionist made me feel so guilty. She said it would be 4 visits to do all four sides and there would be numbness for 2 hours after each time. Anyone have experience with a good dentist in Lakewood? Or experience with Jersey Shore hospital's dentistry work? I am new to this city and this whole dental issue thing... THANKS!

Yes! My 8 yr old daughter is slightly autistic and had sensory issues. She was barely able to sit thru cleaning. I took her to a dentist in lkwd who was HORRIBLE and told me that she had 8 cavities(not chemed.) I spoke to someone who has a special needs child and she told me she took her child to Dr ben Sherman in Avon NJ. He was so nice! He recommended dental surgery with full anestitia since she needed so much dental work. Dr Sherman did the surgery at Jersey shore. Best decision ever. And Jersey care covered the surgery 100%!

Orchid

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 7:39 pm
1. Get a second opinion. Happens many times - dentists over-diagnose.
2. If you go the GA route, you must do it in a hospital where an anesthesiologist will be present. NOT IN THE DENTIST's OFFICE.

Mommy1!

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 10:51 pm
Thanks everyone for your advice. I really appreciate it. I think I am going to take her for a second opinion and take it from there.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 6:34 am
amother wrote:
How many pediatric dentists would you try with a kid who is literally kicking and screaming out of genuine fear, and who gags and throws up, before giving up on finding someone who can work on him/her without general anesthesia?

same question

And yes in my country there is no option to not do it as real surgery!

mom2six

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 6:40 am
We've done both, but I always tried local before resorting to general. The risks of general anesthesia are low if it's done in a competent setting with an anesthesiologist present.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics