Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Overweight

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 1:36 pm
I'm extremely overweight now.

Some history - was always very skinny. Just was lucky. Ate what I wanted. Was never particularly healthy (I had way too many carbs) but it would shed with no work

Post babies, not the case anymore.

Now I'm extremely extremely overweight. Also have distasis recti. I was told I have pcos. Then told I don't. Went to my gp - no thyroid issues, not low on anything etc...

Now, no matter what I do, the weight won't go away. I'm eating much much healthier, working out (not much, but for someone so out of shape like me it's a ton)

My friend suggested an Endocrinologist. My parents think PT to take care of my scoliosis /cyphosis (not severe) but that will also help posture and getting more fit.

I don't know where to even start!

While my first course would usually be my gp - I moved and haven't selected a new one yet. My old one (half hr away) doesn't know me personally and has 6,000 patients....not someone id run to anyways and when I went last he said all was okay

TLDR version - I was always lucky with my metabolism. Now it's shot. I'm eating much healthier than I used to and worked out much more, but not getting a y where...

Wondering if anyone has been in this situation and found help

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 7:10 pm
Anyone?

LeahRivka

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 1:50 am
I'm also very overweight, but my circumstances are quite different. Sorry you're having a hard time. Don't give up! There is an answer for you out there, you just have to find it.

thanks

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 8:11 am
I suggest logging everything you eat using myfitnesspal or another app. You will then see how many calories you are eating. Eating healthy is very important, but not necessarily will it bring weight loss. Once you log this, you will see what your next step is regarding food.

If you keep up your exercise, you will see a difference. That does not mean going to PT necessarily. You can join a gym, get a personal trainer if you can afford, or find any way to motivate yourself.

Good Luck!

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 10:40 am
Definitely address the health issues and go to PT if called for.

There are lots of calories in supposedly healthier food choices like salads.

I find the only way to lose is to count calories. I am a myfitnesspal fan. I am also like the Mayo Clinic. Today I read about Mindful Eating and took a quiz. Cooking Light prints delicious lo-cal recipes that the entire family enjoys. They have ingredients like butter in them.

Jewishmom8

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 10:46 am
I feel silly always saying this but I will say it again because it totally changed my life.
I lost a lot of weight and my relationship with food has changed totally.
look into the whole 30
one of the best things I have ever done.
try it for 30 days.

miami85

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 12:57 pm
I would suggest looking into the HCG/TrimYou Spray diet. I don't sell it and I have no vested interest in it. But when I was in a similar situation, it was the ONLY thing that worked for me. I also recommended it to a friend of mine and she's still doing it, but she's gone from a 3x to a size 18 since earlier this year. and she wants to go through the summer to get back to a healthy weight--she looks SO much better now. My husband lost 40lbs in 3 months and looked amazing as well! I lost 50 lbs in 6 months--I had similar situations, I was never skinny but no matter what I ate my weight stayed the same while I was single, but after my 3rd was born my weight skyrocketed and I had no energy or time to get in exercise. Eating healthfully as much as I could never seemed to move the scale. On the diet, I felt amazing eating so few calories and I looked great. Part of the reason I stopped was a)I couldn't afford a whole new wardrobe at that point, but also I got pregnant--which was partially my goal.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 1:09 pm
Thank you all for your responses.

I went to nutritionist and lost lots of weight (last yr) but I don't want to go that route - I didn't believe in what she made me eat, lots of diet products/Splenda...
I also hired personal trainer but my diastasis recti got worse 🙁 T the end of six months we measured again and I lost everywhere except for belly area

I'm looking for a HEALTHY way of eating that will make me lose weight. Not diet products. Is that possible other than counting calories? (which I just found so hard to calculate - I've tried it)

I don't want anything that will restrict one item forever (like I believe ketogenic does?) although I have to admit I don't know much h about nutrition other than the one plan my nutritionist gave me

juggling

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 1:20 pm
Try the 17-day diet. The first 17 days, actually the first 34 days, are fairly restrictive. You can eat a lot, no calorie counting, but your options of what you can eat are quite limited. Nutritionally balanced, but limited. After the first 34 days it gets much easier.

happinessseeker

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 1:27 pm
I stay away from sugar and flour. I eat so many delicious things (within reason - I try to practice portion control) but I automatically stay away from junk food this way and lose weight while feeling satisfied. Veggies and protein are the way to go! (I stay away from fruit but if U must u can have limited fruit)

miami85

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 1:30 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you all for your responses.

I went to nutritionist and lost lots of weight (last yr) but I don't want to go that route - I didn't believe in what she made me eat, lots of diet products/Splenda...
I also hired personal trainer but my diastasis recti got worse 🙁 T the end of six months we measured again and I lost everywhere except for belly area

I'm looking for a HEALTHY way of eating that will make me lose weight. Not diet products. Is that possible other than counting calories? (which I just found so hard to calculate - I've tried it)

I don't want anything that will restrict one item forever (like I believe ketogenic does?) although I have to admit I don't know much h about nutrition other than the one plan my nutritionist gave me

The HCG/ TrimYou system does a lot of detox/metabolism reset, and once you are at a healthier weight you may be more motivated to eat healthier and crave fewer carbs/sweets. The foods you eat are real, rely on some artificial sweetners--but mostly stevia, but only short term, and you don't have to continue unless you want to. It promotes eating REAL food and making your own food so you know exactly what's in it, so it can retrain your cooking and meal prep habits. The TrimYou system doesn't restrict anything forever--unless you see that you react to it, and then its a personal choice whether you choose to continue with it.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 2:06 pm
I am responding with advise but the truth is that at the moment I also need to loose weight and having a hard time (which was why I clicked on your thread). I haven't been sticking to my eating plan which works and for some reason even though I just put on 10 lbs I just cant find the emotional energy to completely stick with it. But here is what works and my story:

In the past I have also gone to nutritionists but could not keep up with what they wanted me to eat. I was hungry! I also spent money on vitamins and shakes ...didn't work. I just couldn't so it and hated being hungry and feeling deprived. Then I joined weight watchers .. but I didn't have the stamina to stick with it. And then ..about a yr and half after I joined weight watchers, I was in a very embarrassing, uncomfortable situation due to my weight. At that point, I told myself that I have a real eating disorder and I have to do something .... I went back to weight watchers and this time I stuck with it. To be honest, the first week was hard - just figuring out how it worked, what I was able to eat. After the 1st wk I went back to weight watchers to weigh in and was happy to see that I lost 2 lbs. I certainly needed to loose waaay more than 2 lbs but I saw that if I would stick with this way of eating, I would loose. The following wk was not hard for me. I knew what to eat that would leave me feeling satisfied. When I went to weigh in for wk 2 I lost 2.5 lbs! This really motivated me to continue. I think within 6 months I had lost 25 lbs. The thing about weight watchers is that it is not a diet, rather a healthy way to eat. I did very little exercise and was still able to loose. This is what worked for me and has worked for many people. I kept the weight off by sticking with it somewhat - once I lost most of my weight, I was able to "cheat" here and there but I always went right back on to my eating program ..it felt great to look good again! I would strongly recommend that you join weight watchers. If you are motivated to make it work ...you will loose so much the first few months. If you need an extra push, join and exercise class for ladies 2-3 times a week. You WILL NOT be able to stick with an excercise program on your own (or a diet). Being with a group of people who have the same goal can really help you. You will probably be in much better health, have better posture once you get rid of that weight. Don't think you can't do it because you have so much to loose. You can do it and hundreds of women like you have done it too!

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 2:45 pm
It is difficult to lose weight and not touch Splenda and the likes. It is definitely possible but you are so much more limited with snacks and things. There are lots of treats out there these days which are very low calorie and fat and sugar free but they will have sugar substitutes. My dr told me it's better and healthier to eat the sugar free stuff than to eat sugar. Even for my kids. Obviously not everyone will agree with him but both have pros and cons.

Weight watchers is great but I don't agree that it's a healthy way of eating like some others said. You can eat any junk you want as long as the points add up.

In my experience following a very healthy food plan and having accountability to someone whether it's a friend, nutritionist or sponsor is most successful. It's really really hard to do this on your own.

Good luck!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise