Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Ketogenic diet and 9 days
1  2  Next

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 3:21 pm
I'm on a keto diet (very low carb, high protein). I am allergic to fish. I usually eat at least 1 fleishig meal a day. Am just going to have to live off eggs this week? I can have beans but there's a limit because of the starch. Need ideas!

chatz

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 4:36 pm
Have you asked a Rav? There are circumstances where people can eat meat, especially if there are health concerns.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 4:36 pm
Consult a rav. None of us are rabbanim but it sounds like you might get a heter, and if you do, this is not bedieved but lechatchila for you.
Is this a new diet? Has your doctor recommended it? Be prepared for these kinds of questions and hatzlacha!

cbg

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 4:48 pm
Cauliflower crust pizza

You can make tacos from all cheese and stuff it with shredded lettuce tomato cucumber peppers onions etc

Can you have tofu, you can make a Chinese stir fry with tofu

I'll think some more

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 4:53 pm
I did not think to ask, figured I could just survive for a week. I recently found out I'm pre-diabetic so the diet really is very important. I guess I'll ask.

cbg

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 4:56 pm
You can make burgers, ground beef, meatloaf using nuts and ground mushrooms.

cbg

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 5:31 pm
Google search ketobetic Aline
She cured her diabetes using a ketogenic diet.
Maybe you can email her and ask what to do
Very inspiring videos and she gives lots of recipes

smss

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 6:43 pm
You don't eat dairy? Keto does allow full-fat dairy.

I am doing keto but can't have dairy. Did not get a heter for meat. Planning to eat eggs, tuna, salmon, rinse, repeat.

ETA: just saw you can't have fish. Is cheese a problem for you though?

Also, my understanding is that eating high protein actually can impair ketosis. AFAIK keto is low carb, high fat, moderate protein. I usually eat a palm size amount of protein (about 4 oz) at each meal. Or 2-3 eggs.

Last edited by smss on Sun, Jul 23 2017, 6:47 pm; edited 2 times in total

marina

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 6:44 pm
eggs veggies tofu cheese. salads, nuts, cheese cake, so much

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 6:54 pm
smss wrote:
You don't eat dairy? Keto does allow full-fat dairy.

I am doing keto but can't have dairy. Did not get a heter for meat. Planning to eat eggs, tuna, salmon, rinse, repeat.

ETA: just saw you can't have fish. Is cheese a problem for you though?

Also, my understanding is that eating high protein actually can impair ketosis. AFAIK keto is low carb, high fat, moderate protein. I usually eat a palm size amount of protein (about 4 oz) at each meal. Or 2-3 eggs.

Yeah I can have dairy. But cheese is a snack or a part of something I might be eating. It's not something that is the main dish. I'm looking for something to make real meals out of.

cbg

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 7:09 pm
amother wrote:
Yeah I can have dairy. But cheese is a snack or a part of something I might be eating. It's not something that is the main dish. I'm looking for something to make real meals out of.

A huge cheese veggie omelet with a big salad with avocado and a keto friendly dressing.

What do you usually do on the 9 days

Are you being guided on the keto diet
As someone mentioned above you are suppose to eat MODERATE protein.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 7:25 pm
cbg wrote:
A huge cheese veggie omelet with a big salad with avocado and a keto friendly dressing.

What do you usually do on the 9 days

Are you being guided on the keto diet
As someone mentioned above you are suppose to eat MODERATE protein.

I only started a few months ago so haven't dealt with the 9 days yet. I have a big omelet with cheese and veggies for breakfast every day, I can't do that 3 times a day (well I suppose I could if have to, but looking for other ideas). Yes I'm seeing a dietician who specializes in diabetes related things. You're right, moderate protein and high in good days. I guess I lump far and protein together since they often go together.

smss

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 7:55 pm
amother wrote:
I only started a few months ago so haven't dealt with the 9 days yet. I have a big omelet with cheese and veggies for breakfast every day, I can't do that 3 times a day (well I suppose I could if have to, but looking for other ideas). Yes I'm seeing a dietician who specializes in diabetes related things. You're right, moderate protein and high in good days. I guess I lump far and protein together since they often go together.

What about a zucchini/ cauliflower/ spaghetti squash crust pizza? Or zucchini noodles with marinara sauce and cheese? Broccoli with melted cheese... roasted Portobello mushrooms with sauce and cheese... look on Pinterest/online, there are so many recipes! You can even make breads and (as marina mentioned) cheesecake and stuff...

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 8:13 pm
I am not a rabbi, but IMHO if this diet is for your health and not vanity, then I don't think you'll have a problem getting a heter.

If you want a rabbi that specializes in medical ethics and halacha, try contacting R. Moshe Kletenic in Seattle. He's not the friendliest sort, but he's brilliant and excellent with medical issues.

smss

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 8:21 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I am not a rabbi, but IMHO if this diet is for your health and not vanity, then I don't think you'll have a problem getting a heter.

Well, the thing is that there ARE proteins she can eat, it just might get a little boring. I was told that unless I feel weak/sick (which I doubt will happen as long as I'm eating adequate amounts of the proteins I can have), no fleishigs.

(Of course OP should/can ask her own shaila.)

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 8:21 pm
My brother in law is diabetic and controls it with a keto diet I asked my sister what she is making this week and here is her list:
Zucchini skillet lasagna, eggplant parmesan, spaghetti squash Alfredo, stuffed zucchini boats, stuffed peppers. Portobello mushrooms. Zucchini pie.

Hope that helps!

cbg

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 8:30 pm
Busy in Brooklyn has a great recipe for mini stuffed peppers with cottage cheese. Tried it on Pesach it was really really good.

Eggplant Parmesan is also a great option
Zucchini noodle pad Thai with warm peanut dressing

You could make keto breads, muffins, wraps, from flaxseed and also flaxseed crackers for breakfast and snacks. It's really easy if you have a microwave.

May I suggest a flaxseed roll with cream cheese, lettuce, tomato for breakfast.
A veggie omlete or any egg dish with a big salad for lunch
Or vice versa

And a cheesy dish for dinner eggplant Parmesan, cauliflower crust pizza, stuffed peppers, brocolli and cheese, cheesy taco shells, stuff portabella mushroom with spinach and cheese, quiche either crust less or almond meal crust, zucchini model pad Thai. There are 8 dinners - no room to get bored.
The truth is if I were you, that week I'd just make any veggie and throw some cheese on top just because that's the easiest.

If you need recipes let me know I have tons of links.

cbg

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 8:40 pm
Here's a recipe for keto falafel balls using hemp hearts and cilantro.
https://www.eatfatbeatfat.com/.....lafel
They look soooo yum

They have tons of recipes, the pancakes look good too.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 10:30 pm
Thanks for the ideas! FF, funny you mention Rabbi Kletenik. I've never met him but I'm good friends with his daughter.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 2:57 am
I know someone who has severe dietary issues. She has steak during the nine days.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note