Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Selling on ebay
Previous  1  2

MrsLeo

Post Mon, Nov 26 2007, 12:14 am
rachel19977 wrote:
We've been selling on eBay for 7 years and still going strong. We sell new items from Macy's and WalMart, and JCPenny, depending on the deal. You need CONNECTIONS to get that - the new items.

Before we moved to Israel we sold our business and they are still selling on eBay, with a warehouse store in Florida.

Last year we set up a friend also in the States with the Macy's items - new- and they are doing VERY WELL on eBay - Baruch Hashem.

If you want more information on where to start, please PM me. If you get a containor or a pallet of toys, makeup, or whatever you are interested in, it's great RIGHT NOW because of the X-mas season!

If that is too hard for you, if you have kids, always buy the "good quality stuff" from Gap, Children Place, and Osh Kosh, even Carters. Gymboree. Hit the stores hard when there's sales and you'll find $1.00 items. Travel to the outlets and get the stuff. Re-sell them on eBay. They go for the retail price if not more, that's not with your markup of shipping.

When I started selling on eBay I'd sell my old stuff - even my used "MAC" makeup, old shirts that were too small/big, stuff laying around. I got "smarter" and hit the flea market where I found a vendor selling Lancome makeup and such. Even Shu Umera makeup, if you are familliar. I even hit the 99c stores in my area, wrote down the stuff that looked more then "0.99c", re-searched on eBay, and went back and re-sold them. Even if I made $1.00 I was happy, cuz it was a start and it got my "Foot in the door".

Well I can go on and on, if you have any questions let me know!

I paid $200 a year and signed up with a drop shipping company that gives me access to wholesalers who ship the items straight to my customers once the item is sold. My problem now is that I dont know wat will sell and what tactics I can use to get people to bid on my items.

Mevater

Post Mon, Nov 26 2007, 5:52 am
rachel19977 wrote:

Even if I made $1.00 I was happy, cuz it was a start and it got my "Foot in the door"...Well I can go on and on, if you have any questions let me know!
Which items have you made the most on? How did you get your Ebay seller page (what's the correct name?) arranged? That's what's holding me back at this point.

Blossom

Post Mon, Nov 26 2007, 6:39 am
letsbehonest, getting the page setup is extremely easy. Search on ebay for "auction template" you'll see tons of auction pages to choose from. Most range from 99 cents to 15 dollars. You choose one you like, buy it, and the seller sends you exact instructions on how to set it up and voila! You're ready to sell.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Nov 26 2007, 6:58 am
you can also lose money really easily, when it comes to ebay fees, paypal fees, etc.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Nov 26 2007, 8:59 am
auctiva.com is amazing. check it out; it's so user friendly; everything is on one page, you get pretty templates, you can put as many pictures as you want for free, and the listings get saved forever, unlike ebay where after 90 days it's gone.

MrsLeo

Post Mon, Nov 26 2007, 7:37 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
auctiva.com is amazing. check it out; it's so user friendly; everything is on one page, you get pretty templates, you can put as many pictures as you want for free, and the listings get saved forever, unlike ebay where after 90 days it's gone.

Thanx for the tip, I actually do have auctiva.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Nov 26 2007, 8:02 pm
For those looking to buy things to sell, you can try going to overstocks.com and buying things cheap to resell, or go to circuitcity.com epecially now in the holiday season and invest in things like camera memory cards which you can resell for more money, or if you really have a few hundred to invest, they always have very cheap laptops ($500 price range) which you can try reselling for $100 or so more.

rachel19977

Post Tue, Nov 27 2007, 9:57 am
letsbehonest wrote:
rachel19977 wrote:

Even if I made $1.00 I was happy, cuz it was a start and it got my "Foot in the door"...Well I can go on and on, if you have any questions let me know!
Which items have you made the most on? How did you get your Ebay seller page (what's the correct name?) arranged? That's what's holding me back at this point.

We used "Microsoft Front Page" for the ads. While browing around, I saw several ads that we liked, I basicly dragged my mouse over the ad, copied parts that we liked, and changed it around in FrontPage. Since every item sold varied, the ad always needed to be changed. A tab on the bottom converted the ad to HTML, (we used www.channeladvisor.com the "Pro" for starters to manage pictures, invoices, inventory... ) then pasted the HTML into appropiate place - nice ad. If you need any help with how your ad should look like, let me know. What users want to see, what is too much. I think this is what you are asking about.

eBay also has "Turbo Lister" which is very easy to use.

chocolate moose - we sell comforters and sheet sets from Macy's, the eBay fees were small compared to the money that comes in, B"H. Also, we never accepted ANY Credit Card funded payments with PayPal. Only "e-checks" and "instant transfers" - (User needs to have funds IN his account to send, instead of the money coming FROM the credit card) - there is also a certain way for a user to send you money which doesn't affect the $500 a month thing, if you know what that is. There are many users that only accept cash and money orders so they don't have to deal with hassle of checks/credit cards. Many users email you after the auction ends and want to pay with PayPal, and they usually CAN send you money with PayPal "The free way"... :-)

Mama Bear - that is a very good idea. Even the clothing on Childrensplace.com and oldnavy.com on sale and be re-sold, and it's especially if you hold their credit card - you get discounts in the mail and there are extra discounts codes when you search online!

letsbehonest - Things that are brand name are always selling. You always RESERCH before you buy/invest on eBay to see if something is selling. For instance Ralph Lauren, "Shabby Chic" items, Louis Vitton, Calvin Klein... People want the "name" if you know what I mean. You can PM me and I'll link you to our sellers page if you want.

MrsLeo

Post Tue, Nov 27 2007, 2:53 pm
rachel19977 wrote:
there is also a certain way for a user to send you money which doesn't affect the $500 a month thing, if you know what that is.

I dont have a $500 limit cuz I pay the monthly fee cuz most of my items are expensive stuff. Maybe I should cancel it.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Nov 27 2007, 4:14 pm
I dont even know what a $500 limit is!

MrsLeo

Post Tue, Nov 27 2007, 4:34 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
I dont even know what a $500 limit is!

On the free membership for paypal you can only accept up to $500 a month in payments thru paypal.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Nov 27 2007, 5:06 pm
My boss makes sales of several thousands of dollars a month and I dont think he has to pay for it. They dediuct a certain fee from each transaction, why isnt that enough?

zigi

Post Tue, Nov 27 2007, 5:47 pm
go to childrensplace outlet they have things for really cheap especially if you havea coupon, also gymboree sales also if you add gymbucks with it.

MrsLeo

Post Tue, Nov 27 2007, 6:31 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
My boss makes sales of several thousands of dollars a month and I dont think he has to pay for it. They dediuct a certain fee from each transaction, why isnt that enough?

He probably has the more advanced paypal account, its not expensive, I have it

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Nov 27 2007, 8:19 pm
I used to sell CDs of specific business information files. If you have information by the bucketful that you've been collecting and can put it on cd's, you can sell a ton of those quickly to those who WANT the information that you have.

rachel19977

Post Tue, Nov 27 2007, 9:08 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

If someone is making over $100 income for one item, then the fees for listing and accepting PayPal is enough to cover for it. But for someone who isn't making more then $1 - $10 they re-sold, the fees add up.

Because with the eBay fees, and the PayPal fees, the costs rises. Also, fraud. Before we started selling on eBay I worked for a company that sold stuff on eBay and was horrified at the many chargebacks that resulted from accepting credit cards via PayPal, in and out of the USA. This is why some people don't even accept credit cards. You might not get certain shoppers, but hey. If someone really NEEDS your item, they will pay for it by other means. I've bidded on items before and didn't realize they accepted PayPal and I've sent money order/check.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Nov 27 2007, 9:22 pm
my boss sells 99 cents items Smile. and he's never had a chargeback.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics