Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Asking soooo many.questions as I read to them

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 8:19 pm
I have two kids aged 2.5 and 4.5. They love when I read them books but they ask a ton of questions it.gets really annoying and can take forever. I dont want to tell them no questions. Kids learn by asking and they should always know.they can ask me anything...but how am I supppsed to read to them.....

jeweled

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 8:22 pm
Save all questions for the end?

simba

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 8:30 pm
It's not about finishing the book. It's about what they are learning as they read. I know it's annoying I have that age and issue (bh) as well. Focus on why you are reading to them and realize answering their questions or at least musing with them is inline with your goal.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 11:17 pm
jeweled wrote:
Save all questions for the end?

Neither have the skills or patience to wait at their current ages. These interruptions are all teachable moments.

octopus

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 11:19 pm
Questions are wonderful! They sound bright ka'h.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 4:24 am
If you are reading at bedtime, or have only a limited amount of time/energy you can say no questions. Kids still gain a lot from spending quality time with you, even if they don't get to ask their questions.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 4:26 am
Reframe. This is about YOU learning how to tolerate and then later come to ENJOY them asking the questions

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 5:58 am
Rejoice. You have exceptionally bright, inquisitive children who want to learn. This is a plus. Yes, it's very frustrating for a parent who lacks patience. The thing to do is to cultivate patience in yourself. As has been said, it's not about finishing the book. If you want to finish the story, you can finish reading the story after the children are asleep.

Orchid

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 6:25 am
You need to reframe. Your goal is not to "finish this Dr. Seuss book," but to interact with your child and spend time together doing something enjoyable. If you don't finish the book, or if it takes 10 minutes longer, well, that just gives you more opportunity to accomplish what you set out doing by reading the book in the first place.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 6:46 am
Dear OP- I love your question :-)

The answer depends on what is the reason you're reading to them.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 11:23 am
Questions are healthy!

It shows that they are attentive, engaged, and following the story with you. They are understanding the book, and wanting to get deeper into it.

Letting them interrupt and question will help build strong reading skills. Critical reading is crucial for school work, and will help them right up through college.

Right now you are building a stong foundation, don't squash that just to save yourself a few extra minutes of the day! This time is priceless, and will pay for itself a million times over.

As DD got older, we did the same thing with videos. We would pause it 100 times, becasue she always wanted more explanation on the plot, character developement, motivations, emotions, etc.

She's a brilliant short story writer now, and getting straight A's in English and composition.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 11:34 am
I also get annoyed by constant interrupts with either questions or comments, and I know it is mostly my problem and not the kids. To make it more manageable for me, depending on the age, I make them wait till the end of the page or the end of the sentence. I either point to the words as I am reading or give a hand motion for them to know they can ask now. If they interrupt, I just keep reminding that they have to wait till I finish my sentence.

Also maybe consider the types of books you are reading. Maybe consider including more interactive books with less words on the page leaving them to ask more questions. Which will help with your expectations.

lfab

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 11:42 am
What's the bigger problem here; that it's annoying to constantly be interrupted by questions, or that the questions are making the reading take too long. If it's the former and it's frustrating to you but you have the time then leave things as they are and let them ask their questions (so long as it's relevant to the book). If it's simply taking too long and you don't have that much time to sit and read with them try using a timer. If you only have 15 minutes (say it's right before bed and you want to make sure they're in at the right time) set the timer for 15 minutes. Let them know ahead of time that when the timer beeps storytime is over. Place a bookmark to mark where you left off and pick up at that point the next time you read. This gives them the freedom to ask as many questions as they want, but you don't need to worry that reading a book will take 45 minutes.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 11:48 am
Having kids wait til the end of the page is not the end of the world. However, it is very nourishing to their developing psyches to not have to ''hold it in'' in some areas of their little life. And reading a book is a benign low-risk area where it might be ok to allow them to ask when their impulse dictates. They have plenty of ''holding it in'' in school. It's good for them to have places where their impulses of curiosity are honored over that of the adult's need for some sort of order.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 2:06 pm
I'd answer some questions and then limit it so we can read the story.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 2:27 pm
We have my 4 year old wait until the end of the page. This usually works well, because it's not too long for her to wait, but let's me get through the page at least!

mame1

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 3:06 pm
I'm supposed to tell you how to read to your kids without interruption? Mah pitom?

Keep reading and keep answering their questions.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 3:23 pm
Yeah I'm in the camp of making kids wait until the end of the page. They're asking questions because they're excited and engaged, not because they actually need answers...the questions go like this:

Me: once upon a time there was a rabbit-
Child: what kind of rabbit? What was his name? Where is he going?
Me: let's keep reading and we'll find out. Once upon a time there was a rabbit. His name was Mopsy and he was-
Child: why was his name mopsy? And what color is he?

And so on...making kids wait until the end of the page isn't the end of the world lol.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers