Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving to an area with no other jews yet

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 10:54 pm
We just bought a house in an area that there aren't any Jews living there yet. We are hoping that other jews will move in within a year. Does anyone else here have experience with this? We want to make a good impression on the neighbors. Any good suggestions?
Thanks I'm a little nervous about the move

mirror

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 10:56 pm
Your question is too vague. How far away are the nearest Jews from where you live? How far away is the nearest Shul?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 11:23 pm
The nearest shul right now is a 45 minute walk. Driving is about a 5 minute drive to the closest Jewish area.but there isn't a shul in that area yet. Hopefully soon

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 11:26 pm
What are you concerned about regarding your soon to be neighbors? Just be pleasant. Don't throw ruckus succah parties at 2am.

biff12

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 11:27 pm
We moved into a non frum area ABT 2 years ago.. be very pleasant to ur neighbors.. we brought each immediate neighbor a bottle of wine after we moved in and made friendly conversation when ever we saw them. My kids like to ask their dogs name when they are walking the dog, and even pet the dogs...
Now half of my block is frum.. and the rest are very pleasant, as well

DrMom

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 12:53 am
I'm sure if you are pleasant and reasonable, there's no cause for concern vis-a-vis neighbors. Unless you are moving to someplace known for rabid anti-Semitism.

One thing which may throw a monkey wrench in the works: Tension in the nearby Jewish areas between frum Jews and others. For example, if it is an area where frum Jews have recently taken over the school board (like in Rockland County), then the citizens of neighboring areas might be wary of frum Jews moving in and "taking over" their neighborhood.

Barring such tensions, I'd be more nervous about the 45-min walk to shul, esp if I had small children (not sure of your situation).

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 5:25 am
Where is this neighborhood? I'd like to move there :-)

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 1:47 pm
I've been the only yid in the neighbourhood, and I've been in Jewland where you struggle not to find a Jew lol. In both cases we didn't have problems with neighbours, nor did we bring gifts arriving.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating