Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Protect wall from bike

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 7:54 am
I don't own my home and would like to protect the wall against which we park our bikes. It's a sheetrock wall and the handlebars keep poking into the wall and chipping away bit by bit. We moved in here two weeks ago and at this rate the wall will be full of holes by the time we move. Any ideas as to what I can put on the wall to protect it from dents, scratches, etc.?

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 10:02 am
A thick rubber mat or piece of carpet, but you'll need to find a way to keep either one upright against the wall.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 10:42 am
Ooooh, thanks for these suggestions! I like!

Now, how to keep it up on the wall, hm.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 10:44 am
Many moons ago I saw in someone's kitchen a clear hard plastic on the wall, meant to keep the chairs from scraping the paint. I wonder if something like that would be available. What is that fabric called? I'd want a wider strip, because the bike handlebars reach a wide range on the wall.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 10:44 am
Why not nail it in? The little holes you will have to fix when you leave will be less than the holes from the bikes.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 10:47 am
Put socks on the handlebars.

Or hang a tapestry (obviously not an expensive one) where you put the bikes.

myself

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 10:48 am
Can you cover the handle edges with padding?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 10:51 am
I've seen plexiglass sheets in kitchenettes attached to the wall where the chairs usually bump in.
https://www.google.com/search?.....xri=0

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 11:01 am
Thanks for all these useful suggestions!
All your links and suggestions are leading me to consider adding a ''vinyl kickplate'' to my list of possibilities. I would rather not nail or screw anything into the wall, so will see if I can find another way to affix any of these wall protectors by any other means.

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 12:23 pm
You can use double sided mounting tape but it seldom comes off cleanly when you want to remove it. It may either pull off some paint or refuse to come off at all.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 12:25 pm
zaq wrote:
You can use double sided mounting tape but it seldom comes off cleanly when you want to remove it. It may either pull off some paint or refuse to come off at all.

Thanks for this reminder!

BetsyTacy

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 1:45 pm
Command strips can be used to affix things and if removed properly wont remove the paint.
Choose the ones designed for the correct weight of the plexiglass or whatever that you want to affix to the wall.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 8:25 pm
zaq wrote:

I just bought a roll of 3inch easily removable double sided tape on Amazon (kitten proofing). Spendy stuff at $12 a roll but worth it.

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 9:07 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for this reminder!

Unless it's old, in which case it won't peel the paint but won't stick for long either,lol! (BTDT)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics