Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Centipedes
1  2  Next

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 8:22 am
Help. How do I get rid of them? I live on the second floor so it's not like I'm near the basement. I can't figure out where moisture is coming from. Please help.

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 8:26 am
Probably coming from trees outside.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 10:35 am
They live in the walls. Seal cracks and holes and they'll mostly stay in the walls.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 10:36 am
I have the same problem. Too many holes and cracks all over the house. Is there another way?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 10:39 am
amother wrote:
I have the same problem. Too many holes and cracks all over the house. Is there another way?

Sprinkle a mix of cinnamon and baking soda around the floor boards. Centipedes, ants, and even spiders will stay away and not cross the lines. Plus, your house will smell great!

Added bonus, it's totally non toxic for kids and pets.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 10:44 am
gp2.0 wrote:
They live in the walls. Seal cracks and holes and they'll mostly stay in the walls.

Thanks. What if there are spaces between floor and walls/molding that aren't visible but they must be coming from there? 2 year build so there aren't holes or cracks. Would regular insect gel work for corners?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 10:45 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Sprinkle a mix of cinnamon and baking soda around the floor boards. Centipedes, ants, and even spiders will stay away and not cross the lines. Plus, your house will smell great!.

I will try this. Is there a ratio for these ingredients? Or equal parts? Does this really work?

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 10:46 am
zaq wrote:
Probably coming from trees outside.

Thanks. If I sprinkle diatomaceous earth outside on balconies would that help?

gp2.0

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 10:49 am
amother wrote:
Thanks. What if there are spaces between floor and walls/molding that aren't visible but they must be coming from there? 2 year build so there aren't holes or cracks. Would regular insect gel work for corners?

They always find holes...mouseproofing usually keeps out the larger centipedes. The small centipedes crawl up the bathtub drain so maybe keep the drain closed when you're not using the bath?

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 10:52 am
gp2.0 wrote:
They always find holes...mouseproofing usually keeps out the larger centipedes. The small centipedes crawl up the bathtub drain so maybe keep the drain closed when you're not using the bath?

We did mouse proofing by making sure all holes were closed when construction was complete before we moved in.
When we did mouse proofing at our old apartment they never looked for tiny invisible cracks only closed holes.

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 10:52 am
They are carnivores so make sure to immediately get rid of any other bugs in the house, dead or alive.

Frequent vacuuming helps a lot too if possible.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 10:54 am
63 wrote:
They are carnivores so make sure to immediately get rid of any other bugs in the house, dead or alive.

Frequent vacuuming helps a lot too if possible.

Does it make a difference if my neighbor has bugs? She told me about them. Sad

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 11:00 am
amother wrote:
I will try this. Is there a ratio for these ingredients? Or equal parts? Does this really work?

This totally works. In my very old house that I used to live in, it was like living in a sieve. There were more cracks than there were walls! My landlord was super cheap, and wouldn't pay for pest control. I didn't want poison sprayed for several reasons.

We had a problem with carpenter ants in the foundation, and HUGE huntsman spiders that scared the you know what out of me.

I did a quick internet search for non toxic solutions, and found a 50/50 mix would do the trick. Sure enough, I was soon bug free. Every 3 months I would vaccuum around the floor boards and replace the mixture, and I never had any more problems.

For ease of application, put the mix in a plastic bag, and cut a hole in the tip. Lay down a thick line, like you're icing a cake. Get around all the floor boards, and sprinkle some in the base of your windows and doorways.

Diatomaceous earth for outdoors is a great idea, too. It can't hurt.

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 11:01 am
If it's a directly neighboring apartment, I think so...

Sealing any cracks along adjacent walls should help .

Some essential oils repel them too.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 11:04 am
Thanks, FranticF. I will definitely try this! Thanks for the application tip!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 11:05 am
63 wrote:

Some essential oils repel them too.

Have you had personal experience with essential oils and there being none of these creatures when you applied the essential oils?

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 11:13 am
I did a combination of spraying essential oil mixtures every day until they disappeared and removing every bug from the house as soon as I see them. It took a few weeks but Baruch Hashem, the combination seemed to work.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 11:36 am
Neem oil is good for repelling all kinds of creepy-crawlies. A few dabs in your hair will repel lice and mosquitoes, too.

All bugs hate eucalyptus oil. Red cedar oil will keep away clothing moths (and smells heavenly!)

Cinnamon oil will stain your carpets, so definitely use the powdered spice for that. It's cheaper, too.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 11:38 am
I had success with spraying mint oil + water every week. About 30 drops per 16 oz.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 11:43 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Neem oil is good for repelling all kinds of creepy-crawlies. A few dabs in your hair will repel lice and mosquitoes, too.

All bugs hate eucalyptus oil. Red cedar oil will keep away clothing moths (and smells heavenly!)

Cinnamon oil will stain your carpets, so definitely use the powdered spice for that. It's cheaper, too.

It would be easier for me to drop eucalyptus oil around my house than to do the cinnamon thing. Would the eucalyptus be just as effective at keeping the centipedes out?

What about huge water bugs? (The ones that jump )
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics