Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Filtering Alternatives?
1  2  Next

kenz

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 5:11 pm
My 17-year-old daughter has a TAG-filtered Galaxy smartphone. We gave in to a smartphone because the majority of her friends had them (in a mainstream Bais Yaakov school) but were adamant about it being filtered, and she agreed.
The issue is that apparently the filter TAG uses does not work well with her phone. Her music doesn't work properly and every time she wants to update one of her apps the phone goes a little "wonky." It always takes at least 3 phone calls and a lot of time on the phone with TAG to fix, and this time she is still having issues after several weeks and wants to change.
Does anyone know of different options available? She wants webchaver but I don't want that because the issue is not that I think she'll go to all kinds of bad sites (although obviously I don't want that level of accessibility either). The issue is that as it is, she spends too much time on her phone. I don't want it to simply be monitored, but limited.
She understands that, but is equally as adamant that her phone simply will not work properly with TAG. A new phone is not an option at this point, this one was very expensive.
Please don't suggest a kosher phone. Unfortunately, we're past that point.
Any help would be appreciated.

seeker

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 6:37 pm
Following. I need a filter for my phone as my kids are getting older and they go to a school that requires it, but I don't want to compromise my phone's functionality.

Coke Slurpee

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 7:52 pm
I tried a tag filter for my son and it slowed down his phone, and some stuff just didn't work right.

I just heard of a filter called secure teen, that looks good that I plan to try.

mommy_r

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 8:24 pm
I've never tried webchaver on a phone but the computer version allows you to also buy a filter for several dollars a month that can be controlled/limited timing wise...

mommy100

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 8:33 pm
I use mishemer https://www.meshimer.com and very happy with there service and protection

Coke Slurpee

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 10:07 pm
The web chaver filter does not work on an android only an iphone. Their monitering program, does work on Androids.

dr. pepper

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 11:42 pm
research THE DIGITAL CITIZEN PROJECT. they presented at a local school and has some gr8 options.

EishesYo

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 3:41 am
I use web chaver with covenant eyes. It has time monitoring available
TAG uses K9 I personally was able to undo it so anyone can and its not great for most systems! Contact web chaver they are really helpful!

kenz

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 11:37 am
EishesYo wrote:
I use web chaver with covenant eyes. It has time monitoring available
TAG uses K9 I personally was able to undo it so anyone can and its not great for most systems! Contact web chaver they are really helpful!

TAG uses K9 for adults, they have other options. We are paying for GenTech, which is what TAG gave us, and it has been working but is messing up her phone.
Thanks for the other suggestions, everyone, I will look into each one. Any more ideas, please keep them coming!

kenz

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 11:39 am
Coke Slurpee wrote:
The web chaver filter does not work on an android only an iphone. Their monitering program, does work on Androids.

Right, that's what's going on, I believe, with the TAG filter as well. It's not in sync with her Android phone.

kenz

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 11:39 am
dr. pepper wrote:
research THE DIGITAL CITIZEN PROJECT. they presented at a local school and has some gr8 options.

Will do!

kenz

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 11:41 am
mommy100 wrote:
I use mishemer https://www.meshimer.com and very happy with there service and protection

May I ask if you have an Android?

kenz

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 11:51 am
Coke Slurpee wrote:
I tried a tag filter for my son and it slowed down his phone, and some stuff just didn't work right.

I just heard of a filter called secure teen, that looks good that I plan to try.

Thanks, I will google it.

kenz

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 11:54 am
kenz wrote:
May I ask if you have an Android?

Also, I'm looking at the website - the $7.99/monthly plan looks like what I'd want b/c I don't want her to have internet. I'm curious what's considered an app - is music an app, or is it a standard part of the phone? Email?

SuperWify

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 1:53 pm
Op- I know exactly how Tag works and therefore I am BEGGING you for your daughters sake buy her an iPhone! Androids do not have any sort of built-in protection and therefore the filters are made by third parties -I.e. Not by android- Hence, no matter how hard the filter works, or how much $ you pay, the filter at best will slow down the phone and make problems and at worst be able to be hacked. Android filters are NOT for teens (or anyone) who was forced to put on a filter. Trust me on this one please! They will just grow up resenting tag/filters etc.
Invest in a iPhone. You (or tag to do so properly) will properly lock the browser and leave just the apps you want. You can then ask tag to give you the passcode so you can unlock the App Store for her as needed. As this restrictions are apple-made you can (pretty much) rest securely at night. Plus it's free and definitely won't slow down the phone. if you know what you won't have any problems. Hatzlocha!

(Disclaimer- nothing is foul-proof but this solution is 50 times better then what you have now)

Coke Slurpee

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 2:02 pm
Superwifey, I'm looking for a filter and monitering system for my son's smartphone, but I'm not looking to block his browser. I want him to be able to use the internet, play store, get the apps he wants. But I want the content filtered, block inappropriate and unsafe sites, etc. And I want to be able to monitor his usage.
How does the iphone filter work? How flexible is it?

rikki 1

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 2:08 pm
Another vote for TAG frustration with filter for Android tablet. spent hours and hours being frustrated with it, son having meltdowns etc. and it was like $50 a year!! couldn't believe I paid to have craziness

SuperWify

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 2:21 pm
Coke Slurpee wrote:
Superwifey, I'm looking for a filter and monitering system for my son's smartphone, but I'm not looking to block his browser. I want him to be able to use the internet, play store, get the apps he wants. But I want the content filtered, block inappropriate and unsafe sites, etc. And I want to be able to monitor his usage.
How does the iphone filter work? How flexible is it?

No don't use the iPhone for filtering. I only recommend for blocking the browser completely. It's not a good filter (especially for kids)

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 5:56 pm
TAG is very trendy in various French kehilos. The Satmar rebbe visited the office! lol.

kenz

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 6:14 pm
Ruchel wrote:
TAG is very trendy in various French kehilos. The Satmar rebbe visited the office! lol.

That's funny. I doubt it will influence my daughter though. Smile
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics