Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Camp Bonim/ Boys camps

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 7:35 am
I know it's super early Very Happy but I am trying to find out info about boys camps for next summer for my son. What is the crowd like that goes to Camp Bonim? Are there any out of towners?
We are from OOT. We are very "normal" but would consider ourselves leaning more towards yesheivish. (I.e. My husband just got his first job after kollel - he's almost 40. He only wears white shirts and dark pants, I don't leave the house w/o socks or stockings...)
Any other camps that sound like they'd be a good fit?
Thanks!

happy12

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 7:59 am
Agudah may be a good fit but you have to apply early to get in. ( around Thanksgiving).
Don't know much about Bonim.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 10:21 am
aguda, rayim, achim... There's also toras chaim tashbar not sure what it's about but it's very yeshivish. There's ruach chaim which is cheaper cuz it's subsidized. About 1300 dollars. Also very yeshivish.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 12:53 pm
What do you consider OOT? There are dozens of Baltimoreans who go there - some of the directors/staff members are from Baltimore and are charismatic rebbeim whose students want to go to the camp that their Rebbe goes to. (That's how my son ended up there one year, he loved his rebbi)

And it is low key, not over the top excitement. Just happy relaxed fun camp, not amazingly beautiful accommodations etc, just simple.
my son found it to be quite a yeshivish crowd.

anon because I mentioned my location.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 2:48 pm
Quote:
What do you consider OOT?

We are in a much smaller community than Baltimore, but would consider myself that type of crowd. Did your son feel that coming from Baltimore most of the kids were more yesheivish than him or he fit right in?

My son is 10. He follows sports and I let him watch sports games, but he's never watched a movie. No peyos, he wears shorts on Sundays (more to do with the crowd where we live), but pants for davening. So I'm not sure where that puts us on the "yesheivish" spectrum.
We're very simple, so not looking for anything fancy or crazy entertainment. He'd be happy learning in the morning and then playing sports the rest of the day.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 11:52 am
As a mother of one son who is former camper and another who is a current staff member, Bonim sounds like a perfect fit. I suggest first half, as that is a more "out of town" crowd, whereas the second half has a larger Lakewood group.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 12:01 pm
Thank you Beige and Burgundy imamothers! You were very helpful

ruchelbuckle

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 12:06 pm
OP--Bronze amother--- if you feel comfortable, please PM me. I have a lot of info on the boys camp scene, and our family sounds fairly similar. I've made a TON of phone calls regarding the camps-- specifically, whats a good fit for an out of town kid.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children