Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Advice re renting out Lakewood house during bein hazmanim

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 2:04 pm
We live in a 3-br ranch near the sunset and central area. I'm due in 2 weeks (hoping to give birth early) and I'm planning on going to my mother after I give birth. I was wondering if it's worth trying to rent out my apt on a nightly/weekly basis, either on airbnb or by advertising in the Jewish weeklies...
Does anyone have any advice about this? Any ideas if there is much of a market/how much would be reasonable to charge? And where would be the best place to advertise?

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 2:28 pm
I'm just wondering how you would prepare your house for renters if you are due soon or will be post partum? You would have to clean up, empty drawers, closets... would you want people using your kitchen things? Then you would have to have the house all clean in between renters - meaning you would probably need a cleaning service each time. I dunno ...maybe you are just super organized and neat and don't have much lying around .. for me it would just not be worth it.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 2:55 pm
lol you're totally right - that's why I'm asking first about market/pricing - I would only do it if it it's worth it financially. My husband's happy to deal with cleaning/getting things ready if it will make us over $500. We're anyways planning on packing up most of kids' clothing/a lot of my clothing so that's not a big deal. Kitchen is definitely a problem - I don't mind frum people using it but we obviously don't want kashrus problems - I'd love to hear if anyone has tried airbnb as a host and dealt with that issue. Re cleaning, airbnb allows you to charge a cleaning fee, which is probably what I would do.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 11:24 am
bump - any advice? someone's got to have tried this...

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 12:48 pm
I live in Jackson where a lot of people are renting out but I'm refusing to. I don't want people ruining my furniture and carpet etc

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 3:36 pm
thanks for your response. many do rent out their homes in jackson? during bein hazmanim? any idea if it's on a nightly basis as opposed to the entire bein hazmanim and what the market is like?

penguin

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 3:38 pm
If it's air bnb what do you do about kashrus? Not that I can see anyone non-J looking to rent in Lkwd but, hey, you never know.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 4:43 pm
amother wrote:
lol you're totally right - that's why I'm asking first about market/pricing - I would only do it if it it's worth it financially. My husband's happy to deal with cleaning/getting things ready if it will make us over $500. We're anyways planning on packing up most of kids' clothing/a lot of my clothing so that's not a big deal. Kitchen is definitely a problem - I don't mind frum people using it but we obviously don't want kashrus problems - I'd love to hear if anyone has tried airbnb as a host and dealt with that issue. Re cleaning, airbnb allows you to charge a cleaning fee, which is probably what I would do.

Don't forget that these people would not only be using your kitchen, they would be using your sheets and towels, and sleeping in your beds.

You're taking most of your clothing (and unless you move what you don't take into a locked closet, expect that other people will go through it), but what about your fine china, your candlesticks, your menorah, your jewelry. You don't want to leave anything valuable in the apartment.

Do you intend to change the locks afterwards, or do you feel comfortable with these people possibly having keys (they can easily make copies).

If something happens, even accidentally, will your renters insurance cover it if you're renting out your place for profit.

(And is there a real market for air b-n-b in Lakewood?)

happy12

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 6:18 pm
You said renting out your apartment. Do you own it or are you planing to sublet it?
If you want to sublet you must have permission from the landlord
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating