Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries
How do I make my dd feel secure? PLS help!!

Dolly1

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 6:50 pm
Dd is 7 years old. Right before going to sleep she told me she is scared to go to school tomoro cuz there's a girl in her class who told her she will have someone beat her up. I told her that nobody can beat her up cuz the counselors are there and if anyone touches her she shud run and tell the counselor. She wasnt totally convinced; what if the counselors r gonna b at a meeting and there wont be anyone to watch her?
What am I supposed to do? I really want her to feel that I truly care for her and I want her to b confident to go to school. But I feel silly calling up a counselor and telling her that someone said she'll beat her up. The girl didnt actually do anything. My daughter is an extra scaredy cat :-(
Any solid advice? Pls share!!
TIA

L25

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 6:55 pm
One of the things that jumped out at me is her comment about the counselors being in a meeting and no one watching her. I would want to know if that's happened because that's not really acceptable. At home it's not necessary for that age to have constant supervision but in a camp setting they should.

Personally I would also call the camp but that's me based on my experience.

Last edited by L25 on Tue, Jul 25 2017, 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 6:56 pm
Is your daughter in school or in camp?

The first thing I would do is speak to your daughter and find out more of the circumstances.

The second thing is report this to the school/ camp. No one is allowed to bully or threaten your daughter.

momX4

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 6:59 pm
I would have called a supervisor from camp the minute she said that. For now bring her to camp tomorrow and talk to the staff about your dc's fears.

Dolly1

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 7:01 pm
Squishy wrote:
Is your daughter in school or in camp?

The first thing I would do is speak to your daughter and find out more of the circumstances.

The second thing is report this to the school/ camp. No one is allowed to bully or threaten your daughter.

she is in day camp.
the only problem I have with this whole situation is, my daughter tends to take everything at face value and very seriously. If someone will tell her they will kick her she will run and hide etc. and kids at this age tend to say stuff without thinking... If someone wud hurt her I would no doubt call the school right away. but does it make sense to call just cuz of something a girl said?

L25

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 7:12 pm
saying that you will hurt someone is verbal abuse even if you don't actually do it. Personally I try (can't say I always succeed) to take a two prong attack. Work on building your daughter's skin while keeping her safe. You can discuss with your daughter that people sometimes say things that they don't mean. That being said her feeling safe is a top priority and that you will speak to the camp and if you aren't convinced that they will handle it then you'll keep her home but that you won't put her in a situation where someone will hurt her.

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 7:23 pm
Dolly1 wrote:
she is in day camp.
the only problem I have with this whole situation is, my daughter tends to take everything at face value and very seriously. If someone will tell her they will kick her she will run and hide etc. and kids at this age tend to say stuff without thinking... If someone wud hurt her I would no doubt call the school right away. but does it make sense to call just cuz of something a girl said?

Yes, it makes sense to call. I suggest finding out everything first and then calling. You don't want to find out your little girl got threatened because she "borrowed" a Polly Pocket. Usually, these incidents are not in a vacuum. Regardless of anything your daughter did or didn't do, she shouldn't be abused. You will be a better advocate armed with the facts.

Camp is a more informal for profit setting. You can speak directly to the counselor.

rainbow

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 8:43 pm
I would go to day camp with my dd, have her point out the bully to me and I'd have a brief talk with the bully, within earshot of my dd.
I've had to do this when my dd was 9. It was so supportive for my dd to have my direct support in this way.
That girl didn't dare bully my dd again.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries