Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Chicken with Tamarind, Apricots and Chipotle Sauce

Amarante

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 5:45 am
Chicken with Tamarind, Apricots and Chipotle Sauce

Pat Jinich

I stashed in my Pesach recipes but didn't make then so I tried this week. It works for Pesach of course but there is nothing inherently linked to it. I wanted an easy flavorful chicken dish and this fit the bill. The creator is a Mexican Jewish woman who has published two cookbooks Mexican cookbooks and has a cooking show. Her recipes are very tasty and creative. Notes from recipe indicate can be made in slow cooker but I didn't because once I would have sautéed chicken which is a necessary step, there would have been no point for me and I prefer the texture of chicken that isn't cooked in a crockpot.

I did remove the skin before cooking because who needs skin in a braised chicken dish but if I used skin, I would defat sauce and maybe even cool it so fat was easier to remove when solidified. I didn't use this amount of oil because I think 1/2 cup is way too much and unnecessary just to sauté a few chicken pieces that are then braised.

Notes aren't mine. 😀

Notes

People wonder about the existence of Jewish-Mexican cuisine; here is but one example. A Sephardic dish with Mexican influence, this chicken is a crowd pleaser that’s perfect for the winter holidays. It’s a bit spicy, a bit sweet, a bit tangy, crisp and moist. Just like that passed-down brisket recipe, it can be one of those safe cards to play.

This Passover dish from Patricia Jinich came to The Times in 2009. For Ms. Jinich, who grew up in Mexico, one of 40,000 to 50,000 Jews, European and Mexican influences ran through Passover and holiday cooking: chicken soups with matzo might feature jalapeños, while meat stews were paired with salsa. Ms. Jinich learned this recipe from Flora Cohen, a woman of Syrian background who taught her and other Jewish brides in Mexico City how to cook. Here, a combination of dried apricots and apricot preserves give this chicken a savory sweetness, while chipotles in adobo add a little heat.

Ingredients

* 1 whole chicken cut into pieces, plus two more pieces of your choice, with skin and bones or 4 chicken quarters or 8 chicken pieces of your choice with skin and bones
* 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, or more to taste
* ½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste
* ½ cup safflower or corn oil (I used much less. Just enough to coat bottom of pan and start sauté process. Unnecessary to use this much oil IMO if you have a good heavy sauté pan.
* 4 cups water
* ½ pound dried apricots, about ¾ cup, roughly chopped
* 2 tablespoons apricot preserves
* ¾ cup homemade or store-bought tamarind concentrate, or substitute with 2 tablespoons tamarind paste mixed with 1 tablespoon sugar and ¾ cup water
* 2 tablespoons chipotles in adobo sauce, or more to taste; add chiles if you please

Preparation

* Thoroughly rinse chicken pieces with cold water and pat dry. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a deep extended skillet, heat oil over medium heat until it is hot but not smoking. Add chicken pieces in one layer, bring heat to medium-low, and slowly brown the chicken pieces for 1 hour. Turn them over every once in a while, so they brown evenly on all sides.
* Pour water over the chicken, raise the heat to medium-high and bring it to a simmer. Add in the apricots, apricot preserves, tamarind concentrate, chipotle sauce and salt and stir, and keep it at a medium simmer for 35 to 40 minutes more. You may need to bring down the heat to medium. The sauce should have thickened considerably as to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Taste for salt and heat and add more salt or chipotle sauce to your liking.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey