Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What's Your Erev Tisha B'av Supper Menu?
1  2  Next

pause

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 10:41 am
I need ideas.

essie14

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 10:49 am
Pasta
Salad
Watermelon

Stars

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 10:52 am
Rolls
Eggs in different forms
Lots of salad
avocado
watermelon, grapes and bananas
Water water water water water

pause

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 10:53 am
Stars wrote:
Rolls
Eggs in different forms
Lots of salad
avocado
watermelon, grapes and bananas
Water water water water water

I like to do this for Motze Tisha B'av.
And with the hardboiled egg right before zman, I don't want to serve eggs for supper as well. More ideas needed.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 10:56 am
Tilapia Fish
Lettuce Salad
Celery soup Literally blended celery, good to prevent dehydration.

Lots of ice tea and water

We are on a diet

Stars

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 10:57 am
pause wrote:
I like to do this for Motze Tisha B'av.
And with the hardboiled egg right before zman, I don't want to serve eggs for supper as well. More ideas needed.

Well, fish and anything too cheesy is out- because of the thirst factor.

What about soup?

For the after fast I do soup, fish and mashed potatoes.

mha3484

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 11:01 am
Potato pizza
Salmon Patties
Fruit and water water water

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 11:27 am
Stars wrote:

What about soup?

For the after fast I do soup, fish and mashed potatoes.

Poached fish is not too salty

Optione

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 11:36 am
Haven't thought about it yet, but I'll think now. Wink
Vegetable soup
Salmon
Broccoli
Roasted potatoes
Grapes and watermelon

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 12:04 pm
Stars wrote:

I used to believe that about fish but experience has taught me that it isn't true. It's actually helpful to have filling lean protein. Make a recipe with the right ingredients.

Stars

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 12:05 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I used to believe that about fish but experience has taught me that it isn't true. It's actually helpful to have filling lean protein.

Thanks for the info. I might just try it.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 4:03 pm
Refried beans with all the trimmings. We find it's lite but filling and we have it every year.

(Anon because everyone irl knows that this is what we do-and it's kind of unique 😜)

Edited to correct auto-correct error

tichellady

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 5:52 pm
I have no idea what we have every year. No matter what I eat or drink I am super hungry and thirsty the next day, but I guess that's the point

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 8:40 pm
Salmon, baked potatoes, green beans

HeartyAppetite

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 9:13 pm
amother wrote:
Refried beans with all the trimmings. We find it's lite but filling and we have it every year.

(Anon because everyone irl knows that this is what we do-and it's kind of unique 😜)

Edited to correct auto-correct error

What's refried beans? It sounds good.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 11:01 pm
HeartyAppetite wrote:
What's refried beans? It sounds good.

It's really quite easy (about 15 min from start to table, depending on how long it takes to prep toppings), and works for a variety of 'diets' from picky eater to gluten or dairy free (because each person can add whatever they like).

Chop an onion and sauté till translucent. Drain and Mash (I use a hand blender) beans- reserve the liquid (I use cans of black beans, but other kinds work, too- you can cook your own beans, but it does take longer that way). Add beans and salt to onion and cook till heated through (you can add black pepper or even red pepper, too, to taste) use liquid, as needed to prevent burning or drying out.

Now comes the fun part. Serve with an assortment of 'breads' and toppings. We do : laffa, pita, tacos, corn tortillas (choices depending on everyone's mood- heat them slightly). Shredded cheese, lettuce (shredded), tomatoes (diced), avocado (diced or guacamole), salsa, sour cream. you can also do olives (slices), scallions, hot peppers, corn or anything else you can imagine.

Put everything out on the table and Everyone puts together there own 'sandwich' with whichever toppings they like. (And, yes, I have one DD who just eats laffa with cheese, but that's fine with me- at least she's eating the supper I made)

SpottedBanana

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 11:15 pm
I read in the ArtScroll Tisha B'av book that you can only serve one cooked dish for the seudas hamafsekes before Tisha B'av, and one may not serve fish (Orach Chaim 552). Have others learned opinions which hold differently?

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 11:18 pm
SpottedBanana wrote:
I read in the ArtScroll Tisha B'av book that you can only serve one cooked dish for the seudas hamafsekes before Tisha B'av, and one may not serve fish (Orach Chaim 552). Have others learned opinions which hold differently?

supper is not the same as seudas hamafsekes which is bread, eggs and ashes.

SpottedBanana

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 11:21 pm
amother wrote:
supper is not the same as seudas hamafsekes which is bread, eggs and ashes.

That's if you actually eat the bread, eggs, or ashes -- I can't stand hard-boiled eggs so I don't and it's only a minhag. I had never heard of this halacha before I read it so I was wondering if women who will not eat another seuda after supper are makpid to only eat one cooked dish then and no fish.

mamaleh

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 11:29 pm
SpottedBanana wrote:
That's if you actually eat the bread, eggs, or ashes -- I can't stand hard-boiled eggs so I don't and it's only a minhag. I had never heard of this halacha before I read it so I was wondering if women who will not eat another seuda after supper are makpid to only eat one cooked dish then and no fish.

I would look at it not like supper became your seuda hamafsekes but rather, this is supper and I'm not eating a seuda hamafsekes. I imagine, from the way you said it, that you serve a seuda hamafsekes (to DH etc) but you don't eat it. If that's not the case then it might be something to discuss with your LOR.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note