Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
What's 17.3 inches?!

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 11:59 pm
I only know inches on a tape measure by the fraction. What's 17.3 inches ? Is it 17 3/16" ? Scratching Head shock

I'm dealing with a chinese supplier and they keep using decimals. Im all confused. Cant they just use fractions Rolling Eyes

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 12:06 am
3/16 = 0.185
4/16 = .25
5/16 = .3125

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 12:10 am
What is the normal way of expressing inches? As a fraction over 16 or a decimal?

Signed
Very curious person from a metric country

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 12:26 am
amother wrote:
What is the normal way of expressing inches? As a fraction over 16 or a decimal?

Signed

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 12:30 am
amother wrote:

Signed

Writing from a metric country.. .. but I'd say fraction is more common.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 1:05 am
amother wrote:

Signed

Usually as a fraction with a power of two as the denominator. Also, if the numerator is even, divide both the numerator and denominator by 2 until you reach an odd numerator. Inch rulers usually have the smaller ticks positioned to measure these fractions like this.

But they also make rulers with inches divided into ten, used in engineering.

water_bear88

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 1:31 am
I think you're more likely to see decimals (divide by ten) on products commonly sold in inches in metric countries, such as tv and computer screens. I'd love to understand why metric countries have re-adopted the inch but without the practical aspects, I.e. the ability to eyeball divisions fairly accurately.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 3:57 am
They probably just converted the measurement from metric.

That being said, what's the big deal to convert it yourself? 3/10 = 0.48/16, so about 5/16 on your tape measure.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 4:16 am
water_bear88 wrote:
I think you're more likely to see decimals (divide by ten) on products commonly sold in inches in metric countries, such as tv and computer screens. I'd love to understand why metric countries have re-adopted the inch but without the practical aspects, I.e. the ability to eyeball divisions fairly accurately.

The only thing we do in inches is TVs, and I find it very strange. Would sound bigger in CMS.

water_bear88

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 4:21 am
amother wrote:
The only thing we do in inches is TVs, and I find it very strange. Would sound bigger in CMS.

It took me a while to notice, since I grew up in the US and moved to a metric country as a teenager. You're right that it would sound bigger in centimeters. Scratching Head
So phone and computer screens aren't universally in inches? I thought those were also standard.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 4:27 am
water_bear88 wrote:
It took me a while to notice, since I grew up in the US and moved to a metric country as a teenager. You're right that it would sound bigger in centimeters. Scratching Head
So phone and computer screens aren't universally in inches? I thought those were also standard.

You're right. I should have said "screens".
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics