Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Yeshiva tuition scholarship formula
1  2  3  Next

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 1:25 am
I just got my tuition bill after applying for a scholarship and was granted less than I requested (this happens almost every year). I wish there was some "open book" kind of way to calculate it, so that it is very clear how they come to a figure. I'm wondering is anyone privy to the formulas used by any of the schools in the ny/nj area - how they calculate what a family needs to pay? Or anyone know any schools with publicized formulas for calculating tuition breaks?

saw50st8

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 7:47 am
It would be impossible to do that. There are all sorts of special circumstances in each family and they require someone investigating each situation.

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 7:56 am
saw50st8 wrote:
It would be impossible to do that. There are all sorts of special circumstances in each family and they require someone investigating each situation.

It also depends on the school's finances in any particular year. The school could be needing a new roof, they got a big donation.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 8:04 am
amother wrote:
I just got my tuition bill after applying for a scholarship and was granted less than I requested (this happens almost every year). I wish there was some "open book" kind of way to calculate it, so that it is very clear how they come to a figure. I'm wondering is anyone privy to the formulas used by any of the schools in the ny/nj area - how they calculate what a family needs to pay? Or anyone know any schools with publicized formulas for calculating tuition breaks?

I realize there are other factors involved, but could you tell us what is your gross income, how much full tuition Is, how much you requested to pay, and what the yeshiva decided you should pay?

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 8:13 am
Squishy wrote:
It also depends on the school's finances in any particular year. The school could be needing a new roof, they got a big donation.

if they have more families than usual that are eligible for scholarships, perhaps each family might get less than expected.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 8:57 am
I just looked at a tuition scholarship form for the first time and it asked so many questions and was so complicated. I don't know how they decide or figure it out.
It asked about salaries, savings, vacations, household help, Simchas, rent/mortgage, amount of children , help from parents or others, etc...
What's strange to me is that I know people who get tuition discounts who have some of these things that others who have were not able to get discounts. So I see no obvious way that they decide, must be can by case and depend on so many factors (and also some people are not as honest as others, or more desperate or demanding).

amother
Red

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 9:01 am
I don't know what to tell you, but I was once unintentionally comparing notes with a friend. I know she makes more than I do, I know that they have money saved for a house someday. We've been struggling, for a long time, we have debts, have nos avings, can't seem to catch a break. When she told me that she got a cheaper rate for her one kid than I got for my 2 (per child), I was a bit miffed.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 9:16 am
I'd like to think it also takes into account whether both capable parents are working or not. We get tuition assistance and the school has always worked with us - we both work more than full-time (overtime/side jobs). I hope that somewhere that factors into the equation. Why should a family with a capable SAHM receive tuition assistance if she chose to stay home? (obviously I am not talking about cases where she can't work for compelling family circumstances)

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 9:34 am
amother wrote:
I realize there are other factors involved, but could you tell us what is your gross income, how much full tuition Is, how much you requested to pay, and what the yeshiva decided you should pay?

I am giving approx figures - around 70,000 for gross income on 2016 tax return (including both my husbands full time & my part time at-home work), 2 kids in the school, 3 at home with me. Sticker price with registration, fees etc, for the 2 kids around $28,000. I asked to pay around $17,000 and they are asking for around $19,000.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 9:39 am
My kids school requires volunteer hours in lieu of scholarships.
Everyone has somethings that they can offer, to me it makes sense, options are anything that saves the school money.

Yael

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 9:42 am
A comment and responses to it that derailed the thread have been removed. Please stick to the topic.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 9:42 am
amother wrote:
I'd like to think it also takes into account whether both capable parents are working or not. We get tuition assistance and the school has always worked with us - we both work more than full-time (overtime/side jobs). I hope that somewhere that factors into the equation. Why should a family with a capable SAHM receive tuition assistance if she chose to stay home? (obviously I am not talking about cases where she can't work for compelling family circumstances)

Why should a capable man/woman receive tuition assistance if he didn't bother to pursue a degree that would allow for a greater salary?

Why should a family receive tuition assistance if they had more kids than they can afford?

Why should a family receive tuition assistance if they host large shabbos meals that are a strain on their budget?

Why should a family receive tuition assistance if they foster a child with special needs in addition to their own children?

Why should a family receive tuition assistance if they send their child with special needs to a costly private school instead of to a public school?

Why should a family receive tuition assistance if they own a home in the more expensive city vs the cheaper one nearby?

Don't you think we can debate this forever? The school has a right to determine which values they respect. Perhaps they choose to respect a woman staying home when her children are young. If you don't share this value system, you can choose to send elsewhere.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 9:45 am
I honestly wish there were other yeshiva options in my area. But there aren't. It's basically one school.

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 9:46 am
amother wrote:
I am giving approx figures - around 70,000 for gross income on 2016 tax return (including both my husbands full time & my part time at-home work), 2 kids in the school, 3 at home with me. Sticker price with registration, fees etc, for the 2 kids around $28,000. I asked to pay around $17,000 and they are asking for around $19,000.

Why don't you ask to pay less like $12,000?

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 9:47 am
Squishy wrote:
Why don't you ask to pay less like $12,000?

Maybe I should have, but I don't know if that would've changed the outcome. I have asked to pay less in the past, but they always make it higher. I was trying to meet them closer to what they were asking for honestly, even though it's a stretch.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 9:53 am
Always ask to pay lower than you want because they always respond with a bit higher than you asked for.
The rationale is that if you can easily afford what you requested to pay then you should have to stretch yourself so they make it a bit more.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 9:55 am
amother wrote:
Always ask to pay lower than you want because they always respond with a bit higher than you asked for.
The rationale is that if you can easily afford what you requested to pay then you should have to stretch yourself so they make it a bit more.

I hate these kind of "games" - I wish for a straight out formula, so I know what to expect. What do they think, I'll try to earn less so I get to pay less tuition, if I knew how it's calculated?

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 9:56 am
amother wrote:
Why should a capable man/woman receive tuition assistance if he didn't bother to pursue a degree that would allow for a greater salary?

Why should a family receive tuition assistance if they had more kids than they can afford?

Why should a family receive tuition assistance if they host large shabbos meals that are a strain on their budget?

Why should a family receive tuition assistance if they foster a child with special needs in addition to their own children?

Why should a family receive tuition assistance if they send their child with special needs to a costly private school instead of to a public school?

Why should a family receive tuition assistance if they own a home in the more expensive city vs the cheaper one nearby?

Don't you think we can debate this forever? The school has a right to determine which values they respect. Perhaps they choose to respect a woman staying home when her children are young. If you don't share this value system, you can choose to send elsewhere.
[u]

Just pointing out that when you say "the school has the right to determine which values they respect", is very tricky. The reason is that if the school decides that they value a certain ideal and give certain families a break as a result, who's picking up the tab? Obviously, to an extent, it's other tuition paying families. So the net result of this is that when the tuition committee gives families a,b, and c a break, it sends families d,e,and f a bigger bill to cover that break. That's why families d,e, and f feel they should have a say in what the yeshiva should value.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 10:00 am
amother wrote:

What makes you think everyone is capable of pursuing a degree? Not every person has the mental capacity to pursue higher education. Speaking as a mom of a child who struggles mightily to keep up with their class.

I sincerely hope you're kidding. So if they fall on hard times should they give up their 'extra' kids for adoption?

This I agree with

I hope you realize this is an income. I don't know of anyone that does this for free. I've done it in the past and gotten a nice paycheck from it.

Special needs schools are covered by the govt, even the private ones. I know this from a friend whose son attends a private special needs school She doesn't pay a penny for it.

Not everyone has a choice of where to live. It's a bit more complicated than telling someone to up and move to a different city.

[b]

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 10:01 am
I don't know if it'll help you but my kids school administrator once mentioned that his formula for tuition is 20-25% of your income regardless of how many children.
This is a community that values having lots of kids. And the policy reflects that.

Another community I know asks for 10% of income regardless of kids. But that community school is much better off financially than ours.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics