Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Really annoying employee

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 8:58 am
I have a position in middle management at work, although there are a few of us in middle management. Aside from my regular team which I manage, I am also in charge of training all new employees (whether on my team or not) and assigning them to follow a more experienced employee (whether on my team or not) as part of training.

One of the new employees is very nice, but she is very loud, interrupts a lot, and assertive to the point of pushiness. I feel that some of it is an attempt to show that she knows what she's doing, and some of it might just be her personality, but it is annoying everyone. The experienced employee she is following came to talk to me about it because she's driving her crazy, and several other employees complained to me as well. My boss (the department head) is away at the moment, so it's in my jurisdiction to deal with it since I'm responsible for training.

Any advice on what to do? I'm really at a loss as to how to approach her, but I can't just ignore it because this is bothering so many people.

OOTforlife

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 9:08 am
If you are usually present when these things happen, you can firmly intervene on a case by case basis to clarify the boundaries she is crossing. For example, "Excuse me, Martha, but Jennifer was not finished. Jennifer?" Or "I understand that you feel strongly about this Martha, but this is Jennifer's decision." You may see improvement after a number of such interventions. If you're not around, is the senior employee capable of intervening firmly when necessary?

Fox

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 9:33 am
Document, document, document.

Jot down some of the specific situations in which Ms. Prudence Pushy has behaved in ways that derailed the effectiveness of the team and/or alienated others.

Sit down with her and explain what she's doing wrong. Give extremely specific examples so that she understands. Express confidence that she'll be a great employee but perhaps isn't aware of how others interpret her behavior or how the culture of your organization works.

Follow up every few days with her on the matter to give her feedback, both negative and positive. Again, document all of this so that a record exists should she need to be terminated. But hopefully you'll see improvement, and getting feedback may actually make her feel more secure and thus less likely to summon her alpha instincts.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics