Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Gluten Free Vacation (near Tri-State area?)

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 3:08 pm
I wasn't sure whether to post this under Vacation and Travel or here...
Anyone who's gluten free successfully vacationed anywhere in NY, NJ, PA etc (I know that's no tri-state but thinking anywhere not to far away).

In other words, have you found any hotel or other program that would accommodate your dietary needs?

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 12:52 pm
BUMP. Anyone? Or do us poor GF types just have to stay home or lug a huge cooler of food somewhere (which to me means stay home)?

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 2:08 pm
amother wrote:
BUMP. Anyone? Or do us poor GF types just have to stay home or lug a huge cooler of food somewhere (which to me means stay home)?

We travel with food but if u look up whole foods or trader Joe's near your location you can find food.

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 2:39 pm
Do you mean a kosher hotel with meals included? If so, assume that all food will be contaminated to some extent. If that's ok for you, you can call whatever program you have in mind and ask them if they've done gf before, and would be willing to work with you.

If you don't mean a hotel, what exactly are you asking?

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 3:18 pm
I think most kosher-keeping people, gluten free or not, bring their own food for the most part.

amother
Pewter

Post Sat, Jul 29 2017, 8:26 pm
Unless you need a dedicated kitchen, every restaurant I have been to has roasted chicken, baked fish, rice, potatoes, vegetables etc etc I can't be picky and expect a lot of variety, but there's always something. If I'm willing to take the time to ask questions about ingredients and wait for the answers from the chef, they're usually accommodating.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sat, Jul 29 2017, 9:02 pm
Most of the wedding halls I have called were very nice and some even said they'd prepare somethings separate.

But one hall I called said "No, NOTHING is gluten free". Which of course is not true. There's fruit, most salads. I was able to have salmon and turkey at the shmorg.

But probably the woman had just had way too many calls like that, or a rough day.

I am not celiac so a little contamination doesn't worry me. I would just love to know what hotels others have found to be accommodating .

happyone

Post Sat, Jul 29 2017, 10:46 pm
We usually take along some backup . I've found that Protien, fruit and veggies you can get anywhere . Usually rice and potatoes as side dishes don't have gluten in most hotrl/restaurants. Soups tend to be a pRoblem. Dairy restaurants have less gf options. Most places would easily grill for you fish or meat et..

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 8:11 am
amother wrote:
Most of the wedding halls I have called were very nice and some even said they'd prepare somethings separate.

But one hall I called said "No, NOTHING is gluten free". Which of course is not true. There's fruit, most salads. I was able to have salmon and turkey at the shmorg.

But probably the woman had just had way too many calls like that, or a rough day.

I am not celiac so a little contamination doesn't worry me. I would just love to know what hotels others have found to be accommodating .

I'm confused. Why are you calling wedding halls? I thought you're going on vacation?

And the hall that said nothing is gluten free was probably doing the right thing. They don't want to be responsible for saying something is definitely gluten free when they don't have the ability to ensure no cross contamination occurred.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 9:33 am
Some won't take the responsibility... in the end it's on you to decide to trust or not.

Buy Kosher GF things.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 5:04 pm
Quote:
I'm confused. Why are you calling wedding halls? I thought you're going on vacation?
I'm just giving an example of the kind of response one can sometimes get.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics