Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Library on Shabbos?
1  2  Next

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 9:04 am
Is it ok to go to a public library on Shabbos? I know would be a problem to check books out, but what about just reading there? Our local branch doesn't have automatic doors or any other kind of electronic entrance. Honestly, the only issue I could think of is that I've never seen any frum people doing it, so maybe there's something I'm not thinking of. My kids were asking to go yesterday, and I felt bad saying no. Especially with the afternoons being so long this time of year, I guess I want to look into it for the future if it's an option. If no, is there a real reason, aside from "not shabbosdik"? Thanks.

imasinger

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 9:28 am
AYLOR.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 9:32 am
We just moved here and don't have one yet.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 9:35 am
I don't see why not, assuming you think reading is an acceptable activity.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 9:37 am
You can call your old rabbi, or the rabbi at the local shul even if he doesn't know you. This can definitely be problematic.. or not. You need to ask.

Rachel Shira

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 10:45 am
I remember this coming up when I was a kid. We never did it because it wasn't in the spirit of Shabbos. I can't think of a specific halachic problem though.

zzzz

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 10:51 am
I agree with the above that it doesn't seem to pose a halachic problem but is not in the spirit of Shabbat. Ask your Rav.

As an alternative, perhaps you can check out before Shabbat several books for each of your children to keep them occupied over Shabbat.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 11:30 am
I guess I'll call our old Rav. We have tons of books of our own at home and are constantly checking out others, but this library in the new town is really nice and the kids love going. They want to actually go, rather than read at home.

Amarante

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 1:01 pm
Why would this be different than going to a park or other permitted recreational destination. So long as nothing is done that violates, why would going to a library be different than going to a playground?

I am not even understanding why it's not in the spirit of Shabbos any more than any other children's recreational activity. Children are allowed to read books for pleasure on Shabbos.

What specific action is wrong - taking books from the shelf and going to a table or chair to read? Why is this different than performing the same action in one's home? Is it the physical carrying of the books at the library?

Genuinely curious as to what portion of the activity is problematic.

heidi

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 1:04 pm
zzzz wrote:
I agree with the above that it doesn't seem to pose a halachic problem but is not in the spirit of Shabbat. Ask your Rav.

As an alternative, perhaps you can check out before Shabbat several books for each of your children to keep them occupied over Shabbat.

Why is taking a walk and reading not in the spirit of Shabbat?
To me it sounds just as good (if not better) than playing Risk or Monopoly for hours on end. Or even than getting all sweaty and gross in a playground

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 1:17 pm
In general, a library is a place where people perform melachos that are not allowed on shabbos. People usually check books in and out and use the computers. Even if you aren't doing that on shabbos, you're surrounded by people who are. That's very different from going somewhere where shabbos doesn't change much. Yes, people can bring chalk or electric scooters to the park. But it's not an inherent part of park-going that you're simply avoiding on that day.

That's how I see it, at least.

Blessing1

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 3:03 pm
I'm thinking that even if it might be halachaklly allowed, it might not be allowed because of marris ayin.

mommyhood

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 3:06 pm
Our library has lots of people on computers and iPads right near the books so it's not an environment that I'd be comfortable with for Shabbos.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 3:21 pm
Why don't you go to the library on Friday and take out the books you would read on shabbos. We try to go on Fridays especially when shabbos starts so late.

Another mom

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 9:02 am
I remember going once as a kid on Shabbos. NO iPads then!!

miami85

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 9:18 am
I remember thinking about it when I was a kid, and was told it wasn't Shabbosdik--but also the library was like a mile away from me so not practical, but no one I know who lived nearby did it either. I do recall an incident where there was some sort of Town Hall meeting occurring at the library on Shabbos and a local Rabbi encouraged people from the community to attend it. I don't remember the topic other than it was a "hot topic".

I second the idea of taking a bunch of books out for shabbos reading.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 10:07 am
Thanks. I think I posted above, but I'll say again: we already DO check books out before Shabbos and have tons and tons of books that we own. That's not the issue. They want to actually go to the library. It happens to be around the corner and really nice and they like going. If I shouldn't allow it, I need a good reason. I hear that about the computers- that even if they wouldn't be using them, it may not be so appropriate to hang out in a space where lots of people are using computers on Shabbos. Maybe that's how I should frame it.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 10:12 am
amother wrote:
Thanks. I think I posted above, but I'll say again: we already DO check books out before Shabbos and have tons and tons of books that we own. That's not the issue. They want to actually go to the library. It happens to be around the corner and really nice and they like going. If I shouldn't allow it, I need a good reason. I hear that about the computers- that even if they wouldn't be using them, it may not be so appropriate to hang out in a space where lots of people are using computers on Shabbos. Maybe that's how I should frame it.

How to frame it? There are just some things we don't do on Shabbos. Even if you enjoy the library more than all your other Shabbos options.
Actually, you can stop at, there are just some things we don't do on Shabbos.

ETA: I second Imasinger. AYR.

Hatzlacha, and may you find the move bringing you bracha and simcha and growth for your family.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 11:05 am
Not to play devil's advocate but what difference does it make if people around you are on a computer. If one walks out of one's house, there will be people driving; people using the phone; stores open and all kinds of other activities that are not done on Shabbos by the frum.

While the role of the library has expanded with new forms of communication, I think the activity that most people immediately associate with a library is people looking at paper books and reading quietly.

The library is not exactly Satan's den of iniquity. One can be in a building where electricity is being turned on or off or appliances are being used and one doesn't generally think that one is going to be tainted by what others are doing around them. Undoubted someone is tearing toilet paper somewhere LOL The list of things being done in proximity is endless and unavoidable unless one never leaves one's home or else lives an extremely isolated existence.

Why is using an iPad different than someone using paper and pencil to write down stuff. Would one balk at being in a place where people were writing?

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 11:14 am
Amarante wrote:
Not to play devil's advocate but what difference does it make if people around you are on a computer. If one walks out of one's house, there will be people driving; people using the phone; stores open and all kinds of other activities that are not done on Shabbos by the frum.

While the role of the library has expanded with new forms of communication, I think the activity that most people immediately associate with a library is people looking at paper books and reading quietly.

The library is not exactly Satan's den of iniquity. One can be in a building where electricity is being turned on or off or appliances are being used and one doesn't generally think that one is going to be tainted by what others are doing around them. Undoubted someone is tearing toilet paper somewhere LOL The list of things being done in proximity is endless and unavoidable unless one never leaves one's home or else lives an extremely isolated existence.

Why is using an iPad different than someone using paper and pencil to write down stuff. Would one balk at being in a place where people were writing?

Agreed. Then again, we often see frum people in the library on Shabbat.

And we see plenty of people with cell phones at the park. When the ice cream truck comes, its easy to tell who is a Shomer Shabbat Jew. But we don't stop going there
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note