Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Is it just my family?
1  2  Next

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 8:14 am
After the summer season all dd and ds clothes go in the garbage. I can't be used as hand me downs. Dd 5.5 and ds 4 get it full of stains. And I cant them clean. I buy the cheapest clothes but I wonder what people do when they buy more expensive ones. I hate having to throw it out Dd 5 driped watermelon all over her shabbos white shell. It went through the top of her cover up when I make it tighter she complains Im hurting her neck. Any tips to share are my kids the only sloppy ones?

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 8:19 am
Learn better stain removal techniques? Some of my kids stuff definitely gets ruined from school projects (not always washable) or really stubborn stains. But most can still be passed down in good condition.

esuss

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 8:19 am
I buy Walmart or target clothing whenever possible to avoid that guilt of throwing out good clothes. I bought more expensive clothing thinking that they will wash better. They don't. I buy the cheapest pants weekday shirts and white boys Shabbos shirts. They wear it till they are unsightly and then throw them out.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 8:24 am
amother wrote:
After the summer season all dd and ds clothes go in the garbage. I can't be used as hand me downs. Dd 5.5 and ds 4 get it full of stains. And I cant them clean. I buy the cheapest clothes but I wonder what people do when they buy more expensive ones. I hate having to throw it out Dd 5 driped watermelon all over her shabbos white shell. It went through the top of her cover up when I make it tighter she complains Im hurting her neck. Any tips to share are my kids the only sloppy ones?

Why can't u wash the white shell? Why he need to throw it out?! Rolling Eyes

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 8:27 am
Your kids are not the only messy ones Smile I usually though am able to save at least half their clothes usually more. I don't make them crazy about staying clean but at home they were bibs with sleeves when eating (looks a drop like a smock ( till about age 7). I know people who have a "special" shabbos shirt for their kids that they use only during shabbos meals. Also when I know their clothes is more likely to get ruined - ex on trip, a rainy muddy day I put on their cheaper stuff or stuff that are a little messed up already anyways

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 8:29 am
Double post

yidish

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 8:36 am
amother wrote:
Why can't u wash the white shell? Why he need to throw it out?! Rolling Eyes

Not all stains come out from washing.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 8:41 am
yidish wrote:

A watermelon stain?!
We're not talking about paint here. We're talking about a watermelon stain.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 8:42 am
yidish wrote:

Organic stains like watermelon will come out using appropriate stain removal techniques.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 8:46 am
Watermelon and other fruits make stains that are really hard to come out. My kids eat with their clothes so I know what it's like! It is possible to take many stains out. Good dish soap and peroxide help a lot. The key is to get the stain out right away and before you launder it in the machine.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 9:30 am
I buy expensive clothes, and since I care about them I am very careful with them. When my kids get undressed, I examine all the clothing and soak it right away if needed. Then I wash and check if the stain came out. If not, I treat again. I never dry their good clothes because that sets the stains.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 9:34 am
I don't really relate, no.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 9:37 am
My kids are super messy, but most stains seem to come out just fine. My problem s that I can never hand pants down, boys just destroy their pants. I know I'm not the only one with that problem, all the moms of boys I know say the same.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 9:58 am
1. There are ways to keep kids somewhat neater when eating .

2. As others have said, there are ways to remove most stains.

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 12:01 pm

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 1:14 pm
Cheap clothing is made from cheap man made fabrics, it is far more difficult to remove spots and prevent stains on some cheap polyester. It's almost a given that a synthetic will stain. A moderately priced cotton garment will respond positively to a good pretreatment. (When pretreating be sure to pretreat both sides of the fabric.) Yea it's gonna take more thought and work than just trashing the clothing but in the long run it is sustainable.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 1:59 pm
zaq, how did you manage to post a blank reply? LOL

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 2:04 pm
ra_mom wrote:
zaq, how did you manage to post a blank reply? LOL

I think she was speachless.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 2:48 pm
So what are good inexpensive stain treaters? Someone wrote that for oily food to use dish soap is that the best stain treatment for pizza and chulent stains?

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 2:55 pm
amother wrote:
So what are good inexpensive stain treaters? Someone wrote that for oily food to use dish soap is that the best stain treatment for pizza and chulent stains?

Dish det will work for all of them if the fabric is cotton, treat both sides, use a tooth brush. If it's a synthetic you can forget it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics