Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
How much of a tuition break do Rebbeim/Moros get?
1  2  Next

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 9:48 pm
My husband is a Rebbe and I'm curious how other schools compare in terms of what type of tuition discount it offers its teachers. Does it make a difference if the teacher is part/full time? Does it depend on other factors?
If you don't feel comfortable saying where your school is located, can you at least mention if it is in the tristate area or if it's OOT. (And for OOT maybe differentiate between a large Jewish community and a small one. I'm curious if this makes a difference.)

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 9:50 pm
In case my OP is unclear, I am asking about a discount for the children of teachers who are students in the school their parent teaches in.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 9:57 pm
Im in a large oot community where I teach parttime. I get a 50% tuition break where I work. I think rebbes get 100%.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 10:14 pm
in the trip state area school I teach in I gut 100% tuition break for all of my girls. I believe rebbeim in our 'brother' school get free for boys and girls
Not a bad perk at all!

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 10:16 pm
Since people are anonymous anyway, is there anyone who chose to teach/ stay in this line of work because of the tuition break?

out-of-towner

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 10:25 pm
amother wrote:
Since people are anonymous anyway, is there anyone who chose to teach/ stay in this line of work because of the tuition break?

Anyone going into Chinuch for the money is either disillusioned or can't do anything else. The Mechanchim that I know (and hopefully the ones who will teach my children) are in it because they believe in the power of the impact they can make on a Neshama. Yes, it is important for the community to take care of its Mechanchim, but no one is striking it rich in Chinuch.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 10:32 pm
In a medium OOT place I once lived, FT staff got free tuition, but only in that school.
PT staff got a tiny break, not much.

Where I live now (small OOT), FT staff get free tuition. I think PT staff don't get anything.

About your last question, I have seen staff go from PT to FT just when their oldest comes of age...

So many ppl here talk about scholarships as charity and ppl should realize what it means, etc... but what about all the teachers who don't pay tuition? Their children are getting educated off the backs of the full tuition paying families... or from the scholarship fund. They never get shamed for taking the tuition break! So don't shame the non teachers who take tuition breaks either - often they are just as tight financially - and at least they pay SOMETHING and not NOTHING!

Sorry for going off topic, but this thread reminded me of something I wanted to say for a while.

groovy1224

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 10:36 pm
amother wrote:

I don't know anyone who made the decision to stay/leave chinuch because of the tuition break, but I have plenty of friends who chose to stay or leave a specific school because of it. A preschool morah with all boys may choose to find a job in a boys' yeshiva because of the break she gets, and vice versa.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 10:48 pm
out-of-towner wrote:
Anyone going into Chinuch for the money is either disillusioned or can't do anything else. The Mechanchim that I know (and hopefully the ones who will teach my children) are in it because they believe in the power of the impact they can make on a Neshama. Yes, it is important for the community to take care of its Mechanchim, but no one is striking it rich in Chinuch.

I definitely don't think anyone is striking it rich. I will say that you're fortunate to know such idealistic teachers.. I have personally heard from a couple that they sort of ended up teaching but they don't love it. It's a shame, but it's reality.

Anyway, I was just curious how much the tuition break factors into someone's choice to let's say stay in their position vs leave the job if their meager salary alone isn't making a huge dent in the family finances. That sort of thing.

Not sure what my local school offers teachers, but if you have four kids in the school and 50% reduction that's a lot of money off the bat. It's a pretty significant perk, IMO.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 10:55 pm
I live oot where tuition is over 15k. A rebbe with 6 children who isn't paying tuition is basically getting a, 90K bonus on top of his salary... He's making a lot more than most of the working fathers of the kinderlach he's teaching.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 11:16 pm
When I taught in a girls' high school in New Jersey, I didn't get a penny towards tuition, but I was able to pay tuition for any child in NJ from pre-tax dollars. That was the equivalent of a 20 per cent raise. (This was years ago; I don't know if tax laws have changed.)

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 11:20 pm
amother wrote:
When I taught in a girls' high school in New Jersey, I didn't get a penny towards tuition, but I was able to pay tuition for any child in NJ from pre-tax dollars. That was the equivalent of a 20 per cent raise. (This was years ago; I don't know if tax laws have changed.)

they have not.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 1:10 am
out-of-towner wrote:

Please do not be so naive. There are plenty working for the break 10000000%

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 1:23 am
amother wrote:
Please do not be so naive. There are plenty working for the break 10000000%

yes - but that break on top of the salary doesn't make anyone rich. It makes is possible to teach for a living.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 1:30 am
amother wrote:
I live oot where tuition is over 15k. A rebbe with 6 children who isn't paying tuition is basically getting a, 90K bonus on top of his salary... He's making a lot more than most of the working fathers of the kinderlach he's teaching.

And how much is the base salary? A 90k bonus is huge!

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 1:56 am
amother wrote:

So many ppl here talk about scholarships as charity and ppl should realize what it means, etc... but what about all the teachers who don't pay tuition? Their children are getting educated off the backs of the full tuition paying families...

the teachers are likely not earning 'market wages' (ie what they could earn if they taught in public school - or choose a different career all together) - so to compensate for that, they get 'tuition, in lieu of cash'.

The alternative would be to pay teachers what they could be earning 'outside the system', ask them to pay for their own kids tuition, and then at the same time, raise the tuition for everyone to fund the higher salaries.

that's the justification.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 2:01 am
amother wrote:

So many ppl here talk about scholarships as charity and ppl should realize what it means, etc... but what about all the teachers who don't pay tuition? Their children are getting educated off the backs of the full tuition paying families... or from the scholarship fund. They never get shamed for taking the tuition break! So don't shame the non teachers who take tuition breaks either - often they are just as tight financially - and at least they pay SOMETHING and not NOTHING!

It's not the same at all. The free tuitions are part of the teacher's salary. That's the only way the school can get away with paying $25,000 - $35,000 - they factor in the tuitions which brings it up to a more decent amount.

May

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 2:35 am
amother wrote:

Don't kid yourself, it's nothing like a 90k bonus. Say the Rebbe made 35k in a different job and then applied for a scholarship in the school because with that income who can afford tuition. So they assess him as having to pay 3k per kid, for 6 kids a total of 18k. So his bonus for teaching in that school is 18k not 90. Still a nice bonus, but no where near 90. And his base salary is small. And that's assuming all 6 kids can go to the school he teaches in, often not due to varying ages, genders and learning needs. So if only half his kids go to his school (that's a pretty realistic estimate, it's equivalent to a 9k bonus (only 10% of what you had said).

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 2:44 am
Sorry but some people here are extremely extremely naive

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 3:08 am
amother wrote:
Sorry but some people here are extremely extremely naive

about what? why people go into teaching?

If Mrs. Cohen is willing to work full time at 25K at the school - to avoid paying tuition for her kids who go to that school - it benefits both Mrs. Cohen and the school.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics