Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Salary dilemma

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 10:08 am
I was more-or-less hand-picked for my current position. The main sticking point when I took the job, is that the salary was about $2,000 less gross than what I had been offered at other places (but couldn't take due to logistical reasons) and I had specific experience for this type of job. My salary officially is generated by a grant for a certain titled position that I was told is "equivalent" to what the other jobs were.

I have a Master's degree for the type of work that I do, and in most cases, I could probably earn at least $10k more--but the jobs are more difficult to come by and are generally more pressured and have more responsibilities. When I weigh it with the fact that I'm near my kids' school, relatively not far from my home, we're closed for y"t on a technicality, and I'm pretty much my own boss--its not so bad.

However, what bother's me is that when I took the job, my employer led me to believe that when the time came to renew the grant, she would apply for a higher salary. I worked very hard and diligently to try to impress her that I was worth "more."But the grant application came and went and without much fanfare a year later, she told me that since my position according to the grant is lower in rank than what I actually do, she could not get the raise for me--not a cent more. My boss has been super understanding in general, and not picky with when I get to work, and even this summer has allowed me to leave early so that I don't have to pay for extended care at camp.

So my dilemma is that now I'm expecting and in crunching our numbers, reality is that we're not doing great, and I don't know how we're going to be able to afford babysitting.

The new grant is written in Sept/Oct and I'm due shortly after that. Is there anyway that I should ask again for a raise? On the one hand, I know what I was told last year, but we need more to cover babysitting. I don't have much leverage, other than I don't know if I can come back. But realistically we NEED my job--I'm the higher salary between me and my husband, but he's in a 2-year commitment at his entry-level job and we get health insurance through his job. I would love to get a "real" job in my field, but they are SO hard to come by and having a newborn, will I have the mental capacity to handle it right away? Last year I was having a hard enough time getting one kid out the door in the morning (I have 2 older kids that my husband would get out the door) and now a stubborn toddler and an infant? I do like the nature of my work, but it is somewhat of a dead-end career-wise. I know l'Hashem hayeshua, but what is the proper hishtadlush right now?

JoyInTheMorning

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 10:17 am
I don't know what to advise you, but I know something about writing grant proposals, and there is a fair amount of flexibility in how you do your staffing. If you are valuable to your boss, you need to be written in at the level that you should be. Moreover, it is expected that salaries, even for the same level, rise over time (around 3-5% a year). Don't let yourself get shafted.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 10:24 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
I don't know what to advise you, but I know something about writing grant proposals, and there is a fair amount of flexibility in how you do your staffing. If you are valuable to your boss, you need to be written in at the level that you should be. Moreover, it is expected that salaries, even for the same level, rise over time (around 3-5% a year). Don't let yourself get shafted.

So the whole conversation that came up after discussing my raise was that "B/c your position is technically x, and doesn't need your qualifications, so it can't get the higher salary."
--but its like they specifically wanted someone with my qualifications b/c of the majority of work that I do requires it. I'm also dually-certified so I can accomplish more than what I'm required. I have a unique experience set that would be difficult to replicate.

I know that my company is small and not in the best shape--but what I do for them is extremely important and not directly connected to the rest of the $$$ that the school manages.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 10:27 am
I wish I could reply under my name, but I dont want to give away my job, so amother it is.

I work for a philanthropic foundation. I READ the grant proposals, and the budgeted numbers. We LIKE to see when orgs ask for higher salary for the person whom we are funding! Show them with actuals how you have benefited the org. The foundation who is providing the grant will need hard numbers. How has your work improved the org that you work for? How can you justify the raise to the foundation? You will need to provide quantifiable and quantifiable data. Can you? Your boss should be on board if you can.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 10:33 am
amother wrote:
I wish I could reply under my name, but I dont want to give away my job, so amother it is.

I work for a philanthropic foundation. I READ the grant proposals, and the budgeted numbers. We LIKE to see when orgs ask for higher salary for the person whom we are funding! Show them with actuals how you have benefited the org. The foundation who is providing the grant will need hard numbers. How has your work improved the org that you work for? How can you justify the raise to the foundation? You will need to provide quantifiable and quantifiable data. Can you? Your boss should be on board if you can.

So, I'm in a similar situation as you otherwise I would be more specific, but my grant comes from the State Ed department, not private donors, I don't know if that makes a difference. So this year, might be slightly harder to justify my raise b/c after I didn't get it the first time I didn't work quite as hard--not derelict but didn't push myself quite as hard, and I was expecting so I was kind of floating along during part of the year, and while my job is meant to be very important to the company, it didn't have quite the direct impact so far, more or less, its just a "money generator" for the company.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics