Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Changing underwear before bed tonight?

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 8:54 am
Im wearing the same pyjamas as last night, but does anyone know about changing underwear tisha b'av night if one normally does before bed? Pregnancy brain here- I can't remember for the life of me what we've done in years past What

doctorima

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 8:57 am
What's the issue? You're allowed to wear fresh undergarments during the 9 days, including Tisha B'Av itself.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 9:02 am
doctorima wrote:
What's the issue? You're allowed to wear fresh undergarments during the 9 days, including Tisha B'Av itself.

Thx! 9 days I knew about, just couldnt remember about tonight.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 9:20 am
Wow. Many men in my neighborhood are chomping down steaks every night in some community siyum. On the other end of the extreme some woman are concerned about changing their underwear.

leah233

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 9:33 am
amother wrote:
Wow. Many men in my neighborhood are chomping down steaks every night in some community siyum. ..

If the men in your neighborhood are doing enough learning and are friendly enough to make nightly community siyumim you have to give credit where it is due...

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 10:05 am
amother wrote:
If the men in your neighborhood are doing enough learning and are friendly enough to make nightly community siyumim you have to give credit where it is due...

Kol hakavod to you! This reminds me of something I read 10 days ago in Hamodia from Rabbi Ephraim Shapiro. He said that each of the haftoros of the 3 weeks starts with words that give us clues how to get out of galus (though I don't remember them exactly):
- Dabru - speak, use your speech to lift people up (of all the methods of kinyan, the most effective is hagbah, when one lifts up)
- Shimu - be a good listener
- Chazon - vision, use your eyes with an ayin tova in all your encounters.

Salut

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 12:52 pm
doctorima wrote:

There are those that hold u dont change/ no deodorant/ brushing the hair/ making the bed till chatzos.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 1:06 pm
I'd have out of control jock itch.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 1:13 pm
amother wrote:
There are those that hold u dont change/ no deodorant/ brushing the hair/ making the bed till chatzos.

While I definitely don't hold you can't change your clothes before chatzos, I don't see why it's a problem for those that do to change underwear before the fast starts just like they brush they're teeth after eating the seudas hamafsekes. Bedtime is a just a few hours later.
But my personal opinion is that changing underwear should be as simple as using the bathroom. If you need it, do it.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Sep 18 2018, 4:13 am; edited 1 time in total

octopus

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 2:52 pm
YES you can change your underwear and socks. This is absolutely allowed/

watergirl

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 3:17 pm
I have never ever heard that you cant change underwear.... or clothes at all for that matter.

Remember, a lot of this is minhag. Very little is halacha.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 3:40 pm
watergirl wrote:
I have never ever heard that you cant change underwear.... or clothes at all for that matter.

These things are certainly Halacha and not just minhagim

see this link for the sources

http://halachipedia.com/index......_Days

Of course if it pertains to you ask your own shaalos

octopus

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 3:45 pm
amother wrote:

None of this pertains to op's question. Underwear and socks are not included.

ETA: I don't know who the author of this wikipedia page is, but anyone can put up anything they want on wikipedia. A more reliable source is getting one of those halacha for the three weeks pamphlets. I have never read anywhere that you have to wear dirty underwear and socks and my Rav b'dafka mentioned underwear and socks as something you are permitted to launder during 9 days.

watergirl

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 4:03 pm
amother wrote:

There are literally five restrictions that are halachic for 9av other than the regular 9 days restrictions. Not changing your underwear certainly isn't one of them. Saving of changing your clothing. I seriously so not changing your underwear certainly isn't one of them. Saving of changing your clothing. There's a very big difference between Minhag and halacha.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 4:31 pm
Underwear ? You can get an infection chas veshalom if you don't.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 5:21 am
I don't think she'll get an infection for one day, but definitely change if you feel bad.

I did learn (MO) no deodorant, no comfort thing, no changing clothes on TBA. But underwear, if you feel bad etc... and it wasn't yet the fast, right?

essie14

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 7:04 am
Spray deodorant is fine

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 4:46 am
watergirl wrote:

Yes, I would guess it's minhag.
The halachos of Tisha B'Av mirror those of shiva. One can change underwear and socks during shiva.
As far as not wearing fresh clothes till chatzos, I assume it's a matter of not wearing fresh clothes, like the rest of the Nine Days, which is, I've been taught halacha. We make clothes unfresh before the Nine Days by wearing for a bit (long enough to not get fresh, up to half an hour) or leaving them on the floor for a bit. One does not have to wear the same clothes she wore on Tisha B'Av. The halachos of Tisha B'Av concerning washing hands and deodorant do not apply after Tisha B'Av. However, as far as full hot showers, shaving (men), haircuts, etc., one waits for chatzos.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note