Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
3.5 yr old didn't Learn about tisha bav. How to explain

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 6:42 pm
He's very smart kah and asks lots of questions. What's the best way to explain tisha bav to him ?

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 6:44 pm
Today is a day we are sad because many years ago the beis hamikdash was destroyed.

Stars

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 6:47 pm
I told my two year old that hashem's home burnt up a long time ago when he asked why we eat ash. He thought about it for a minute, asked a question or two, and then ran off to play. I think you're the only one who knows what your child needs to hear at this point in his life.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 10:44 am
I told my grown up children that I think I have heard that there is really no inyan of chinuch in the three weeks, nine days or tisha b'av, since BEH by the time they are of age to do mitzvos Mashiach will surely be here.

They don't seem to have heard of it (did I not raise them this way?)

I don't know a source abut I am sure there is one, I hope some one here has heard of this?
The same reason our kinos are thin flimsy booklets and some put them in shaimos every year.

TeachersNotebook

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 9:20 am
Sapphire, I'm not sure I understand the logic. Mashiach might come by next Chanukah, but I teach them about this Chanukah anyway, don't I? Furthermore, our yearly public mourning is a sign of how important the beis hamikdash and Hashem's presence is to us as a nation. They will need this concept when mashiach comes.

Sorry I'm answering this late, OP, but I gave my DD the general story (Hashem used to live in a big house in Yerushalayim, and we used to love to bring him presents there. But then a bad king came and burned it down, so now we're very sad.) The two concepts I focused on were that our good actions can add bricks to the bais hamikdash so we can rebuild it; and I showed her lots of pictures of the bais hamikdash and the avodah. We built (very primitive) replicas of parts of the bais hamikdash so she could do some dramatic play as a kohen and levi.

She still talks to me now about adding bricks to the bais hamikdash after she does something good for someone, so I'm debating making her one of those kosel-looking posters, where she can add a brick for every mitzvah she does.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note