Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Do I let my son play with dolls?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

mame1

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 12:58 am
My personal opinion is that if he wants a doll, you should get him a "boy doll" to play with and dress up. I understand that baby dolls aren't boys/girls- they're just babies- however, an American Girl doll is definitely a girl. Aren't they like pre-teen girls? I think American Girl should make a line of dolls for boys. Maybe you should write to the company! Make everyone happy.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 1:20 am
mame1 wrote:
My personal opinion is that if he wants a doll, you should get him a "boy doll" to play with and dress up. I understand that baby dolls aren't boys/girls- they're just babies- however, an American Girl doll is definitely a girl. Aren't they like pre-teen girls? I think American Girl should make a line of dolls for boys. Maybe you should write to the company! Make everyone happy.

Well American Girl makes a woefully expensive boy doll, Logan. My personal preference is Boy Storey dolls.

munchkinbaby

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 3:54 am

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 7:56 am
A boy playing with dolls! Aren't you worried he might become....

A good father?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 8:30 am
They let boys at cheder.

watergirl

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 8:46 am
amother wrote:
Oh, and my husband thinks it's not tznius that my son is undressing and dressing the doll.

Because it would reveal the fabric underneath? Sigh. So dont buy him a barbie. This sounds more like a conflation of religion than real religion. #faketorah

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 8:48 am
I grew up without Barby and never heard of american doll before Imamother.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 8:51 am
I feel like I just stepped back into 1852. Op, let your son play with the doll. I honestly think that not letting him play with a doll because "it's for girls" will be emotionally damaging for him.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 9:04 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
I feel like I just stepped back into 1852. Op, let your son play with the doll. I honestly think that not letting him play with a doll because "it's for girls" will be emotionally damaging for him.

As I noted above, its not really her question. If you read the op carefully you will see that she wants to let him play with them. Her DH wants to tell him they are for girls. So even though it is posted under Parenting, it is really a Shalom Bayis question. I'm not qualified to answer that aspect of the question.

I know you mean well, but please don't scare the op by saying her son will be emotionally damaged.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 9:05 am
munchkinbaby wrote:

I get the whole "there are no girl and boy toys" thing, but I just can't picture myself stepping in on another mom's parenting choice when it's not putting the child at risk.

Tzutzie

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 9:21 am
amother wrote:
Ukrainians do not let boys play with dolls and girls play with guns.
I personally think there is nothing wrong if they plays with it. But I don't think I would go out and buy a doll for a boy.

I don't have boys.
But I'd be 100% ok with my future sons playing with dolls.
That said, I would NOT be ok with any of my kids playing with guns.

Waterguns ok. (My kid has those but prefers a regular spray bottle instead. Smile
But guns as in "powpowpow-you're-dead-raaaa!" Like my neighbors kid does, not ok in my book. Not for girl and not for boy either.

marina

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 9:39 am
baby12x wrote:
I don't know...
My husband is plenty masculine and has babies and he owns a stroller... Just saying

Does your husband change the kids and feed them? Aren't you worried he might be gay? Just something to consider for the future.

marina

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 9:41 am

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 10:20 am
I didn't mind my son playing with dolls.
And my girls playing with guns, balls, trains, etc.
But your asking women.
I think men see it differently

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 10:23 am
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....lSrch

This thread reminds me of this book LOL Get it!
It's a great book!

My son has dolls. He told me when he was 2 that he needed a doll so he can "practice to be a good totty" When he got older he wanted an "American Girl" doll that looked like him. (This was before Logan existed) I ended up getting one on Etsy from a woman who alters used American Girl dolls (adds boy hair sews boy clothes for them etc...) He made me buy a size "0" yarmulke for that doll Very Happy

My daughters have dolls AND Lego. My older teenage daughter outgrew playing with dolls but is still quite the Lego enthusiast. She saves up her babysitting money for those amazing (expensive) Lego models (the ones for "ages 16+") Oh, and makeup, she loves makeup too.

Tell your DH to leave your son alone. And have him read the book "Williams Doll" (your DH, oh and your son too ;-) )

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 10:38 am
Tzutzie wrote:
I don't have boys.
But I'd be 100% ok with my future sons playing with dolls.
That said, I would NOT be ok with any of my kids playing with guns.

Waterguns ok. (My kid has those but prefers a regular spray bottle instead. Smile
But guns as in "powpowpow-you're-dead-raaaa!" Like my neighbors kid does, not ok in my book. Not for girl and not for boy either.

What's wrong with guns? My boys have tons of toy weapons and they're sweet and polite and not violent at all because they know full well that real violence is completely unacceptable. They also don't find ways to turn everything into a weapon like their friends who aren't allowed to play with toy weapons.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 11:43 am
Ds3 puts on the shtreimel my mother made him and pushes a doll in the toy stroller. He says he's the Tatti. He sometimes tells his sister to be the mommy, she's 20 mo. She walks next to him as he pushes the stroller around the house.
I made cloth diapers for the dolls with Velcro closures, he likes to change the diaper.
This is a responsible Tatti!

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 11:49 am
Tell your husband its not a doll, its an "action figure."

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 12:36 pm
I bought my son a doll and a doll carriage. He's now 8 and has lost interest, mostly, but I don't check up on him. If he wants to, he can play with them.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 12:50 pm
I don't have a boy, but for the first 5 years, DD's favorite toys were cars, dump trucks, and dinosaurs. She had dolls of every ethnicity, as well, but she loved the "action toys" best. She didn't have any interest in AG dolls until her BFF got one for her birthday, around age 10.

She never had any interest in toy guns, even water guns, but she's a dead shot with a pellet rifle. Her uncle taught her gun safety and marksmanship. She's also incredibly accurate with a bow and arrow.

She's still a girl.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics