Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What are you making tonight?
Previous  1  2  3  4

simba

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 10:03 pm
amother wrote:
Can you please post your broccoli spinach quiche. Not for tonight but sounds good

Why amother with such an innocent question? If you pm me your email address I'll send it to you. If you don tell I'll type it up tomorrow when im by a desktop. It is so good!

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 11:27 pm
amother wrote:
Sefardi?

Nope, Ashkenazi. I thought shiurim were only for yom Kippur, but this year I was told that to prevent me from completely breaking my fast (which would have happened had I tried to fast all the way since I get very weak and pass out), I should start drinking shiurim before I feel sick so that I can continue to "fast". Never heard this before, but was grateful.
But evem with that, I felt too weak to actually cook a post fast meal. Thank goodness I had enough in the fridge, and dd likes to bake!

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 8:11 am
sweetpotato wrote:
Am I the only one who isn't really making anything? My kids (all little) will be asleep (I hope) before the fast ends, so it's just me and DH. He just bought a loaf of rye bread and some avocados and I might make a tuna sandwich (and a milkshake). I'm nursing and a bad faster and I can't imagine having the strength to make a balebatish meal tonight, but I am really impressed and inspired by all of yours. Next year I'll have to cook ahead of time.

No!
That's how I am usually.
Yesterday I had energy to make a full "balebatish" meal, even more than on a regular night, that's why I start this post.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 8:17 am
pause wrote:
I do, but you don't have to. It gets really soft anyway.

Pause! Thank u so much!!
DH LOVED the soup!
He said he would pay money for it.
He even had doubles.
And it really did well for my confidence to serve a full meal:
Fish
Sesame noodles
Chunky vegetable soup.

The soup smelled and tasted amazing.
I tried making a vegetable soup once in the past, but it flopped big time.
Again, thanks so much!

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 8:18 am
simba wrote:
Why amother with such an innocent question? If you pm me your email address I'll send it to you. If you don tell I'll type it up tomorrow when im by a desktop. It is so good!

Lol because I'm op and I wrote things ppl who know me will know it's me Smile

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 8:21 am
Thanks everyone for your delicious ideas!
I'm usually in bed shaking and sick.
Yesterday I made a full meal (more than I make on a regular night and with more energy - I work f/t)
I even had energy to wash the dishes.
Why am I saying this?
Not to brag.
But to share if it can help anyone.
What did I do different?
I had an insane amt of watermelon before the fast. That's why I'm another because I keep saying this to everyone In person.
It really made a difference.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 9:50 am
Every year for 9 Av, I make a big meal for before the fast (usually ziti, chunky soup, fish) and serve the same food after. I don't make myself coom on the fast. If I happen to have energy and want to put togethwr something extra, fine. If someonw in my house wants something different, they can make it or grab it.

simba

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 10:03 am
This is for you Sienna. I skip the crust making and buy one in the freezer section and cook it for 10 minutes on 350 prior to filling. Then move straight to step number 5.

This recipe is from Ami's Whisk Magazine
Crust
1 tsp kosher salt
2 cups flour, plus a bit extra for surface
11 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
½ cup ice cold water

Filling
1 tablespoon Olive oil
1 shallot chopped
1 garlic clove chopped
8 oz B’gan frozen Brocolli, thawed and chopped
8 oz frozen spinach, thawed
4 oz Feta cheese
2 oz cheddar cheese grated
6 eggs
3 eeg yolks
1¾ cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
3 tbsp choppd chives
1 tsp kosher salt
Ground black pepper

1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Prepare the crust. In a large bowl, whisk together flour and salt. Using your fingers, work butter into the flour until the largest pieces are pea sized. Drizzle in ice cold water and toss to combine. Turn dough out onto a work surface and knead well. Flatten into a disk and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
3. Roll out dough onto a lightly floured surface to form a 14- inch circle. Transfer the dough into a 9-inch springform pan. Pat the dough into the corners and around the sides of the pan. Smooth out the dough so it doesn’t have creases. Freeze for 20 minutes, until firm.
4. Line the top if the dough with parchment paper and fill the pan with beans to weigh it down. Bake until the crust is golden brown all the way around, about 45 minutes. Remove the parchment paper and beans and let cool.
5. Prepare the filling. Reduce oven temp to 325. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and garlic and cook, stiring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add broccoli and cook tossing occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add spinach and cook 3 more minutes. Let cool and stir in Feta anc cheddar cheese.
6. In a bowl whisk together eggs, yolks, cream and milk just to combine. Add chives and season with salt and pepper. Add vegetable mixture to the baked crust and pour the egg mixture on top. Bake quiche until filling is set, about 1-11/2 hours. Let cool before unmolding and slicing. can be prepped 2-3 in advance and refrigerated.

pause

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 10:23 am
amother wrote:
Pause! Thank u so much!!
DH LOVED the soup!
He said he would pay money for it.
He even had doubles.
And it really did well for my confidence to serve a full meal:
Fish
Sesame noodles
Chunky vegetable soup.

The soup smelled and tasted amazing.
I tried making a vegetable soup once in the past, but it flopped big time.
Again, thanks so much!

My pleasure! I'm really glad it was such a success! Very Happy

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 5:28 pm
squirrel wrote:
Sure, its seriously the best veg soup out there. Im always giving out this recipe and you could never make enough. Freezes very well.

Soup base:
1 lg onion
1 c barley
2 pack split pea soup mix
3 cubes garlic
salt and pepper

Veg mix:
4-6 carrots
1 sweet potato
1 zucchini
1 parsnip optional

in 8 qt pot saute onion, add barley and peas and seasoning. Fill pot 2/3 with water and cook 11/2 hr. Grate veg mix and add to base for addl hr.

Enjoy!

Can I make this with plain split peas rather than the soup mix? (Don't think the soup mix is available in Israel).
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note