Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
If mashiach came...

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 3:42 pm
but "looked" differently then "you" how would you react? The famous poem about mashiach not being able to come because whatever he wore would be "wrong" got me thinking about it...

iammom

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 3:52 pm
I always pictured mashiach to be in a long flowing robe and beard, kind of how I picture the avos to look.
I guess I would be taken aback if he was dressed contemporarily in a hat, white shirt and suit.
I never thought about this. It's interesting!

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 3:54 pm
I would be overjoyed that mashiach is here. The end.

(I assume that anyone who would look down with disdain will not actually be zoche to greet mashiach.)

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 3:58 pm
iammom wrote:
I always pictured mashiach to be in a long flowing robe and beard, kind of how I picture the avos to look.
I guess I would be taken aback if he was dressed contemporarily in a hat, white shirt and suit.
I never thought about this. It's interesting!

But picking up on the OP, how would you feel if he were wearing jeans and a tee shirt. Or a cheongsam. Or a yakata. Or a kanzu.

What if he were black, or brown, or Asian?

iammom

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 3:58 pm
Oh, I certainly would be overjoyed when mashiach came!
It's just interesting how we have preconceived pictures in our head about it and sometimes don't think about how it could be different than we imagined.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 3:59 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
But picking up on the OP, how would you feel if he were wearing jeans and a tee shirt. Or a cheongsam. Or a yakata. Or a kanzu.

I would be surprised if he was wearing jeans. They are very informal. But honestly, I couldn't care less .

iammom

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 3:59 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

Definitely food for thought.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 4:58 pm
If mashiach came...
Oh well... If mashiach came...
Let him only come.
If he came, I'd be free from the heavy load in my head. Should I stay here in this marriage? He's not abusive. He's just not my speed. He's a good father, but doesn't bring money. He's nice but dysfunctional. He's calm but too calm. He's not a man. And I don't feel like being intimate with a child. And he's upset. And I'm scared to take the next move. I'm not prepared.
I think it's too late. I have too many children. And grown ones. It'll be so much work. So much shame. So much damage control.

Ugh! Just Let him come! Come Mashiach. Just come. Who cares if he has a straw hat or an Arabic Turban? Just come. Just come.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 5:20 pm
amother wrote:
If mashiach came...
Oh well... If mashiach came...
Let him only come.
If he came, I'd be free from the heavy load in my head. Should I stay here in this marriage? He's not abusive. He's just not my speed. He's a good father, but doesn't bring money. He's nice but dysfunctional. He's calm but too calm. He's not a man. And I don't feel like being intimate with a child. And he's upset. And I'm scared to take the next move. I'm not prepared.
I think it's too late. I have too many children. And grown ones. It'll be so much work. So much shame. So much damage control.

Ugh! Just Let him come! Come Mashiach. Just come. Who cares if he has a straw hat or an Arabic Turban? Just come. Just come.

Hugs, it sounds like you have a lot to deal with.
I don't know why you think mashiach will free you from making decisions about your marriage, though. Please, take the reins yourself and do whatever you need to do.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 5:24 pm
amother wrote:
Hugs, it sounds like you have a lot to deal with.
I don't know why you think mashiach will free you from making decisions about your marriage, though. Please, take the reins yourself and do whatever you need to do.

I believe he'll be smart enough to guide me. Haven't found such a fellow yet.

Optione

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 5:25 pm
Sometimes I wonder if moshiach will come through the form of a person that I wrongfully judged.
If that would be the case, I think I initially would be surprised, shocked, impressed, and potentially even embarrassed.
I would be so relieved that moshiach came despite my judging.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 5:26 pm
amother wrote:
I believe he'll be smart enough to guide me. Haven't found such a fellow yet.

I think he'll be busy leading the Jewish people. You need a competent professional here and now.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 5:29 pm
amother wrote:
I think he'll be busy leading the Jewish people. You need a competent professional here and now.

BTDT

miami85

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 7:37 pm
I think OPs point--and the point of that poem--is how would we know that he arrived? Among the many "legends" I've heard about the coming of Moshiach is not that he'd arrive with a lot of fanfare, but he is someone who will teach a lot of Torah and bring people together from the 4 corners of the world and it would be a slow steady process--among the reasons why Lubavitch thought their Rebbe z"l was Moshiach--but then he died, but that's another story. Obviously, in the end that when he comes we'll know when and why he comes (I.e. we say that Moshiach can't come on Shabbos, but in Ani Maamin we say "b'chol yom sheyavo). All we DO know is that we want him to come--the sooner, the better.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 2:24 am
Learn the Rambam on Moshiach. He may be someone you've already heard of or met.

mandksima

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 3:00 am
This made me have an unique thought - wouldn't it be something if Moshiach appeared to everyone differently but we all simultaneously recognized him? He would davka look exactly how you wouldn't expect him to (the opposite way of your perfect look) and our job with ahavat yisrael of accepting everyone would be to accept him with love 100% regardless of his appearance!

One commentary I read regarding not seeing things that will be there is when the beit hamikdash comes down from shamayim, only the Jews will be zocheh to see it and the Arabs will be angry that their mosque was destroyed but they won't see the new structure like we will and they will come to fight against us and moshiach. Food for thought. If Hashem can make that happen, moshiach can also appear differently to each person.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 5:15 am
amother wrote:

So if not him, in some other way we'll see the kiyum of "v'nas yagon va'anacha."
But I totally agree to try to find some relief and direction now. Big, big hugs!

ETA: I just saw the BTDT. Bigger hugs. I don't know if it will be helpful to dissect what you've done, and if there are different options.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 6:21 am
PinkFridge wrote:
So if not him, in some other way we'll see the kiyum of "v'nas yagon va'anacha."
But I totally agree to try to find some relief and direction now. Big, big hugs!

ETA: I just saw the BTDT. Bigger hugs. I don't know if it will be helpful to dissect what you've done, and if there are different options.

Thanks.
Leading Jewish people is not only about telling them how to kasher a kitchen for Passover. It's not about telling them which parsha to read in the Torah. We have people like that already.
We need Mashiach for much more urgent and intense subjects. We need him to solve our real issues. We need him to tell us things we cannot find in the SA.
Part of leading the Jewish people is leading people like me. We have enough rabbis here and now that don't understand situations like my own. They live on an airplane, without seeing or understanding what goes on with amchu, in reality...

Mashiach will train the rabbis how to listen and how to guide.

leah233

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 10:20 am
SixOfWands wrote:

Very surprised.

But for a stasticall reason not an ideological one. In which community do the Talmedey Chacomim come to shul dressed that way? How many Talmedey Chacomim are there who are black, or brown, or Asian? Therefore what is the likelihood of Mosiach looking that way?

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 11:02 am
Iymnok wrote:
Learn the Rambam on Moshiach. He may be someone you've already heard of or met.

Can you or someone else explain this? I read up on the Rambam on moshiach yesterday and still don't understand what you're saying.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note