Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
The most amazing piece of Torah I've seen for a while!

MitzadSheini

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 6:59 pm
https://www.alephbeta.org/cour.....oplay

I've only just discovered this website. It's Rabbi David Forhman. The thing I've linked to is for 9 Av, though I felt it was almost too amazing to learn n the actual day (I waited til after 9av to watch the 3rd & subsequent videos).

I think you'll like it if any of these apply

You enjoy learning Torah
You have a difficult family member that you think is being unreasonable
You struggle with infertility
You struggle with sensing your purpose
You enjoy seeing how different pedagogical methods can be used to teach people with different learning styles
Your name is Rachel and you like learning about your biblical namesake

animeme

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 8:58 pm
Big fan of Rabbi Fohrman.

People should know that you get a certain amount of free viewing time per month (I don't remember how much- maybe about two videos worth?) and then you have to pay. This can be frustrating of you don't plan to pay and are watching a multi-video series. I personally think it's worth membership.

Some of his videos cam be found on Aish.com and YouTube.

MitzadSheini

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 9:41 pm
Thanks I didn't know that, I've only just discovered him

agreer

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 9:55 pm
OMG I just clicked on this link to see if it was about R' Fohrman...and it is! I also watched the first two videos of Rachel and it was fascinating! I am so sad I can't watch the whole series for free.

I'm watching his Tisha B'av series on Aish right now... He is amazing! I love his style.

I discovered him last night!

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 10:09 pm
MitzadSheini wrote:
Thanks I didn't know that, I've only just discovered him

Did you get to read all 5?
I'm halfway through number the 2nd and I cant read further.
Also, why do they call it videos? It's a transcript.

MitzadSheini

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 10:48 pm
There is also a video. The video is done really well. But I didn't realise I was advertising something you had to pay for. Because I saw the first 2 on Aish.com, I got to see 3&4, but not 5. Unless we pay. Maybe we should. Kinda worth a spinoff. I mean there are literally 100s of 1000s of free shiurim online. Is that fair? Should people be allowed to charge? Should we pay for them/?

daagahminayin

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 12:17 am
I also wondered if you were talking about what I had watched today - and you were!

agreer

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 12:35 am
MitzadSheini wrote:
There is also a video. The video is done really well. But I didn't realise I was advertising something you had to pay for. Because I saw the first 2 on Aish.com, I got to see 3&4, but not 5. Unless we pay. Maybe we should. Kinda worth a spinoff. I mean there are literally 100s of 1000s of free shiurim online. Is that fair? Should people be allowed to charge? Should we pay for them/?

People should be allowed to charge - why not? This is America (for now, at least)...

We have a choice whether we want to pay or not.

On one hand, there's no doubt that he puts in A LOT of effort into these videos, and so why shouldn't he be compensated?

On the other hand, as you said, there are thousands of free shiurim, so I'm going to stick with free for now. While I appreciate his work and think he's a genius, I guess I don't value his work enough to pay. I do have free shiurim right now, so I'll stick with those (I do try to make a yearly donation).

mandksima

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 6:07 am
I also watched the first two videos with fascination and then went back to the free videos. I have thousands to watch and new ones being loaded every day. It's too bad they charge. It is a turnoff. I don't mind paying for a shiur that I go to but if I don't have to spend the money, I'll chose not to.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 8:10 am
That's why I hang out on torahanytime.com . Lots of great free shiurim. A great archive too.

MitzadSheini

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 8:37 am
I'm quite torn on this question. On the one hand, there is so much Torah available online for free- why would I chose to pay forit? On the other hand, this was exceptional, why shouldn't he (and others, TBH honest) be paid for their work? On yet another hand, in the "olden" days, wasn't there an idea that people had a JOB as hishtadus as parnassa , and then Torah kind of happened for free? But on ANOTHER hand, there is the famous R Akiva story of him lying on the roof in the snow because he couldn't afford to pay to get into the Bet Midrash (meaning that it WASN'T free)......or maybe it was ok to get the TORAH for free, but not the nice warm room?

I don't know what is the truth.

So I really don't know where I sit on this question.

But it was a FANTASTIC shiur.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 8:50 am
YY Jacobson also has profound shiurim on theyeshiva.net.
Till now, everything was free. Now I see they started asking for money to watch download certain videos. I understand it. How should they be able to keep up a website (think; a warm room) without being paid minimally?
Of course this is what they have to do.
Rabbi Nivin used to give fantastic shiurim for free before every Jewish holiday. Recently he started asking for 10 dollars. It's a minimal fee. I don't think he's obligated to give me a speech for free.
I understand the need to charge.

But I, am going to continue hearing only the free ones. embarrassed

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 3:23 pm
I have a friend who works for aleph beta. They do so many fantastic things, and the reason they have such good stuff is because they have a staff to run things. I'm not saying you have to pay, but knowing the people behind it changed my perspective, because this is their livelihood. I get paid for my job and they should get paid for theirs.

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 9:46 pm
I would pay if I liked them, but the video thing just doesn't do it for me. I wish he still put out regular audio shiurim because I LOVED those and would definitely pay (within reason) to subscribe to them. I find the videos really annoying, though. I even contacted the website support to ask if they had an audio-only version (particularly without the video background music and sound effects which drove me crazy the most) and they said they don't Sad
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational