Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Job ideas?

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 7:38 pm
We're planning on making Aliyah. However, one of the biggest issues are our careers and how exactly we'll be able to find jobs in Israel. We both have degrees from college, but not great ones. So my husband has a BA in Spanish Literature and I have a BA in Nutrition. My husband is a music teacher in a charter school, but isn't certified. They love him there and has great experience, but doesn't have a certificate in education so of course every place they look at that, I'm sure even in Israel. I worked in a hospital as a dietitian assistant, I have the degree, but I'm not a registered dietitian. So we're both in a not so good position. How will we survive in Israel? what kind of jobs should we look for? I speak hebrew and english. My husband is fluent in english and spanish. Any ideas?

Also, what's a reasonable salary for one (or two parents) for a family of 5 living in Israel? We're not planning on living in Jerusalem and buy expensive things, but we need some sort of good income to pay for bills etc.

mame1

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 9:45 pm
My suggestion is that you get both of yourselves back in school and get second degrees --at least one more degree under your belts--and as many certifications as you can because Israelis LOVE degrees, especially from American universities.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 9:56 pm
mame1 wrote:
My suggestion is that you get both of yourselves back in school and get second degrees --at least one more degree under your belts--and as many certifications as you can because Israelis LOVE degrees, especially from American universities.

My husband is thinking about going for education degree, but that would take him more than 4 years because he works full time. Also, not sure how much we'd have to pay and we're really tight with money right now paying for kids' tuition. So we're not doing very well in the US... we were thinking of starting fresh in Israel, but maybe that's a bad idea....?

mame1

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 9:59 pm
amother wrote:
My husband is thinking about going for education degree, but that would take him more than 4 years because he works full time. Also, not sure how much we'd have to pay and we're really tight with money right now paying for kids' tuition. So we're not doing very well in the US... we were thinking of starting fresh in Israel, but maybe that's a bad idea....?

If you're struggling in the US to make ends meet, going to Israel is not a solution to your problem. I wouldn't make the move until he finishes his degree or you get another degree. I think there are a lot of grants and scholarships available for married women with children going back to school. Under good circumstances, it's a hard life in Israel. Talk to your aliyah advisor.

Karnash

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 10:17 pm
Talk to Nefesh B'Nefesh. I think Misrad HaChinuch has a "hasava" program where olim with BA's can take a one or two year course (depending on how many days a week you study) and become licensed to teach English. There is a shortage of English teachers outside the center of the country and you might be able to get a job even while studying.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 10:27 pm
Find out what specifically you need to do to be able to work as a nutritionist in the kuppot (health clinics). It is in demand, so I'd encourage you to look into that before retraining for a different profession.

If your husband enjoys education enough that he'll overcome the discipline and bureaucracy challenges of teaching in Israel, then getting a degree in education is a good idea. If not, it's a good idea to explore other options.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 1:10 am
You can come and open a healthy eating, English speaking daycare in or round jlem or Tel Aviv. Your dh can do a course to go into schools and ganim to do music chug or do privately. You'll be financially comfortable.

ora_43

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 2:58 am
Would you be coming with savings?

One idea - during the first year your husband works part-time tutoring in English, Spanish, music, whatever he can get, and at the same time works toward a degree in education. Since he has a first degree, a teaching certificate should take just 1-2 years, ask Nefesh b'Nefesh.

It sounds like dietitian would be a good job for you but I'm not sure what qualifications you'd need. Try asking Nefesh b'Nefesh and/or on the ImaKadima facebook group.

Re: money and jobs in general - part of the question is where you're going to live. If you live in a more "out of the way" area, housing should be cheaper (but still too expensive Crying ), and you'll probably find a lot more demand for English teachers and just English stuff in general (editing, translating, tutoring, etc). But on the other hand, the job options are more limited (eg not much hi-tech outside Tel Aviv), and there are very few English speakers which might make for a harder social/cultural transition.

re: salaries, depends on lifestyle. Do you need/want a car? after-school activities for kids like karate, etc? are you planning to send your kids to private school or public school? are your kids in school, preschool, daycare...?

Without knowing more I'd say 12,000 would probably be an OK income. If just one of you could earn that it'd be a good income; if you'd both be working full-time to earn that and your kids are young, though, it probably wouldn't be enough once you factor in daycare and you'd need more like 15,000.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 4:30 am
OP here

It makes sense to get a second degree here before going to Israel. I do know that the requirements to be a dietitian in Israel is same like over here. I need to take the one year unpaid internship (very competitive, tried it once and didn't get in so just started working in a hospital) and then take the exam.

I feel so lost and don't know what to do. I feel very depressed. It's so much harder with kids. I feel if I could go back in time, I'd definitely get a second degree in something else or try to become registered dietitian again. It's VERY hard for us because we're paying for two kids in a jewish school (my parents are helping a little bit), we're still living under my parents apartment (we pay maintenance and bills) and we still can't seem to make it through and move. Of course part of it is because I'm a stay at home mom and I'm about to change that...I have been looking for jobs for awhile and no luck. I have family in Israel so of course Israel is something we've been thinking about, but now I'm not sure if it's a good idea without good careers. Oh yea, and we don't have any savings!

DrMom

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 4:34 am
If you have family in Israel, enlist them in your job search efforts! Start networking.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 12:20 pm
DrMom wrote:
If you have family in Israel, enlist them in your job search efforts! Start networking.

My parents are retired over there, I have one sister over there. I did ask her about job ideas, I guess she's too busy with her work. I don't really know anyone else besides my family over there. I know my dad would help us out especially finding an apartment, but when it comes to jobs, we'll have to figure it out on our own.

I just feel kinda discouraged now. I was getting a little bit excited thinking about starting a fresh new chapter and just move to Israel. I know some would think it's crazy since we don't really have savings and great careers to move to Israel. But I do hear about those people that have great careers in the US and make aliyah and work in something totally different. I don't mind working in something a little different. Right now, I just want to see if it would be possible for us to get a job that would pay bills and food for a family of 5.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions