Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Accepted payroll
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 2:46 pm
I would like to know the standard what working women out there are getting paid... secretarial office job. working 4 years, married with baby. and paying for a babysitter.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 2:50 pm
amother wrote:
married with baby. and paying for a babysitter.

This here has nothing to do with anything.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 2:52 pm
amother wrote:
This here has nothing to do with anything.

Sure does. A lot of offices out there raise you after married, have baby... Want to know the norm to get paid.

qwerty4

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 2:55 pm
In my place standard would probably be about 700-750 plus babysitting

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 2:55 pm
amother wrote:
Sure does. A lot of offices out there raise you after married, have baby... Want to know the norm to get paid.

Which is a discriminatory practice. If I worked someplace and found a coworker got a raise simply because they got married or had a child, and not on the basis of merit I'd raise holy hell and probably find a good labor lawyer.

Your value as an employee isn't raised simply because you had a child or got married.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 2:58 pm
qwerty4 wrote:
In my place standard would probably be about 700-750 plus babysitting

Thank you. I appreciate your precise answer and not like the other posts which were uncalled for.

watergirl

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 2:58 pm
amother wrote:

Sigh. You have to be more specific then. But know that what you are saying is actually discriminatory, and the person paying on such a scale is wide open to a lawsuit if caught.

What you really need to ask, is location based. And say that you are asking about a shady, frum office. And specify location. From this type of thread, we see that this discriminatory practice tends to differ all over the frum world.

Do you want to be paid for your worth, or status in the frum world? Why would my boss pay me more at the age of 24 just because I wear a ring and a head covering and have reproduced then say, a woman the same age or older who has worked in the office for longer, has proved herself or himself as a good employee, and has more experience?

watergirl

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 3:00 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Which is a discriminatory practice. If I worked someplace and found a coworker got a raise simply because they got married or had a child, and not on the basis of merit I'd raise holy hell and probably find a good labor lawyer.

Your value as an employee isn't raised simply because you had a child or got married.

jinx. we cross posted. When will these threads end? Since when is it my boss's problem that I had another baby? And since when does that make me a more valuable employee than the other women in my office? If that happened to me, I'd be livid.

ETA that OP's first post didn't even list the credentials of her work skill. Just a summary of her life experience. And the reply that seemed to satisfy her was as unclear as her post - is she asking weekly? biweekly? monthly?

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 3:04 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you. I appreciate your precise answer and not like the other posts which were uncalled for.

Don't be concerned about the hugger, it was me. In the 21st century where women are still fighting for equal pay your dismissive attitude leaves something to be desired. Some of us who are a bit older than you and who have decades more life and work experience don't agree with your attitude. I think it's important that we raise issues of pay equity every chance we get, and this was a very opportune moment.

FWIW I never hug, nor do I vote up anonymous posts, in your case I made an exception

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 3:15 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Don't be concerned about the hugger, it was me. In the 21st century where women are still fighting for equal pay your dismissive attitude leaves something to be desired. Some of us who are a bit older than you and who have decades more life and work experience don't agree with your attitude. I think it's important that we raise issues of pay equity every chance we get, and this was a very opportune moment.

FWIW I never hug, nor do I vote up anonymous posts, in your case I made an exception

Your'e funny

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 3:24 pm
amother wrote:
Your'e funny

Yea the issue of pay equity is hilarious. Rolling Eyes

qwerty4

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 3:29 pm
I posted the salary above as standard in my office, though I earn significantly more than that and am neither married (at this point) nor have a baby. So experience and quality of work is still rewarded over other factors, but it is true that workers take the opportunity to ask for a raise in salary when they celebrate those milestones, hence the difference it would make. Additionally, babysitting is an expense directly incurred by working after a baby, so some employers offer to pay for it if it is in their best interests that the employee keep her job.

out-of-towner

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 3:37 pm
The point that people are trying to make is that having children and paying a babysitter have nothing to do with the amount that an employer is going to offer. YOU have to decide whether that pay level is worth it for you to work.

That said, I believe that in my husbands company, starting salary is around $15 an hour. This is not secretarial stuff, but doesn't require any special training to work. NY area.

qwerty4

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 3:40 pm
Of course not, in reference to a new employer. Having children is rather a liability to an employer than an asset. However, when trying to figure out if she's earning the standard amount in a longtime position (which I'm assuming is what OP is trying to do) those are sometimes factors to go by. More due to the fact that, again, employees use the opportunity to discuss a salary raise, than anything else.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 3:50 pm
qwerty4 wrote:
I posted the salary above as standard in my office, though I earn significantly more than that and am neither married (at this point) nor have a baby. So experience and quality of work is still rewarded over other factors, but It is true that workers take the opportunity to ask for a raise in salary when they celebrate those milestones, hence the difference it would make. Additionally, babysitting is an expense directly incurred by working after a baby, so some employers offer to pay for it if it is in their best interests that the employee keep her job.

In all my years of managing employees in the private sector (Los Angeles) I've never had an employee ask for a raise simply because they had a child. In the businesses without a written pay trajectory and policy folks would typically ask for increases based on value added. In those with written policy employees would be informed of future performance reviews and would address it as part of their own self evaluation. Of course in the public sector it is a bit different.

I do think that if someone had come to me for a raise simply because of a childs birth I would have told them that they would have to wait and address it as part of their annual performance review. Legally I could not base a pay increase on a childs birth.

A benefit, such a child care supplement, would have to be offered across the board to all employees for it to be legal. Some companies offer childcare savings accounts as an employee benefit or get reduced rates at places like Kindercare for their employees. But again these are offered as benefits to all employees.

qwerty4

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 3:57 pm
Babysitting money is offered across the board usually, if at all. I was describing more of an informal setting where raises are asked for whenever one feels they deserve it, and in an informal matter. This is not to say that salary depends on the marital status, as mentioned in my post. And I ask for a raise when I feel my work warrants it.
The idea of granting a raise (usually not a very significant one if the marriage or birth is the only factor involved) at these times might be viewed as a sort of baby/wedding gift.
That said, most employers I know do not raise the salary by a birth, yet accommodate a cut in hours and might not cut the base salary. Others offer babysitting money too. It is pretty individual to each employer, as well as if they value the experience or work enough to warrant the additional expense.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 4:11 pm
amother wrote:

So someone who works at your office for 6 years should make less than u because they don't have a baby?!

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 4:18 pm
qwerty4 wrote:
Babysitting money is offered across the board usually, if at all. I was describing more of an informal setting where raises are asked for whenever one feels they deserve it, and in an informal matter. This is not to say that salary depends on the marital status, as mentioned in my post. And I ask for a raise when I feel my work warrants it.
The idea of granting a raise (usually not a very significant one if the marriage or birth is the only factor involved) at these times might be viewed as a sort of baby/wedding gift.
That said, most employers I know do not raise the salary by a birth, yet accommodate a cut in hours and might not cut the base salary. Others offer babysitting money too. It is pretty individual to each employer, as well as if they value the experience or work enough to warrant the additional expense.

Thanks Qwerty, when I was pregnant with my DD I worked for a small company with 10 people. At the time we didn't have health ins and the bosses had wanted to give it to me as a baby gift. They realized it would have been discriminatory so the crunched some numbers and gave us all ins. These men were menches. The not so funny thing was it didn't cover my maternity since I was already pregnant (preexisting condition) but my emergency C section was a qualifier and almost all of the surgery and costs were covered by the plan.

zaq

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 4:29 pm
Look at it this way: Would you pay your cleaning lady more because she got married or had a baby? Given two applicants for the job of cleaning lady, both of equal ability and experience, one married with children and one single, would you pay the married one more just because she's married with children? How about if the married one was nineteen and the single one was fifty? And if you did pay the married one more, would you consider this normal procedure or would you be doing this as a quasi-chessed?

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 4:33 pm
zaq wrote:
quasi-chessed?

That's my take on this. Quasi-chessed, quasi-communism
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics