Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Accepted payroll
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

watergirl

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 11:49 am
keym wrote:
Op if you want a real answer youre going to have to be more specific.
Where are you working? Tristate? Oot?
How many hours are you working a week?
What kind of job? Real estate secretary?Dr? School? (Schools tend to pay less but even office staff is off yt, erev yt, chol hamoeid so you dont have to use your vacation days)
How pressurizing is the environment?
What benefits are you offered? Insurance? 401k? Additional pd vacation days? If in a school, eventual tuition breaks? Paid under the table? ( not endorsing it just putting it out there as a potential benefit?
How much flexibility does your job leave you? Can you work at home? Bring your kids to work some days? Easily take off for a dr appt or school play?
Does your office help with training (help pay for a course to increase your skill set)? Is there a raise schedule? Evaluations? Room for growth?

Its not just a simple answer I work in an office and make $1000. You need to give the whole picture to see if your getting paid what youre worth or if its time to move on.

$1000/a week or month or every 2 weeks? Benefits? Legal? Your answer really isn't specific enough to help OP. Are you in a frum office, under the table, and is your pay based on your qualifications and skills and time put in, or based on the ring on your finger and the number of children youve birthed?

keym

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 11:55 am
watergirl wrote:
$1000/a week or month or every 2 weeks? Benefits? Legal? Your answer really isn't specific enough to help OP. Are you in a frum office, under the table, and is your pay based on your qualifications and skills and time put in, or based on the ring on your finger and the number of children youve birthed?

Exactly my point but my phone was playing games with punctuation. Someone responding $1000 doesnt answer the question at all. There are hundreds of aspects if you read my post that contribut to whether your job works for you or not.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 2:11 pm
I work 5 years in my place secretary management office and im married and have one baby. I get paid $23 a hour

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 2:51 pm
amother wrote:
I work 5 years in my place secretary management office and im married and have one baby. I get paid $23 a hour

Thats very nice actually... I get $20 an hour. Married and 1 baby.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 2:55 pm
amother wrote:
Thats very nice actually... I get $20 an hour. Married and 1 baby.

glad to hear that btw. how long do u work at your place?

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 3:00 pm
amother wrote:

I work full time if it makes a diff

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 3:15 pm
This topic nauseates me. Why should I, an underqualified married woman with two children, make more than my single sister, a capable, talented, driven employee who puts in a lot of unpaid overtime (and her married coworkers don't put in any overtime!)??? That's just wrong. It bothers me to know end.
Btw this is one of many issues in the frum workplace. How about "seeking female employee" or "seeking male employee in all male work environment"? Isn't that discrimination of the highest order?

watergirl

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 3:19 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
This topic nauseates me. Why should I, an underqualified married woman with two children, make more than my single sister, a capable, talented, driven employee who puts in a lot of unpaid overtime (and her married coworkers don't put in any overtime!)??? That's just wrong. It bothers me to know end.
Btw this is one of many issues in the frum workplace. How about "seeking female employee" or "seeking male employee in all male work environment"? Isn't that discrimination of the highest order?

Exactly. All you need to do to bait them is have a discrimination attorney give them a call. Its so wrong. And above, where they actually have a level of importance of who gets paid first if they can't make full payroll… A divorced woman with children is deemed it less important than a woman who is supporting her husband in learning? I can't understand that! The diamond ring is the most important thing here clearly. As opposed to, I don't know, pay people what they're worth.

qwerty4

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 3:22 pm
allthingsblue wrote:

Your sister should not be putting in unpaid overtime or accepting a lesser wage. Do employers actually refuse a raise saying 'you're not married'? I doubt it. If she asks and gets the appropriate raises for her qualifications and experience and appreciation for the work she's producing, this shouldn't be the case.
I think it boils down to a matter of when an employee asks for a raise, in places where it's not offered on an official schedule.

qwerty4

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 3:24 pm
Aside from the raises I got, generally on an annual basis, I did take the opportunity to discuss my salary before I got married. However, the conversation mainly revolved around my performance and how I deserve to be compensated accordingly, and I was. The amount of the raise directly reflected the quality of my work, not my marital status.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 3:25 pm
qwerty4 wrote:
Your sister should not be putting in unpaid overtime or accepting a lesser wage. Do employers actually refuse a raise saying 'you're not married'? I doubt it. If she asks and gets the appropriate raises for her qualifications and experience and appreciation for the work she's producing, this shouldn't be the case.
I think it boils down to a matter of when an employee asks for a raise, in places where it's not offered on an official schedule.

My sister is salaried, so she doesn't get overtime unless something or other- I don't know the specifics, but it's a legal reason.
And my post was hypothetical. Luckily her employer recognizes her value and compensates her accordingly, but the whole idea of someone getting more "just because I'm married and have a kid" disgusts me. I know I'm not a more valuable employee just because I'm married with kids!

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 3:28 pm
allthingsblue wrote:

Baruch hashem klal yisroel are compassionate and consider the needs of a young married woman with children. Some employers in our community have rachmanis on these woman and try to help them. You're complaining about it. I'h when your sister gets married and expenses come up, hopefully she will have an employer who gives her raises and bonuses even when she doesn't necessarily deserve it, but simply because she could use the help.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 3:29 pm
amother wrote:

Its my 4th year.. also full time. 7 hours a day Mon-Thurs. and Friday 9-1

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 3:30 pm
Communism/Chesed.

Its a parallel system.

I think those of us not in it, best ignore it.

LittleDucky

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 3:30 pm
This drives me crazy. I hate it when people aren't given a fair shot at earning the same wages or even being hired! I have a friend who was working at a school while single. She NEEDED the money- she was helping support her family as well as pay for all her needs now (and she wished she could save for the future which was impossible...).
She wasn't paid for months because why would she need the money as a "single girl"? Never mind that they almost were evicted, couldn't afford what everyone else considered basics...
Not sure if she ever was paid in full.
Why not pay everyone a percentage of what they are owed if you can't pay everyone in full (but why isn't their a budget in place? Salaries are known from the start!!!)? Yeah, everyone is left with a need but at least everyone has something to subsist on.

And hiring practices? They are just waiting for a lawsuit. Someone dressing fine at an interview (so dress code is just assumed and never spoken out loud) and first day showing up in something "unacceptable". Or someone asking for males only.

I know someone else who was told they were only going to hire a male... If you advertise a job, you have to follow the law! Or to be told outright you aren't going to be hired because they want men only. Gender discrimination is so basic it boggles my mind...

qwerty4

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 3:32 pm
Schools are a total different breed. I agree.

mha3484

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 3:32 pm
I want a raise because I did a good job. I would feel like such a charity case if I got a raise because of my marital status or family size. It happens to be that I got a significant raise before my third child was born because I proved my value to my employer. He was very nervous that someone with small kids would not be a stable employee but I proved him wrong over and over again.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 3:33 pm
amother wrote:
Baruch hashem klal yisroel are compassionate and consider the needs of a young married woman with children. Some employers in our community have rachmanis on these woman and try to help them. You're complaining about it. I'h when your sister gets married and expenses come up, hopefully she will have an employer who gives her raises and bonuses even when she doesn't necessarily deserve it, but simply because she could use the help.

Whereas the 21yo single employee loses out trying to save for a financially stable home and possibly afford to further her education and career.
Work is not a chessed organization.

LittleDucky

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 3:36 pm
amother wrote:

But this is illegal. We don't want a boss not paying us on time because we are Jewish. Or not hiring our husband because he wears a Yamukah. Or firing us when we have children (teachers in the past couldn't be married). Or what about the signs in the past: no Jews or dogs allowed? I could go on about how anti discrimination laws have helped us.

We like the law when it suits us. So don't violate it when it doesn't meet our whims. We can't have it both ways.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 3:37 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Whereas the 21yo single employee loses out trying to save for a financially stable home and possibly afford to further her education and career.
Work is not a chessed organization.

THIS!
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics