Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Would you buy/wear second hand clothes
1  2  Next

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 3:53 pm
I don't mean in a snobby way as in "I can afford to buy new clothes", as some second hand clothes are expensive pieces such as vintage.
I mean more in the sense of would it bother you that they have been worn before by someone?

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 3:54 pm
I've bought vintage. Doesn't bother me.

Maya

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 3:55 pm
No, it doesn't bother me. I've bought vintage pieces at consignment shops and estate sales. As long as it's clean and smells fresh, it's okay for me.

rainbow dash

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 3:57 pm
yep, I have no problem buying second hand clothes. Give it a wash first if it bothers you?

Iymnok

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 4:00 pm
Of course! I love it, everything you get is a metzia. Going through dated and not tznius stuff makes every normal thing a treasure. For, like, $1.50.
Obviously wash it before you use it and no intimate items.
I'm talking Goidwill and Value Village types.

finprof

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 4:03 pm
We do all the time! Ann Taylor dress for $10, Talbots skirt for $5! Why not? Wash first but we do that with new clothes too.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 4:06 pm
So long as it's outerwear type stuff- skirts, shirts, dresses and jackets. I would wash it before I wear it. I haven't been to second hand stores but They don't have tzniyus clothes where I live. But friends pass down clothes all the time to each other! I have given some and taken some!

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 4:13 pm
finprof wrote:
We do all the time! Ann Taylor dress for $10, Talbots skirt for $5! Why not? Wash first but we do that with new clothes too.

I've scored Eileen Fisher skirts in perfect condition for under $30. Why wouldn't I buy them? I wash or clean them, and that's that.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 4:14 pm
amother wrote:
I don't mean in a snobby way as in "I can afford to buy new clothes", as some second hand clothes are expensive pieces such as vintage.
I mean more in the sense of would it bother you that they have been worn before by someone?

Most of what I wear is second hand, but only from friends. Actually, mostly from people giving clothing away....

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 4:24 pm
I've scored some amazing finds in poshmark both for me and my kids. Also sold lots of stuff. I coukd never buy lingerie and stuff like that but accessories, bags, jackets, dresses... why not?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 4:28 pm
Funny....a year ago I bought my wig second-hand. I desperately needed to replace my dead mop, and was thinking of going for a cheaper wig....but then found mine - a higher-end wig in my color that just didn't work out for the original buyer - sold to me for the price of a cheaper wig. My sheitel macher checked it out for me and told me it was a steal!

So someone asked me - but how do you feel wearing a wig that someone else wore (the seller told me she wore it maybe five times....it was in new condition.)

Didn't bother me a bit. I had it washed and recut by my stylist, and have been enjoying it ever since!

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 4:29 pm
I live in an area where there are people with more money than sense. Local thrifts here are filled with high quality clothing reasonably priced. I'm not talking about polyester masterpieces from Dress Barn, but good quality natural fibers, wool, silk, cashmere, linens and cottons. I purchase very few items new. Last winter I purchased 8 cashmere sweaters in mint condition, mostly Pringles, I didn't spend $30 for the lot of them.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 4:35 pm
I guess I'm going to be the odd man out. I would never buy or wear second hand clothes. I do share maternity wear with my sister.

BadTichelDay

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 4:55 pm
I do wear second hand clothes and I also get them for my kids - they grow so fast, hardly worth buying new. Of course I wash things 1-2 times first. We live in Israel and used to have a good second hand store nearby. Unfortunately, it has closed down recently. What I actually like about second hand clothes is that the smelly chemicals which are always in new clothes have already been washed out by the previous owner.

agreer

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 4:59 pm
I guess I'm the disagreer this time.

It would bother me.

But I also don't share germs with friends.

I just can't get over the fact that someone else wore it... I know, I know, people try on clothing in the dressing room all the time before me... but no, I can't do vintage... But it's my loss! I see nothing wrong with it, I just can't do it.

zaq

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 4:59 pm
Vintage is just secondhand giving itself airs, like used furniture calling itself antique or folks named Levine styling themselves LaVine. I buy secondhand clothes all the time and I love it. Ok sometimes the thrift shop even has new stuff with tags which is an even bigger thrill but that's rare. I would say 90% of my everyday clothes are from thrift shops, and it's that low only because I still have some stuff I bought new in the old days before Goodwill came to a store near me.

zaq

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 5:04 pm
What I won't do secondhand whether from a thrift shop or from a friend or relative: intimate apparel, sleepwear, footwear, anything that can't be washed or dry cleaned.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 5:07 pm
zaq wrote:
What I won't do secondhand whether from a thrift shop or from a friend or relative: intimate apparel, sleepwear, footwear, anything that can't be washed or dry cleaned.

This. But with the exception of fur outerwear Twisted Evil since I couldn't afford it otherwise. In good condition without smell.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 5:15 pm
The goodwill in my neighborhood is fabulous and I've bought amazing things. I absolutely wear secondhand clothes

HeartyAppetite

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 6:17 pm
I wouldn't buy it from a thrift shop if I don't know who wore it. If it's secondhand from a friend or sister I would.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics