Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Do you tip your kids' counselors?
Previous  1  2

Do you tip your kids' counselors?
Yes - I am Yeshivish  
 27%  [ 59 ]
Yes - I am Modern Yeshivish  
 11%  [ 24 ]
Yes - I am Modern Orthodox  
 10%  [ 23 ]
Yes - I am Chassidish  
 32%  [ 70 ]
No - I am Yeshivish  
 6%  [ 13 ]
No - I am Modern Yeshivish  
 3%  [ 7 ]
No - I am Modern Orthodox  
 4%  [ 9 ]
No - I am Chassidish  
 4%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 214

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 12:17 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Don't. Just don't.

My 16 year old, who has watched your child for 10 hours a day, over the course of 7 weeks, made things fun for her, mediated her petty disputes, helped her into her bathing suit and helped her find her shoes, all for the royal sum of $100 a week, doesn't want your kugel. She's going to throw it in the trash, and if she doesn't I will. I don't know what you put in it. I don't know if you even really keep kosher. And even if was delicious at some point, its not after the 12 hours that it sat out.

If your camp recommends tips, and you're too cheap to give a tip, then don't try to assuage your guilt by giving my kid trash.

She asked about tipping the owner and only staff at the camp.

princessleah

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 12:36 pm
My kids go to an MO camp with a strict no-tipping policy. They believe that it leads to counselors (even subconsciously) being nicer to kids from "richer" families to angle for big tips. Also there are specialty staff (lifeguards, swim counselors, art, music, etc) who would not get tipped like the bunk counselors.
They say if you want to recognize a counselor you can make a donation to the camp organization or zedaka in honor of the counselor.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 12:52 pm
princessleah wrote:
My kids go to an MO camp with a strict no-tipping policy. They believe that it leads to counselors (even subconsciously) being nicer to kids from "richer" families to angle for big tips. Also there are specialty staff (lifeguards, swim counselors, art, music, etc) who would not get tipped like the bunk counselors.
They say if you want to recognize a counselor you can make a donation to the camp organization or zedaka in honor of the counselor.

I feel similarly. There is pay equity in camp. All first year counsellors are given the same salary.. etc. etc. in my mind it 'ruins' things when the staff are working for tips - which is beyond their control...

I someone appreciate the argument that tipping allows camps to be cheaper for parents..but I personally don't like the cultural trade-off.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 1:05 pm
amother wrote:
Not true it has to do with the bunk. My mother works in a day camp that has two types of crowds within the day camp and she knows that when she gets a certain crowd she will expect very little tips.

I worked in Chasidish and non chasidish schools and the meshloach monos from the chasidish schools as far better. But it doesn't mean that parents don't expect more from you either. (Like being very into their child attention etc.)

Perhaps the non chasidish parents expect you to do the job you are paid for.

I've learned only from imamother that chasiddim use mishloach manos for something other than fulfilling a purim mitzvah. It was totally foreign to me. Also foreign to me - tipping professionals (which includes teachers).

so since these things are no longer foreign to me - I"m more careful that when I walk into a different culture, I'll shift my behaviour so that I"m not deemed to be rude. I'll say without imamother, I was just ignorant of the expectations.

BrachaBatya

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 11:26 pm
MO here. Yes, I tip and generously at that. To me, it's the mentschlich thing to do. It's part of the overall expense of sending your children to camp.

Maya

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 11:31 pm
princessleah wrote:

Our camp has a tipping schedule with suggested amounts, and I doubt that parents give more than is asked for. There are also tipping suggestions for the lifeguards and other specialty staff.

Seriously

Post Mon, Aug 14 2017, 12:18 am
I don't...
When I was a counselor at this exact camp, the director said its not fair to ask parents to pay extra at the end of camp. I (immaturely) begged her just to include a suggestion to tip in the camp newsletter.
Nope it wasn't nice to the parents

Fast forward a bunch of years, she now puts in the newsletter tip suggestion amounts for each counselor, almost as an expectation

Like "drama counselor 15 dollars, one half for main counselor 15, both halves 25....."

Turned me off...

Shoshana37

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 2:24 pm
I always tip my kids counselors some get more because my kid comes supper happy home and some just torture. Like my oldest kid loves her jr. counselors they make it extra fun for them and I will tip each and everyone of them. Then I have my younger daughter when she comes crying everyday because her morah forced her to go swimming, I called her few times and still she forces her. once she even took a hose and hosed my girl down Sad I called again and I personally think she shouldn't be morah cause she has no heart. guess what I am not tipping her for torturing my child.
I remember myself working in camp in boro park in chasidish camp no one tipped me. I worked very hard. I am modern orthodox and I think tips are very important to show your appreciation but not everyone deserves it.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 2:35 pm
Shoshana37 wrote:
I always tip my kids counselors some get more because my kid comes supper happy home and some just torture. Like my oldest kid loves her jr. counselors they make it extra fun for them and I will tip each and everyone of them. Then I have my younger daughter when she comes crying everyday because her morah forced her to go swimming, I called her few times and still she forces her. once she even took a hose and hosed my girl down Sad I called again and I personally think she shouldn't be morah cause she has no heart. guess what I am not tipping her for torturing my child.
I remember myself working in camp in boro park in chasidish camp no one tipped me. I worked very hard. I am modern orthodox and I think tips are very important to show your appreciation but not everyone deserves it.

Please call the camp director, if this is a "real" (not backyard camp).

My two oldest have been counselors, and although the lifeguards are technically in charge of swim time, the counselors are obligated -- OBLIGATED -- to get all of their kids into the pool, and to be in there with them. The camp has docked their pay and even suspended them for a day for not doing this.

My kid feels bad about doing it, but she's not losing her paycheck over it.

So please, call the camp. It may be their rules. And you absolutely should complain about it.

Shoshana37

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 2:40 pm
really, why would they force the kids go swimming. some kids don't like cold water and it's really shouldn't be done by force. also I think Morah should call me and discuss this with me instead of hosing down my daughter with water. she is only 5 and she is scaring my child.

princessleah

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 5:11 pm
I received this form my camp today, I think they did a good job explaining the rationale:

As this wonderful summer draws to a close, I'd like to share a reminder and explanation about our no-tipping policy at XXX. XXX camps across the country (and the world) share this policy, motivated by a number of important concerns.

We believe that avoiding a tipping system creates a more equitable work environment for all staff. We also find that it helps us maintain a camp culture of community rather than service economy. Perhaps most importantly, this policy distances the socioeconomic status of families from the care that each individual child receives at camp.

In lieu of a tip, here are a couple of ways to express appreciation to the counselors who have worked so hard to give our campers a wonderful experience at camp:
• Consider making a gift to our Scholarship Fund in honor of your child’s counselors.
• Share appreciation with your child's counselors directly. Find them at our closing carnival on Thursday evening, and don't forget to make a "thank you" card with your child(ren) at the Thank You Card booth at the carnival.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children