Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
First-cousins?

miami85

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 2:56 pm
What type of dress would you recommend for a 2.5 yr old girl at a close 1st cousin's wedding? Long or short? How about a 5 yr old and 6 year-old boys? Do I get them suits? Or just new shirts, pants & ties? They already don't wear vests on Shabbos.

cm

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 3:26 pm
I suppose it depends on the fashion in your circles, but I wouldn't put a toddler in a long dress unless she were in the wedding. A dressy short dress is fine for a two-year-old.

miami85

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 3:29 pm
Will be a Brooklyn wedding in November.

out-of-towner

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 3:41 pm
IMO a 2 year old can get away with anything.

Blessing1

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 3:41 pm
Toddler should definitely wear a short party dress. A long dress for a little girl is pretty nerdy. Anything dressy goes for boys. I personally think 5&6 are to too young for suits.

DrMom

Post Sat, Aug 05 2017, 4:20 pm
I would think a toddler might trip over a long dress. I'd go with a shorter dress.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Aug 05 2017, 4:46 pm
My cousins did nothing, dressed like any other.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Aug 05 2017, 10:42 pm
In my circles (black hat) the cousins wear nice Shabbos clothing. If you're planning on shopping for yomim tovim anyway, have in mind to get an outfit that's appropriate for a wedding and also good for shabbos.

miami85

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 9:04 am
I guess that is what I would planning, for one of the cousins we're kind of close--that's kind of why I'm asking if they could get away with "more". I get the idea for my daughter, but what about my boys? Just a shirt and tie? They don't really wear vests anymore, but I'm wondering what they will agree to for yom tov--last Sukkos they still wore sweaters.

SYA

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 9:13 am
I've seen lately pants with rimming on the shirt (along collar and buttons) matching that of a tie.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 9:35 am
Is the bride/groom your first cousin or your daughter's?

My niece is getting married soon B"EH and my girls are wearing gowns to her wedding.

(This might sound funny but it actually is cheaper for me. My teens each own a gown that they have worn multiple times to weddings on both sides of the family, so the cost to me was up front, and split that among the weddings they've worn them to - my sister's, another niece, and this will be the 3rd....and for my younger DD, I rent a gown from a G'mach for her, and it's under $50....which is less than a fancy Shabbos dress would cost me....)

They would not wear gowns if the Kallah was my first cousin. However relationships can play a role, like if you're very close.....

byisrael

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 9:39 am
I would do suits - but not typical blue or grey, more like a blazer with shirt, tie and pants that match....

The jewish stores are pricey but imagine something like this with suede gray pants and a nice tie...
https://www.shirtstop.us/boys/......html

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 9:51 am
DrMom wrote:
I would think a toddler might trip over a long dress. I'd go with a shorter dress.

This.

If you have a Burlington Coat Factory near you, they often have a selection of relatively inexpensive toddler party dresses.

I wouldn't do a suit for your boys unless they will wear them on Shabbat. At most, gray pants and a blue blazer, but I'd skip even that. (And keeping with my budget advice above ... on the few occasions my boys needed a blazer when they were little, we got them on ebay. Kids wear them once for Easter or a wedding, then they sell them.)

mommyhood

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 10:20 am
Are any other first cousins wearing gowns? If they are I'd get one for the 2 year old if not a nice shabbos dress is fine. The dresses are usually hemmed right above the shoes so they don't trip and they love feeling like a princess.
For the boys I would do suits or suspenders and bow ties

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 4:06 pm
For my nephew's wedding the girl cousins all wore gowns in the wedding color. The two year olds wore matching gowns too, but if your two your old is your only girl I could see her looking strange in a gown.

For boys, mine are not the suit type. Instead, I got them thin vests and ties in the color of the wedding party. You can find them very very cheaply on amazon in every color under the sun. I must say, my boys looked very sharp in their vests and they even wore them again on several occasions (though I wouldn't have cared if they never got worn again, they were a few bucks each).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics