Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Canadian child subsidies in the U.S.

malky800

Post Sat, Aug 05 2017, 11:06 pm
Do you know of someone who lives in the USA but has kids who are Canadian citizen's.
And they get government child subsidies to their USA address legally?
Someone mentioned this to me and I'm trying to figure out if it a real legal thing.

Frenchfry

Post Sat, Aug 05 2017, 11:15 pm
Yes, it is a real thing. You have to have maintained residential ties to Canada by having kept Canadian bank accounts and paid taxes in the country since you were gone. It also has to be the primary caregiver who applies, so it's a lot more difficult to get it off the father is the one who is Canadian. You can then get child tax benefits legally, based on your income and number of children. This is as of several years ago, though. I live in Canada, so they come to me automatically.

lech lecha08

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 11:11 am
We asked when we made aliya. The payments are supposed to stop if you're out of the country. Having said that, we informed them three different times we no longer lived in Canada and still kept getting the money.

Frenchfry

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 11:32 am
I know that those who I know that inquired, were told that they may collect it while out of the country. These were all people who wanted to make sure that what they were doing is legal and not"shtick". In two of the cases, they were only out of the country temporarily for a few years, and had tentative plans to return. That may have made the difference.

That's probably why you can only get it if you maintain financial and residential ties to Canada.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 1:54 pm
malky800 wrote:
Do you know of someone who lives in the USA but has kids who are Canadian citizen's.
And they get government child subsidies to their USA address legally?
Someone mentioned this to me and I'm trying to figure out if it a real legal thing.

this is information about the current program. Yes - like others have mentioned you need to be a Canadian resident to get the money.

https://www.canada.ca/content/.....e.pdf
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics