Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Poem for boss

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 10:32 am
Writing poems is one talent I just wish I had but unfortunately don't ;( I work in a special ed. school, and I'm leaving at the end of the summer. My boss is one amazing woman, so nice to both the kids and staff, who taught me soo much and would love to give her a nice poem with something small as a token of appreciation. If any of you can do me a huge favor and write something up, I would really really appreciate it. TIA!

Simple1

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 10:46 am
A sincere letter can be just as good or better than a poem. Without the constraints of rhymes, you are free to express your thoughts more clearly.

watergirl

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 10:51 am
It's very nice that you want to do this, but in most work environments is not proper etiquette to give a gift to your boss. You're supposed to only gift down, not gift up.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 10:57 am
You can PM me and give me details of what you want to express and I can write something up for you.

zaq

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 12:10 pm
I would seriously advise against a poem. It's cutesy, sounds less than sincere, and is not professional. A simple sincere note is vastly better. As in:

Dear Ms. FormerBoss:

Happy though I am to be moving ahead in my career (or resigning to be a full time parent or make Aliyah ), I am sad to be leaving Your School Name and all the good friends I have made here.

Thank for your unfailing faith in my abilities, teaching and encouragement over the past X years. You were not only a supervisor but a mentor who brought out the best in me. You taught as much by example as by direction. In future, when unsure how to proceed, I will think "What would Ms. FormerBoss do?"

I feel truly blessed to have worked with you and will always be grateful for your kindness and professionalism.

Sincerely yours,
Amother Orange

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 12:56 pm
Oh please no rhyming doggerel to former boss. It's immature and certainly not professional. Someone may have mentioned this up thread. I would get totally squeed out if I received a poem from a former employee. I like a nice thank you note at the most. Besides people who don't read poetry shouldn't be writing it, most sounds like something an 8th grader would be writing to her bestie.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 1:34 pm
If she's Israeli, she'll love it. They read poems here for every occasion.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 2:03 pm
amother wrote:

Iymnok

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 6:31 am
amother wrote:

Yeah, since they make it all plural or feminine it's easy to rhyme.
Write a sincere letter from your heart with specific examples.
Feeling comes through in your natural language. Poetry is not that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics