Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Starting salary lakewood men
1  2  Next

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 11:33 pm
What's the starting salary for men in lakewood coming out of yeshiva?

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 11:39 pm
For what position?

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 12:03 am
amother wrote:

Does he have any work skills? Experience? Training? What kind of work is he looking for?

I don't know what the unemployment figures look like in NJ but where I live unemp is at about 3%. There are always openings in the service sector for minimum wage.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 5:58 am
amother wrote:
For what position?

Or maybe we ought to ask how many children he has. Or do only women's salaries work like that?

watergirl

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 7:30 am
imasoftov wrote:
Or maybe we ought to ask how many children he has. Or do only women's salaries work like that?

I had a sad chuckle over your comment. Esp in light of last weeks thread from a woman here asking what a salary is, married with 1 kid. Goodness.

watergirl

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 7:39 am
amother wrote:

Rephrase this one of two ways.
1) What is the starting salary in New Jersey for someone in their 20s who has a high school education and no other work experince (other than maybe working at a camp)?
ANSWER: just above min wage, as this person has zero experince and no mention of any skills or even job description. This person will be most likely to find a job which will train on the job. Jobs pay differently depending on the work. A starting roofer will earn more than a bookstore clerk.

OR

2) what is the starting salary for a frum man who has been learning until now, mentioning location, gender, and yeshiva because in this town, its relevant.
ANSWER: starting in the low $20/hour, way more than a woman who is just starting. Because if a man in Lakewood is working, its also implied that he has children. Mention of his skills and type of job is irrelevant because even without education, he will get paid this starting salary regardless of his ability and technical skill.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 7:41 am
ok I quickly started this forum without providing much detail. My husband has no work experience. He is very familiar with Excel, Word ect. He is smart, ppl smart, quick learner ect. He has his BA from BMG and will likely get a degree or take courses. In the meantime we are looking into standard office positions what is the starting salary in lkwd for an office position with no previous work experience.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 9:07 am
watergirl wrote:
Rephrase this one of two ways.
1) What is the starting salary in New Jersey for someone in their 20s who has a high school education and no other work experince (other than maybe working at a camp)?
ANSWER: just above min wage, as this person has zero experince and no mention of any skills or even job description. This person will be most likely to find a job which will train on the job. Jobs pay differently depending on the work. A starting roofer will earn more than a bookstore clerk.

OR

2) what is the starting salary for a frum man who has been learning until now, mentioning location, gender, and yeshiva because in this town, its relevant.
ANSWER: starting in the low $20/hour, way more than a woman who is just starting. Because if a man in Lakewood is working, its also implied that he has children. Mention of his skills and type of job is irrelevant because even without education, he will get paid this starting salary regardless of his ability and technical skill.

Gosh all the poor woman did is ask an innocent question and she gets so many cynical answers.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 9:11 am
Hi mistyrose,
From my research when my husband when out to work the office jobs were paying 30,000 to 40,000 annual salary. Why don't you be in touch with PCS and see what they say? They are very experienced with this.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 9:18 am
There is so much anger and dare I say hatred on this site directed at lakewood amothers it frightens me. Every opportunity to mock is seized making me think ten times before I ask a question that mentions lakewood in any way. Ladies are we not all frum women? Why the mockery?

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 9:19 am
imasoftov wrote:

Yes this is very important info,

watergirl

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 10:02 am
amother wrote:
There is so much anger and dare I say hatred on this site directed at lakewood amothers it frightens me. Every opportunity to mock is seized making me think ten times before I ask a question that mentions lakewood in any way. Ladies are we not all frum women? Why the mockery?

There was no anger or hate, and it wasnt directed at Lakewood. Its frustration at posts and at the attitude that people have that we see in many posts. Until OP clarified a bit more, the OP was very similar to many that come on here - how much is such a person able to earn - not listing work experince or skill. Just stage of life. In this case, she did say in the OP that he had been learning.

Not for nothing, its an attitude that I am tired of, and it pops up all the time. And yes, this attitude is learned and expected and even, frighteningly supported. And this is why we have fully qualified "single girls" (who may be 30+ years old but no ring) making less than a married "woman" of 22. Because in some communities, you are paid for life stage, not skill and experience. Other than it bein blatantly illegal and discriminatory, its an air of entitlement that isnt ok.

I am not going to comment further. There is another recent thread about a woman with 1 child in Brooklyn with more thoughts on this that you are welcome to read.

giselle

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 11:08 am
Lakewood does seem to present itself to be an easy target of mockery and I say that as someone who's lived here all my life - BUT therefore we should put extra effort to constantly try to open our minds and not be judgmental - myself included

imasoftov

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 11:20 am
amother wrote:

The thread about salary (or "payroll") depending on family size didn't mention Lakewood.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 1:02 pm
imasoftov wrote:

My husband has a medium sized Lakewood based company with only frum male employees, all with different positions.
He does not pay his employees based on number of children, but if an employee asks for a raise because he just had another child, AND the employee is worthy of the raise, he will give it.
He does give pre yom tov bonuses based on whether the employee is single and living at home, or married with kids.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 1:10 pm
amother wrote:
ok I quickly started this forum without providing much detail. My husband has no work experience. He is very familiar with Excel, Word ect. He is smart, ppl smart, quick learner ect. He has his BA from BMG and will likely get a degree or take courses. In the meantime we are looking into standard office positions what is the starting salary in lkwd for an office position with no previous work experience.

It depends on the position and responsibilities.

My husband's hourly employees make anywhere from $17-$25/hour

Salaried $50-$90k based on responsibilities and experience.

His highest paid employee has been with him for 4 years, and started off way less than the salary he has now.

Just make sure your husband isn't like the many men who have turned down employment opportunities because they expect to make $100k+ right out of Yeshiva.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 1:54 pm
amother wrote:

"Sometimes a man sees what he want's to see and disregards the rest."

Seriously no one on this thread mentioned Lkwd. Heck I noted unemployment stats for the particular state I live in. The other thread wasn't about Lkwd either.

Paranoid much?

bargainlover

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 1:56 pm
Babypink, is your husband's company looking to hire now? For someone with experience.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 2:00 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
"Sometimes a man sees what he want's to see and disregards the rest."

Seriously no one on this thread mentioned Lkwd. Heck I noted unemployment stats for the particular state I live in. The other thread wasn't about Lkwd either.

Paranoid much?

The OP asked:

Quote:

While I don't think that the other thread referred to a locale, it was very clearly referring to somewhere in the US with a large concentration of frum-owned businesses that based compensation on marital status and number of kids, so there aren't that many places it could be.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 3:51 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
While I don't think that the other thread referred to a locale, it was very clearly referring to somewhere in the US with a large concentration of frum-owned businesses that based compensation on marital status and number of kids, so there aren't that many places it could be.

Duly noted.

I live beyond the pale, I sometimes forget that the center of the Jewniverse is located on the east coast.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics