Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
How can I bring spirituality back into my home/life?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 4:53 am
Its been a very long time since I have done anything spiritual in my life. I have a lot of anger at hashem for many different things. I think I have just gotten to this easy place where I dont want to really take part in anything having to do with religion.

But something I read yesterday sort of made me realize that it is very possible that my entire household can feel the vibes I might be putting out subconsciously and I dont like that and I dont want that.

I am still angry at hashem, but I really want to try to being some ruchnius back into my life. I dont know how to do that. Davening is extremely hard for me, but that is something that I can try to do. But what other things would you think of when you think of spirituality / yiddishkeit in your home. What can I do? I just cant figure it out. And I feel the desire to do this so strong, but cant figure out how to really do this.

(the anger is not going to go away. Its part of me, but I want to sort of live with it and move on at the same time)

zaq

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 6:26 am
Jewish music, with or without words.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 8:23 am
zaq wrote:
Jewish music, with or without words.
Interesting that you should suggest that. I never stopped listening to very moving jewish music. Its something thats in my soul. So, spot on, but its already in my home/life.

what else?

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 8:52 am
I can relate to how your feeling...Do you have any school age kids? I find that educating them about different aspects of yiddishkeit ie. Answering their questions, talking about the yom tov, hilchos shabbos...makes me feel like I'm taking part in at least giving over the right chinuch. It sort of like hitting refresh and reexperiencing things with your children can be sweet and innocent.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 8:58 am
I was also going to say Jewish music. But REAL Jewish music. Not the copycat songs that are originally not Jewish with pesukim added to it.
Also, I've found that Perek Shira helped me view Hashem positively. A perek shira with photographs , it's the song that every living thing sings daily to Hashem. If birds, trees and mountains praise Hashem, so can I.
Don't do too much at once. You need to take baby steps. Listening to a good speaker give a shiur is also good. We did that yesterday. My husband turned on Rabbi YY Jacobson and we all listened for an hour to an interesting historical story about the Rambam.
Try to find s speaker you are drawn to and listen in your free time. Those are all good starters.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 9:23 am
amother: I really feel for you. I really do. My heart stretches out to you.
I can hear your pain in your words.

You must have gone through a lot of challenges and painful situations to be feeling how you feel now.
You are angry at Hashem and in so much pain.

AND YET -

you still want to bring spirituality into your home.
You are concerned that your family shouldn't feel like you are feeling.

This is absolutely amazing of you.
I highly admire you.

Some ways to bring spirituality into a home which work for me. You can pick and discard.

- Like you and another poster said - Jewish music.

- kiss the mezuzah when you go in and out of a room. Doesn't mean every time you
enter and leave a room. But like twice a day. Or less if that is too much.

- Say one kapittel Tehillim when your family notices - you want to bring spirituality in for them

- When your family is around and/or s/one is relating something good or miraculous that
happened to them, e.g. little Yossi exclaims: "I found my ball that was lost," if you can say
"Baruch Hashem." or "Thank G-D" whichever way your family says that, loud enough that your family hears.

- Let them notice you putting a quarter into the tzedakkah pushka, or make it a before Shabbos excitement - your kiddies put a quarter or whatever currency of the country you live in, into the pushka lekavod Shabbos.

There are also many things you can instill into your family doing for Shabbos, which bring a lot of spirituality into one's home.

e.g. kids set the Shabbos table on Friday noon and enjoy twisting the napkins into fancy designs, e.t.c

- read with your young kids or if they are old enough to read alone; story books on mitzvos or Hashem Loves His Children or other along this line

- perhaps if one of your kids are about to eat s/thing ask him/her if he/r can say the bracha aloud, and whoever wants can answer, "Amen."

I think this is enough for now.

Wishing you a lot of hatzlocha and brocha and happiness in your life.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational