Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Do you get automatic yearly raises?

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 10:27 am
Do you get a small automatic raise every year? How do raises work by you? What field are you in?

I work the business office of a very large Yeshiva. The rebbeim get raises every year. I last got a raise 4 years ago. I just went to the boss and asked for a raise - he said you know you are asking for a 7 percent raise. I do not think that is a lot at all considering when my last raise was....If I were to have gotten a yearly raise of 2 percent Id be making more than Id be making after my 7 percent raise (if they give it to me). This got me thinking of how raises work in other places....Please share.

mha3484

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 10:34 am
I work in a tiny office. After my first year I had the choice of a dollar per hour raise or my boss would pay part of my insurance premium. It was a very similar amount in the end. After my second year I got a more substantial raise due to positive performance. I never had to ask B'H.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 10:48 am
I teach in a girls elementary school. Teachers get an automatic 1000 dollar raise every year

amother
Black

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 10:57 am
I work for a very large health care organization. We have annual increases that are dependent on satisfactory performance evaluation. The standard increase is roughly equivalent to cost-of-living, but with an excellent evaluation you could get a little more. A big jump in pay, more than a few percent, would require a job promotion with an increased level of responsibility.

madys

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 11:33 am
amother wrote:
I work for a very large health care organization. We have annual increases that are dependent on satisfactory performance evaluation. The standard increase is roughly equivalent to cost-of-living, but with an excellent evaluation you could get a little more. A big jump in pay, more than a few percent, would require a job promotion with an increased level of responsibility.

I could have written this word for work. 2% every July

Frenchfry

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 11:37 am
As a teacher we get an automatic raise every year, until we get to the top of the pay scale. Then the raise only comes when the whole scale is raised.

My husband is a Rebbe and he hasn't gotten a raise in seven years. He did come in at a higher salary than others, it all depends on who you are and how you negotiate......sigh.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 1:56 pm
I work for a large publishing company. We all get a standard 2-3% cost of living raise each year. But publishing salaries are low. So 2% of nothing equals nothing!

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 2:28 pm
I work as a nurse with many management responsibilities in a NY nursing home. Automatic raises? Ha! Nope. Not at all.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 4:25 pm
I work in a grant-generated position and this past year I didn't get a raise at all. Kind of disappointed by that.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 4:38 pm
amother wrote:
I work in a grant-generated position and this past year I didn't get a raise at all. Kind of disappointed by that.

Perhaps there wasn't a raise included in that year's budget? Or if there was it could have been reallocated to another line item cost.

One of the nice things about the federal grant system now that it's online, the software builds in a standard COLA if you forget.

Where I live most private businesses give at least a COLA indexed to the closest metro area. I think it's incumbent for new hires to specifically address issues of performance reviews, pay increases after trial service or a training period, bonuses etc. It is acceptable and normal for these conversations to happen after hiring.

saralem

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 5:59 pm
Nope. I also work in healthcare, at a not for profit hospital. No such thing as a COLA. I don't think that raises should be automatic. They should be based on performance, either individual or organizational. My hospital does market increases based on comparitive salaries in the region. This year, many of my colleagues received an increase based on that.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 7:14 pm
I work in a private health-industry-related company, for profit.

We have to BEG for raises and nearly everyone gets pushed away or denied. We never have performance reviews and raises are certainly not annual.

If you do get a raise, our boss asks you not to tell anyone so that our colleagues don't all ask for raises at the same time. Rolling Eyes

lora

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 8:09 pm
I work in a medium sized one office business and get a yearly extremely decent raise (over $2.50 and hour at least.)

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 8:36 pm
I am a teacher and I do not get an automatic raise, have never gotten a raise. Wow I didn't even realize so many people get raises like that, even in teaching.

groisamomma

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 10:33 pm
I am a teacher and I get an automatic annual raise. With every year of experience the base salary goes up. Sometimes I wish our raises were performance-based.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 11:50 pm
I work in a school business office. The higher end teachers/admin usual get raises but not every year. I usually get 1000 a year.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics