Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Phooey on Formula

chaiyaz

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 12:47 pm
B"H, I finally have gotten my son on a bottle (I am having to return to work in a few weeks), but he will only take breast milk. I have tried adding a little formula to breast milk and he won't take it. I tried both regular milk formula and soy formula, won't take it.
I have been pumping but (b/c I want to nurse in morning and evening when I am home with him) there is no way I can produce enough to last him during the day while at daycare.
SUGGESTIONS??

amother

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 12:50 pm
Keep trying. Give it when hes really hungry, and eventually he'll get used to it.

mumoo

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 1:21 pm
have someone else give him the formula. Waiting until he is really hungry is a good idea- but to a point. If he is too hungry he is more easily frustrated and can become hysterical. Also try during calm playtime to get him used to it.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 4:36 pm
Have you spoken to an LC about trying to increase your supply? Sometimes relaxation techniques help with letdown, there are galactagogues you can take (fenugreek is a common herb), foods help, increased pumping frequency, power pumping, etc.
It also could be related to the pump --- what pump you have, if it's new or used, do the shields fit you right.

I wouldn't take his rejection to formula so lightly. Sometimes this is an indication that there is an allergy (milk and soy are very common), and it could be with a little help, you can pump enough for your baby. It takes a bit of time to get the hang of it, but even if you need to pay for an LC visit, you'll be saving on the formula. Think about it. I'm sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear, but I just thought I would add my perspective because I know many women who have been able to increase pumped milk supply successfully with a little hadracha.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 4:41 pm
I had the same problem but for different reasons. I had some unexplainable problem (which I didnt have with subsequent children) where it hurt SO SO much to nurse. I tried different LCs and none could help me. Well I was exclusively pumping so he wasnt used to formula and wouldnt take it. Let's just say he was a very very stubborn kid. So I had to add a DROP and I mean a DROP of formula to my milk over a span of a few days. Like I would add 5 ml into a 120 ml bottle and let it go like that for a large part of the week. Then up it to 10 for a few days etc. Let's just say that also bc I was always stressing about if I was producing enough, sometimes davka bc of that I didnt. And when I saw he would take the formula slowly, my body started producing less milk.

Pickle Lady

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 7:42 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I wouldn't take his rejection to formula so lightly. Sometimes this is an indication that there is an allergy (milk and soy are very common), .

When I was pregnant and had to supplement my son with formula, he would nomt take it. I was told to let him starve and he will take it. Well he went a solid 24 hours not eating and still refusing the formula. I finally found out later that he was severly allergic to dairy.

chaiyaz

Post Wed, Oct 24 2007, 12:09 pm
Thanks for the suggestions thus far!
I have tried soy and milk, he isn't fond of either one. What do you end up giving to a baby that is allergic to both (not that my child is)? Is that common?
I tried just waiting until he gave in to take it, but the little guy went for 9 hours w/o eating b/c he wouldn't take the formula bottle. So, I was a softy and gave in nursing him.
I will try adding a little at a time-it seemed like a similar situation and hopefully it will work.
Any other ideas are SO welcomed!!
Thanks again!!!! You gals are the best help for first time moms!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Oct 24 2007, 12:37 pm
It is common for there to be a cross-allergy between dairy and soy, and it is common for babies who are allergic to reject it.

I can't really give you much formula advice, but I think you shouldn't take the rejection lightly. Actually, take the fact that he likes you stronger Smile

If you would like help in trying to increase pumping, I can try my best.

shlumzmum

Post Wed, Oct 24 2007, 12:41 pm
ds is allergic to milk and soy and never wanted formula, I nursed him till 14 months, he ate most solids and at night he had rice dream in his bottle
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics