Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Should I buy my 10 yr old daughter a Kipling?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 11:19 pm
Over the years I learned what Kipling is ..from here! I am really not so up to date with these things. I guess I am a practical kind of person, not so fashionable. My kids are usually neat and clean but they are not sporting name brands. In the past we bought school bags in walmart, 5 Below and the like. I really can't justify spending so much on a school bag when there are other options! My 10 yr old dd struggles very much in school Sad Things are just so hard for her ... she asked me to buy her a kipling for this coming school year. I googled and can't believe how expensive they are. I showed her GAP bags, Lands End (sale today) but she only wants a kipling. I want her to be happy and confident when she goes back to school. Does that justify spending that amount??

CDL

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 11:35 pm
If it helps, they last forever. Really. And stay in great condition. If you decide to go for it, id recommend a darker color so it looks nice for longer. Also, you might be able to find a good price on eBay or some other second hand site, or if your on the east coast try the Kipling outlet in Woodbury commons.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 11:40 pm
If this is a one time thing, not an every other week kind of thing.. then yes. You can have her earn some money at home to put towards it if you want. It's very validating when a parent understands how important something is to you, and makes it happen; this is not always possible, but when it is, grab the opportunity.

Kugglegirl

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 11:46 pm
I'd watch what you get started with this kippling.

http://www.43folders.com/2007/.....ipple

mha3484

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 11:47 pm
I have two Kipling bags that are over 20 years old and they look brand new. It's one of the few things out there that's worth spending that much money on.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 08 2017, 11:59 pm
If you have the money for it and can do it for her as a one time special thing, I'm sure she'd appreciate it.

L K

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 12:47 am
To quote op, 100% justified if it makes her happy and confident to go to school.

Being practical and having bought $10-20 backpacks in target and local supermarket, I can now say it's worth buying a more expensive bag because they last longer. My kids cheap backpacks fall apart by the end of the year. Sometimes even sooner.

Last year my kids used landsend and Kipling(boought on very good sales plus coupons)and they look like new. Excellent shape and clean!! I got them embroidered, I think Kipling was free. Kids felt like a million dollars.

our deal re Kipling was the bags would be for 2 years, which would come out to the same price as 2 bags from target. That's how their friends arranged with their parents too.

If you can afford it I say go for it. The right bag, accessories, supplies and shoes can make it for a girl this age. You're being a caring and thoughtful mother.

chayamiriam

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 7:31 am
Its so important for a little girl who is struggling in school to have something she feels good about! Please buy it for her, and let her at least start school feeling good. The right accessories for a girl in school can really make a difference. These are the things she will remember as an adult about you trying to make her happy and fit in. Yes names should not be important but the reality is in school at 10 years old they are vital!

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 7:36 am
When I was a kid everyone had lands end, the ones on wheels. My mom told me that if I wanted one I needed to earn it by doing extra chores and helping around the house. I felt so good afterwards, like it was my backpack since I had worked for it. I think you should ask her to help out a bit more and make her feel like she earned it for being big and responsible so now she is old enough to take care of a more expensive bag.

I remember in high school girls got new Kipling back twice or three times a year.... That got annoying....

DrMom

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 8:00 am
amother wrote:
Over the years I learned what Kipling is ..from here! I am really not so up to date with these things. I guess I am a practical kind of person, not so fashionable. My kids are usually neat and clean but they are not sporting name brands. In the past we bought school bags in walmart, 5 Below and the like. I really can't justify spending so much on a school bag when there are other options! My 10 yr old dd struggles very much in school Sad Things are just so hard for her ... she asked me to buy her a kipling for this coming school year. I googled and can't believe how expensive they are. I showed her GAP bags, Lands End (sale today) but she only wants a kipling. I want her to be happy and confident when she goes back to school. Does that justify spending that amount??

I don't know what the cost of this bag is, but I think it's important for children to understand the value of a dollar.

I would tell her that there are many nice, durable bags from other brands. If she really wants this expensive trendy brand instead, you can make a deal with her where she can work off the difference in chores.

How much is the difference?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 8:09 am
Where I live, Kipling bags are not in style. Yes, they're expensive, but they're not considered trendy.

Some sites where I've found Kipling bags on sale over the last couple of years ($45 range) include Amazon and Macy's- just check the dimensions before purchasing. Century 21 Department Stores also has great prices on them.

Simple1

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 8:29 am
I also thought that they were not so trendy any more.

Personally, I find the kids don't want stuff that lasts forever -it's exciting to come to school with a new bag.

I bought this last year and it lasted very nicely. There seem to be lots of colors and styles too. (I actually paid more than this price ).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....psc=1

zohar

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 9:33 am
I think Herschel is the new "in" brand school bags. I bought 2 as a gift for my teenaged neighbors who help me out often with babysitting. They loved them and I spent about $40 on each.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 9:39 am
I just bought DD (9) a navy kipling for $50 and I expect her to use it for the rest of elementary school.

I have another kipling from older DD - she used it for grade 6-8 - and younger DD used it last year - and it still looks new. The only reason I bought a new one is because this one is medium sized, and I bought her a large. Knowing this DD - she will leave her looseleaf folder on the bus if it doesn't fit in her briefcase (older DD carried that separately). I don't want to be replacing that or going to the bus station all year. I know my kid!

OP, if your DD wants a kipling, get her to agree she will use it for a few years. It's worth the price then. If it survived my younger DD, that's saying something for the quality like nothing else.

ETA: Where I live, the girls are using kiplings in elementary school. For high school, they are not considered "in".

rainbow dash

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 10:18 am
We have here a WhatsApp group for giving away and selling stuff. I got for free 5 kipling bags for all my kids.

maidale

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 11:21 am
My daughters each get a new kipling bag when they enter first grade. Theu use it throughout elementary school and it comes out still looking amazing. For high school they get another bag which lasts them throughout high school. I usually get them on sale. They are an investment. The backbacks get then used for trips/travelling and the little bags get passed down to the next kid entering nursery. Theu're totally worth it and if it help your child who is strugling, I'd definitely invest.

imasinger

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 11:39 am
I've been back and forth in my thinking about your question, but my current spin is this.

If you buy it for her, and she is, in fact, NOT more happy and secure in the coming year, is she the type who will have learned an important lesson about the limits of money to buy happiness?

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 11:46 am
rainbow dash wrote:
We have here a WhatsApp group for giving away and selling stuff. I got for free 5 kipling bags for all my kids.

How in the world does that help OP or answer her question?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 11:53 am
amother wrote:
How in the world does that help OP or answer her question?

Simple. She seems to be suggesting that op may try joining such a group and seeing if she can find one.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 11:56 am
Simple1 wrote:

Personally, I find the kids don't want stuff that lasts forever -it's exciting to come to school with a new bag.

I agree! I feel the same, especially when it comes to clothes. I'd rather spend less on clothes and buy more often. Not only do I have the thrill of shopping and new stuff, I get to be more stylish.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics